Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

more stress fracture questions

Posted by Paula on 9/15/00 at 19:35 (028329)

should i stop trying to walk at all until an mri or cat scan is done. if it's a fracture will i do irreparable damage if i walk on it? and which is better mri or cat ?

Re: more stress fracture questions

Dr. Biehler on 9/15/00 at 20:44 (028339)

Pain on lateral and medial compression is usually followed with an x-ray to rule out a fracture of the calcanious. Depending on what is seen and MRI or CAT Scan is used to either confirm the diagnoses or see the exstent of the damage. If there is a delay before the x-rays are taken, the patient is advised to stay off the foot as much as possible. Pain is the big guide in this area. The more painfull it is the less weight bearing that should be done on it. All sports activities , etc are out untill a look at the x-rays is done.

Paula on 9/15/00 at 21:12 (028343)

dr b, foot has been xrayed and shown no fracture, prior to last doc squeezing heel so hard. i'll get an mri or cat scan and stay off foot. geez. i'd stayed off it for 3 weeks already and was making a little progress in pf department.
so which is better mri or cat? which is safer, cheaper, better?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/16/00 at 06:09 (028358)

I think a CAT or cheaper. I do know a three phase bone scan if cheaper but not nearly as specific as mri. MRI is the test to go with it will rule out stress and in addtion evaluate all of the ligment,tendons, including good old plantar fascia

Dr. Biehler on 9/15/00 at 20:44 (028339)

Pain on lateral and medial compression is usually followed with an x-ray to rule out a fracture of the calcanious. Depending on what is seen and MRI or CAT Scan is used to either confirm the diagnoses or see the exstent of the damage. If there is a delay before the x-rays are taken, the patient is advised to stay off the foot as much as possible. Pain is the big guide in this area. The more painfull it is the less weight bearing that should be done on it. All sports activities , etc are out untill a look at the x-rays is done.

Paula on 9/15/00 at 21:12 (028343)

dr b, foot has been xrayed and shown no fracture, prior to last doc squeezing heel so hard. i'll get an mri or cat scan and stay off foot. geez. i'd stayed off it for 3 weeks already and was making a little progress in pf department.
so which is better mri or cat? which is safer, cheaper, better?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/16/00 at 06:09 (028358)

I think a CAT or cheaper. I do know a three phase bone scan if cheaper but not nearly as specific as mri. MRI is the test to go with it will rule out stress and in addtion evaluate all of the ligment,tendons, including good old plantar fascia