Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

a little more hope

Posted by Nancy S. on 9/15/00 at 23:09 (028356)

Today, because it was raining and he couldn't work, my husband asked to come to PT with me (maybe he wondered if that's REALLY where I go three times a week! no no, he's truly interested). He asked her all sorts of questions the whole time, and I learned a lot: the thing that sticks out in my mind is that she answered one of his questions with 'Twice especially I have noticed that there is definitely less ankle and tendon swelling, and today is one of those times.' (I thought so too, before I went, but I scrutinize these babies so many times a day that I don't know if I can tell anymore. I wish I had a 'before' picture.)
Of course, maybe because my husband was there watching, she dug in unusually deep today during the massage. Yikes.
But I've Graduated (let's not get too excited, it's just one of many that will be needed, but I AM excited): I'm moving on to another level of Acu-Flex exercise -- pointing my foot, with all toe loops and the foot loop on, and pulling back ever so lightly with the Acu-Flex (keeping my feet in their pointed positions) to create a slight resistance and thus a further strengthening of the feet.
I've done this twice today, and as I expected my worse foot shook; new muscles are being further challenged. If all goes as it did when I started out, this shaking should stop before a week is up, and I will be thrilled to see and feel additional foot strength. We'll see -- I'll post about it, you lucky dogs.
Salina, my husband is very friendly tonight. What does this mean??
Nancy

Re: a little more hope...I'll drink to that!

Steve P on 9/16/00 at 10:24 (028371)

Nancy --- Excellent! But one thought crosses my mind....When are you going to graduate back into the pool?!
I hope you don't mind my bugging you about this again, but swimming has been so beneficial for me that I am hoping the same for you. Maybe it's time to discuss it with your PT again?

???

congrats on your progress.....Steve

Nancy S. on 9/16/00 at 12:05 (028380)

Thank you, Steve. I'm hoping to graduate to the pool in the near future, actually. I still have too much ankle swelling, and too much pain if I do constant pointing and flexing, to swim without causing a setback right now. I only do these things in short sets on the floor at home and stop before the pain point. Swimming was a great help for the PF; it's just a bit hard on the tendonitises (even my nonathletic but constant mermaid flowing type of swimming!).
Since I am having progress now with these movements from the exercises I'm doing, I do think the pool is in the cards, and I will ask my PT week by week until she hands me my pool cap & gown.
How are you doing, Steve?
Believe me, I don't mind you 'bugging' me at all. It doesn't feel like bugging, it feels someone encouraging me, so I thank you.
Nancy

Beverly on 9/16/00 at 17:08 (028397)

Nancy,

That is wonderful! You need to hear good news after all you have been through. Incidentally, I was having a pretty good day today. I was not pain-free, but I could do alot more than usual. I know I was on my feet too long. Then I remembered what happened to you when you were on your feet too long after your PF started getting better. I sure don't want tendonitis in my ankles on top of PF. So I got my butt parked in my Lazy Boy and spent the rest of the day with my feet up, plus ice off and on.

I remain interested in how you progress with the Acu-Flex.
Beverly

Nancy S. on 9/16/00 at 17:27 (028400)

Smart lady, Beverly! Park it when you know you've done enough -- and especially when you even begin to suspect you're doing too much. If we avoid those setbacks, we can make gradual, continual progress -- especially when we're doing exercises along with the rest to avoid atrophy. (Of course, I didn't avoid atrophy -- I'm Atrophied! It happened so fast, or so it seemed.) So in a way, I'm 'behind' -- I have to get back my feet and legs strength, and THEN avoid atrophy. But I'm not looking at myself as being on any scale. I am where I am, and each day is another chance to work toward making future todays better. But I'm trying to take each day as it comes and accept where I am on whatever day today is. It helps keep tension and worry away and leaves my physical self more relaxed and open to healing things.
I'm by no means perfect at accomplishing all these lofty things each and every day. I think I'm just getting a little better at it, a little more interested in it, a little less prone to those days of despair we all have sometimes.
Thanks for your support, Beverly.
Nancy

Re: I'm thinking this PT stuff does it for these guys!!! LOL eom.

salina on 9/16/00 at 20:01 (028418)

eom

Steve P on 9/16/00 at 10:24 (028371)

Nancy --- Excellent! But one thought crosses my mind....When are you going to graduate back into the pool?!
I hope you don't mind my bugging you about this again, but swimming has been so beneficial for me that I am hoping the same for you. Maybe it's time to discuss it with your PT again?

???

congrats on your progress.....Steve

Nancy S. on 9/16/00 at 12:05 (028380)

Thank you, Steve. I'm hoping to graduate to the pool in the near future, actually. I still have too much ankle swelling, and too much pain if I do constant pointing and flexing, to swim without causing a setback right now. I only do these things in short sets on the floor at home and stop before the pain point. Swimming was a great help for the PF; it's just a bit hard on the tendonitises (even my nonathletic but constant mermaid flowing type of swimming!).
Since I am having progress now with these movements from the exercises I'm doing, I do think the pool is in the cards, and I will ask my PT week by week until she hands me my pool cap & gown.
How are you doing, Steve?
Believe me, I don't mind you 'bugging' me at all. It doesn't feel like bugging, it feels someone encouraging me, so I thank you.
Nancy

Beverly on 9/16/00 at 17:08 (028397)

Nancy,

That is wonderful! You need to hear good news after all you have been through. Incidentally, I was having a pretty good day today. I was not pain-free, but I could do alot more than usual. I know I was on my feet too long. Then I remembered what happened to you when you were on your feet too long after your PF started getting better. I sure don't want tendonitis in my ankles on top of PF. So I got my butt parked in my Lazy Boy and spent the rest of the day with my feet up, plus ice off and on.

I remain interested in how you progress with the Acu-Flex.
Beverly

Nancy S. on 9/16/00 at 17:27 (028400)

Smart lady, Beverly! Park it when you know you've done enough -- and especially when you even begin to suspect you're doing too much. If we avoid those setbacks, we can make gradual, continual progress -- especially when we're doing exercises along with the rest to avoid atrophy. (Of course, I didn't avoid atrophy -- I'm Atrophied! It happened so fast, or so it seemed.) So in a way, I'm 'behind' -- I have to get back my feet and legs strength, and THEN avoid atrophy. But I'm not looking at myself as being on any scale. I am where I am, and each day is another chance to work toward making future todays better. But I'm trying to take each day as it comes and accept where I am on whatever day today is. It helps keep tension and worry away and leaves my physical self more relaxed and open to healing things.
I'm by no means perfect at accomplishing all these lofty things each and every day. I think I'm just getting a little better at it, a little more interested in it, a little less prone to those days of despair we all have sometimes.
Thanks for your support, Beverly.
Nancy

Re: I'm thinking this PT stuff does it for these guys!!! LOL eom.

salina on 9/16/00 at 20:01 (028418)

eom