Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cast blues/anxiety

Posted by Chris on 9/16/00 at 21:14 (028429)

Over the past few years I've had to wear casts on my left foot when being treated for heel spurs. In fact I'm in one now as of Friday. I'm young and single and want to be out and about but these casts are dragging me down. I feel almost embarrassed to go out. I don't like feeling helpless. I'm tired of the looks and the questions - Please help.

Re: Cast blues/anxiety

Nancy N on 9/16/00 at 21:22 (028430)

I spent two months in a cast earlier this year, so I can relate. It got real old real fast--thankfully it wasn't too hot yet, either! And the cast did me absolutely no good.

Are you a candidate for ESWT? Have you tried things other than the casts, like the stretching, or injections (they're not fun, but sometimes they do help). Let us know what else you've tried, and we might be able to offer some suggestions.

Hang in there.

Pauline on 9/17/00 at 13:00 (028466)

Hi Chris,
I can just immagine what you are experiencing. Forget about the looks and carry on the best you can. I hope that the cast produces good results for you. I don't think I could stand one. The one and only time the Dr. put one on in 1993 he had to cut off in the ER room that night because my blood pressure from panic attack went over 200.

I hope I never break anything. You will notice that some people who have used cast get great results and others poor. I think it's just your own system. You can only do what the Dr thinks is correct for you ---if at any time you decide something is not to you benefit then it's time to look for another Dr. Not everyone treats the same.

Two times and maybe he's out. The choice is yours. Remember as long
as your are sane and alert your in charge of your own body. Your choose what is right for you. Keep looking forward.

Chris on 9/17/00 at 13:12 (028468)

Two of the casts I've worn were following injections. The one I'm in now is without the injection. I'm feeling somewhat more confident in the cast today - just headed out to the store like nothing was wrong. Still get people asking questions but feeling better about answering them one girl even asked to sign it. It's just that it's not like me to not be 100%.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/17/00 at 20:54 (028493)

not trying to be funny but you have to make lemonade out of lemons. Only let the girls sign your cast if they will go out with you. Tell the girls that you meet that you want and need a smile and you have the best smile I have seen since I got in my cast. Anythng will work girls love casts., and they love to pay attention to anything that is hurt.

Nancy N on 9/16/00 at 21:22 (028430)

I spent two months in a cast earlier this year, so I can relate. It got real old real fast--thankfully it wasn't too hot yet, either! And the cast did me absolutely no good.

Are you a candidate for ESWT? Have you tried things other than the casts, like the stretching, or injections (they're not fun, but sometimes they do help). Let us know what else you've tried, and we might be able to offer some suggestions.

Hang in there.

Pauline on 9/17/00 at 13:00 (028466)

Hi Chris,
I can just immagine what you are experiencing. Forget about the looks and carry on the best you can. I hope that the cast produces good results for you. I don't think I could stand one. The one and only time the Dr. put one on in 1993 he had to cut off in the ER room that night because my blood pressure from panic attack went over 200.

I hope I never break anything. You will notice that some people who have used cast get great results and others poor. I think it's just your own system. You can only do what the Dr thinks is correct for you ---if at any time you decide something is not to you benefit then it's time to look for another Dr. Not everyone treats the same.

Two times and maybe he's out. The choice is yours. Remember as long
as your are sane and alert your in charge of your own body. Your choose what is right for you. Keep looking forward.

Chris on 9/17/00 at 13:12 (028468)

Two of the casts I've worn were following injections. The one I'm in now is without the injection. I'm feeling somewhat more confident in the cast today - just headed out to the store like nothing was wrong. Still get people asking questions but feeling better about answering them one girl even asked to sign it. It's just that it's not like me to not be 100%.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/17/00 at 20:54 (028493)

not trying to be funny but you have to make lemonade out of lemons. Only let the girls sign your cast if they will go out with you. Tell the girls that you meet that you want and need a smile and you have the best smile I have seen since I got in my cast. Anythng will work girls love casts., and they love to pay attention to anything that is hurt.