Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Diagnosis

Posted by Brook K on 9/17/00 at 11:14 (028454)

This past Wednesday, I woke and stepped out of bed and OUCH! My right heel hurt something terrible, with calf and hamstring soreness as well. I went through my normal day and only phoned the HMO on Thursday to find out what might be going on. They called back with a diagnosis of Plantar Fasciitis and information about what I might do to resolve the pain. So, now I've encountered a brand new situation and a new set of disciplines in an attempt to halt the pain and heal the heel (sorry... :)

This website has been exceptionally informative and also very scary. I hadn't pictured myself with such a serious problem and involved healing process. However, what puzzles me most is the description of the possible causes of PF. I don't run; I'm not overweight; I don't stand on my feet all day; I don't pronate while walking. So... why me?

I have been stretching my achilles tendon, icing my foot, resting more often and taking ibuprofen, all of which is reducing the pain. It is now no more than an ache. After reading the bulletin board, I'm thinking of heading out and buying some Birkenstocks. (Oof! that'll make a big hole in my budget!) I'm hoping to resolve this quickly.

Thanks for maintaining such an informative and casual and approachable bulletin board.

Re: New Diagnosis

Kim B. on 9/17/00 at 11:48 (028458)

Hi Brook, welcome aboard!

The why me? question, I can sure relate to. I am only slightly overweight and not a real athlete either, simular situation to yours maybe. For me, it was a result of moving into a new home with ceramic tile floor through out most of it. The hard concrete type surface and my barefoot eventually took it's toll. PF hit me nine months after we moved in here. I had also stated a treadmill walking program about 3 months earlier, so that may have added to the injury or been the straw that broke the camel's back. So my point is, look at the not so obvious things, your answer may be there.

Do a searh on the word 'cause' or 'reason' might help give you ideas from others. Good luck. Find your culprit, and that is the first step towards healing.

I can't easily move from our home, but I rarely go barefort on the ceramic tile floors anymore. Plus I put a large inexpensive area rug in my kitchen to help.

No one has mentioned 'shower shoes' lately so do a search on them too. Do all the things that will help a little and it will add up for you.

Regards, Kim B.

wendyn on 9/17/00 at 12:33 (028463)

Brook, did a doctor see or examine you? From your post - it sounds like they diagnosed you over the phone. I've never heard of that. If no one saw you, I'd push for an exam and discussion with a doctor. There are all kinds of things that can have symptoms that sound like PF....I don't think someone on the phone could know for sure. Usually a diagnosis will involve a physical exam to determine exactly what hurts and where. If it doesn't clear up in a reasonable amount of time with conservative measures..most doctors will do xrays and blood work to make sure there isn't anything else going on.

If it does turn out to be PF...it sounds like you're on the right track for helping yourself. Remember - don't go barefoot at all...this is really important.

For possible causes...did you recently start being more active than you were before? Anoter potential cause is wearing high heels during the week and then switching to flat shoes or bare feet on the weekend. I think sometimes there just is no cause.

I would really push for the exam though if they've diagnosed you over the phone and especially if you can't pinpoint any possible reason for this to happen now. The vast majority of us know what we did that set the PF off. For me it was running in bad shoes, and then later walking around on concrete in flat sandals.

Let us know how you do!

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/17/00 at 15:49 (028480)

This board has alot of great information. Listen to the above posts. Very important to see a doctor for a hands on examination. Could be a wart, or anything. Probaby is pf but need to have the doctor look, feel, and examination your foot.

Brook K on 9/21/00 at 00:26 (028792)

Wendy, thanks for the ideas and suggestions and, yes, to respond to your inquiries, I did get the diagnosis over the phone...you know, managed care. I did pursue an appointment with a podiatrist, but could only rangle an appointment with a physical therapist. At least the appointment was for today (the following day). I still can't attach the outbreak to anything. I don't run, I don't stand at work or walk on concrete, I don't have short achilles tendons (I've a very limber body), I'm not overweight. It's not high heels...I'm a guy and don't wear them. Perhaps it was the accrued tension of wearing not-so-great-sandals all summer. In any case, I'm following the directions of the PT and the original nurse I spoke with. And... it's getting a lot better. It's only been a week now, but the worst of the pain is gone. I'm hoping it's gone forever. One can hope.

Kim B. on 9/17/00 at 11:48 (028458)

Hi Brook, welcome aboard!

The why me? question, I can sure relate to. I am only slightly overweight and not a real athlete either, simular situation to yours maybe. For me, it was a result of moving into a new home with ceramic tile floor through out most of it. The hard concrete type surface and my barefoot eventually took it's toll. PF hit me nine months after we moved in here. I had also stated a treadmill walking program about 3 months earlier, so that may have added to the injury or been the straw that broke the camel's back. So my point is, look at the not so obvious things, your answer may be there.

Do a searh on the word 'cause' or 'reason' might help give you ideas from others. Good luck. Find your culprit, and that is the first step towards healing.

I can't easily move from our home, but I rarely go barefort on the ceramic tile floors anymore. Plus I put a large inexpensive area rug in my kitchen to help.

No one has mentioned 'shower shoes' lately so do a search on them too. Do all the things that will help a little and it will add up for you.

Regards, Kim B.

wendyn on 9/17/00 at 12:33 (028463)

Brook, did a doctor see or examine you? From your post - it sounds like they diagnosed you over the phone. I've never heard of that. If no one saw you, I'd push for an exam and discussion with a doctor. There are all kinds of things that can have symptoms that sound like PF....I don't think someone on the phone could know for sure. Usually a diagnosis will involve a physical exam to determine exactly what hurts and where. If it doesn't clear up in a reasonable amount of time with conservative measures..most doctors will do xrays and blood work to make sure there isn't anything else going on.

If it does turn out to be PF...it sounds like you're on the right track for helping yourself. Remember - don't go barefoot at all...this is really important.

For possible causes...did you recently start being more active than you were before? Anoter potential cause is wearing high heels during the week and then switching to flat shoes or bare feet on the weekend. I think sometimes there just is no cause.

I would really push for the exam though if they've diagnosed you over the phone and especially if you can't pinpoint any possible reason for this to happen now. The vast majority of us know what we did that set the PF off. For me it was running in bad shoes, and then later walking around on concrete in flat sandals.

Let us know how you do!

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/17/00 at 15:49 (028480)

This board has alot of great information. Listen to the above posts. Very important to see a doctor for a hands on examination. Could be a wart, or anything. Probaby is pf but need to have the doctor look, feel, and examination your foot.

Brook K on 9/21/00 at 00:26 (028792)

Wendy, thanks for the ideas and suggestions and, yes, to respond to your inquiries, I did get the diagnosis over the phone...you know, managed care. I did pursue an appointment with a podiatrist, but could only rangle an appointment with a physical therapist. At least the appointment was for today (the following day). I still can't attach the outbreak to anything. I don't run, I don't stand at work or walk on concrete, I don't have short achilles tendons (I've a very limber body), I'm not overweight. It's not high heels...I'm a guy and don't wear them. Perhaps it was the accrued tension of wearing not-so-great-sandals all summer. In any case, I'm following the directions of the PT and the original nurse I spoke with. And... it's getting a lot better. It's only been a week now, but the worst of the pain is gone. I'm hoping it's gone forever. One can hope.