Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heelspuroperation

Posted by Mary C on 9/17/00 at 20:13 (028487)

My husband underwent this operation in march 2000.He is still in pain. The wound healed slow .Nowadays he heard that there is some devellopment of dystrofie.He got ointment and paracetamol with codeine.3 weeks already. But still he has some pain .The aenesthesist offers a blockade of the particular nerve in the back.So that the pain is totally away in order to stop the dystrofie.My husband shrink from it.
He is thinking of totally numbness of the foot ,what maybe can trigger another disease.He has to make a dissiscion fast ,because he is told the dystrofie -treatment cannot postpone to long.
Do you have some experience with this kind of blockade and dystrophie?
My regards,Mary

Re: heelspuroperation

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/17/00 at 20:47 (028490)

Are you talking about Reflex Sympathetic Dystropy. This is a condition where early treatment is very important. Look under RSD in the search engine such as http://www.yahoo.com . If this is what he has then you must get early treatment such as an epidural nerve block. This I believe is the nerve block that you are talking about in the back.

Mary C on 9/17/00 at 21:18 (028497)

I don't know the name RSD ,but you have understand me very well.The doctor came to this conclusion after he saw the sweat ,some coldnes comparing with the other foot,the pain,and some thickness.In the first place he gave the pills and the ointment .That is what my husband is goiing for.The foot looks healthier after these 3 weeks of treatment. But I'm worring about the time he has left to do the epidural nerve blockade. My question is ,how is the effect of this treatment for the bodyhealth except the freedom of the pain?For your information ,it isn't possible to do this blockade here in Surinam. He will go to Holland if he deside to it.
Thank you for the information of the website on RSD.
My regards,Mary

Dr. Biehler on 9/18/00 at 06:17 (028506)

There are 3 stages to RSD. Once you get to the third stage it usually becomes irreversible. First stage 1-3 months, second stage 3-6 months. The nerve shots ' sympathetic blockade' usually can reverse the RSD. It is therorized that it is do to an incomlete nerve lession giving an exagerated autonomic respose. Sometimes it can be self limiting in the early first stage. If you are getting brawny skin and osteoporosis you are probably in stage two and need to listen to your doctor.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/18/00 at 12:52 (028526)

the epidural block stops the pain cycle but more important it increases circulation to the foot. Very important to get this nerve block. You may be two or three nerve blocks.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/17/00 at 20:47 (028490)

Are you talking about Reflex Sympathetic Dystropy. This is a condition where early treatment is very important. Look under RSD in the search engine such as http://www.yahoo.com . If this is what he has then you must get early treatment such as an epidural nerve block. This I believe is the nerve block that you are talking about in the back.

Mary C on 9/17/00 at 21:18 (028497)

I don't know the name RSD ,but you have understand me very well.The doctor came to this conclusion after he saw the sweat ,some coldnes comparing with the other foot,the pain,and some thickness.In the first place he gave the pills and the ointment .That is what my husband is goiing for.The foot looks healthier after these 3 weeks of treatment. But I'm worring about the time he has left to do the epidural nerve blockade. My question is ,how is the effect of this treatment for the bodyhealth except the freedom of the pain?For your information ,it isn't possible to do this blockade here in Surinam. He will go to Holland if he deside to it.
Thank you for the information of the website on RSD.
My regards,Mary

Dr. Biehler on 9/18/00 at 06:17 (028506)

There are 3 stages to RSD. Once you get to the third stage it usually becomes irreversible. First stage 1-3 months, second stage 3-6 months. The nerve shots ' sympathetic blockade' usually can reverse the RSD. It is therorized that it is do to an incomlete nerve lession giving an exagerated autonomic respose. Sometimes it can be self limiting in the early first stage. If you are getting brawny skin and osteoporosis you are probably in stage two and need to listen to your doctor.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/18/00 at 12:52 (028526)

the epidural block stops the pain cycle but more important it increases circulation to the foot. Very important to get this nerve block. You may be two or three nerve blocks.