Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

how long after surgery was a difference noted

Posted by deegej on 9/17/00 at 15:44 (028477)

how long after the initial healing period did you feel the surgery do you any good? how long did you wait before surgery?

Re: how long after surgery was a difference noted

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/17/00 at 17:55 (028481)

I would state that on an average patient will forget about the foot after six months from the heel spur surgery. This will be different for the type of heel spur surgery done. Waiting is a matter of personal preference between the doctor and patient. Alot of doctor won't do heel spur surgery before six months and one year . I feel that can be a long time to be in pain without any definite treatment.
With ESWT the treatments in my office have changed in two ways. We try to do ESWT before foot surgery. In some cases ESWT should be used very soon before the problem become worse. If you don't get any relief in the first few weeks then ESWT should be looked into. This is of course assuming that the patient has been properly dx and tx.

Re: how long after surgery was a difference noted

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/17/00 at 17:55 (028481)

I would state that on an average patient will forget about the foot after six months from the heel spur surgery. This will be different for the type of heel spur surgery done. Waiting is a matter of personal preference between the doctor and patient. Alot of doctor won't do heel spur surgery before six months and one year . I feel that can be a long time to be in pain without any definite treatment.
With ESWT the treatments in my office have changed in two ways. We try to do ESWT before foot surgery. In some cases ESWT should be used very soon before the problem become worse. If you don't get any relief in the first few weeks then ESWT should be looked into. This is of course assuming that the patient has been properly dx and tx.