Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What the heck is a chicken fried steak??????????

Posted by wendyn on 9/17/00 at 22:01 (028501)

All right you southern folks. I live in the Great White North. We say 'eh', drink much better beer than Americans, and we put weird things like vinegar or gravy on our french fries.

I do not have a clue what a chicken fried steak is. It sounds interesting but I'm willing to bet it's bad for cholesterol.

I have heard of grits, but I don't know what they are either. Something like oatmeal? My husband had them in South Carolina - he said they were gross, but he doesn't like trying different foods at the best of times. He also went to a 'Pig Picking Party' there. This was the first time I'd ever heard of this.

Please educate me.

Re: What the heck is a chicken fried steak??????????

Pauline on 9/18/00 at 09:53 (028514)

I've experienced Chicken Fried Steak in Texas. Basicly you take
any steak and bread it with seasoned crumbs and deep fry or pan fry
it. Then take in all the fat. Personally I perfer my steaks without breading but it was OK. I think the Southern version is usually a thin cut of beef and the Italians do something similar with New York
Strip. They usually pan fry the New York Strip rather than Deep Fry.

KarenS on 9/18/00 at 10:24 (028517)

I'm with you Wendyn, I live in Canada and have never had grits either. I've heard of it but never tried it. Chicken fried steak is another I've never heard of. Boy, are we missing something good?

Thanks Karen

john h on 9/18/00 at 14:58 (028531)

wendy: chicken fried steak is not bad for cholesterol it is cholesterol!

john h on 9/18/00 at 14:59 (028532)

chicken fried steak must be at least 50% thick thick gravy!

Barbara TX on 9/18/00 at 15:32 (028539)

It must be gravy that is white with lots of pepper... Now, THAT dog can hunt! B.

Re: Here is more detail than you probably want...

Kim B. on 9/18/00 at 17:36 (028561)

Well, get a good tendorized piece of sirloin (I guess it's sirlion) or we use good guality CUBE STEAK too. Don't try this with flank (or rather fahita steak), lots of resturuants make this mistake, thinking no one will notice since it's battered and friend anyway, WRONG. Flank steak really isn't even good for fahitas in my opinion, but I digress.

I saw the owner of a popular restaurant on a local moring show a few years ago. At 'Good Eats Cafe' here Texas, they tendorize the steak, dip it in raw eggs, roll it in flour, then they run it back through the eggs and back through the flour. That's too much trouble for me, I only make one run through the egg and four once. If I don't have eggs I'll just use milk or water. Then, fry over medium-high heat till meat is well done. Use lots of White country gravy over the top. (Yes it usually has lots of pepper in it.) Why am I telling you this (?), it is probably in some redneck cookbook somewhere. Oh well, it'typed so now I'm posting it.

I have high colesterol so, I only have this meal on special occasions. It is very fattening. And very good. This is also a good way to fry up some pork chops.

Re: NO! NO! That is NOT Chicken Fried Steak. See my post on "Grandma's cooking"...Gotta help you Northern Folks get it right.

Beverly on 9/18/00 at 17:50 (028566)

Pauline, good attempt, but that's not Chicken Fried Steak!
See my post on Grandma's Secrets...
Beverly

Re: Oops. Kim just gave good recipe, but I like mine too.

Beverly on 9/18/00 at 17:53 (028567)

eom...

Re: Well thanks "ya'all" Or is it "all y'all"

wendyn on 9/18/00 at 18:40 (028576)

This chicken fried steak sounds most interesting. Very fattening but interesting. I must say that I do not think I have ever seen 'grits' - instant or otherwise in a grocery store here. I most certainly have never seen grits or chicken fried steak offerred on a menu. But, I will be watching for them now.

Thank you for your cultural education...should any of you need to know how to say 'This pencil is red' in French - I'd be happy to reciprocate for our multi-cultural quest for enlightenment.

I could also explain the finer points of why hockey players are missing most of their teeth, why our national leader will never be involved in a 'Zippergate' and what 'Talking to Americans' is all about. You Canadians who watch 'This Hour has 22 Minutes' will know what I'm referring to.

You let me know.

Eh?

Nancy S. on 9/18/00 at 18:45 (028577)

Wendy:
______ ________ est rouge.

Is that right?
Does this next sentence make sense:

Votre voiture est mal?

Five years of French got me about this far, so what do you think?
Nancy

JudyS on 9/18/00 at 18:48 (028578)

Ha! Zippergate! That's just too perfect! I want to see this show..but I'm not sure I want to see the 'Talking to Americans' segment!

wendyn on 9/18/00 at 21:51 (028602)

Hmm Nancy - my 5 years of French didn't get me far either.

Votre Voiture est mal?

Is it... Do you shake?

Something like that? I don't really have a clue - I'm guessing.

I think 'crayon' (sp?)is pencil and stilo (sp?) is a pen.

I can say potato too....

pomme de terre. (means apple of the earth)

These are very important life skills.

I ever get lost in Quebec I can ask for a potato to write on.

;)

wendyn on 9/18/00 at 21:55 (028604)

Believe me - 'Talking to Americans' is the best part. I'm going to try to tape a few episodes before I head back to your great country next month. I'm sure my relatives will be pleased..especially since they don't share my sense of humor.

Re: It's just Y'all, short for you all. (eom)

Kim B. on 9/19/00 at 07:58 (028635)

eom

Pauline on 9/18/00 at 09:53 (028514)

I've experienced Chicken Fried Steak in Texas. Basicly you take
any steak and bread it with seasoned crumbs and deep fry or pan fry
it. Then take in all the fat. Personally I perfer my steaks without breading but it was OK. I think the Southern version is usually a thin cut of beef and the Italians do something similar with New York
Strip. They usually pan fry the New York Strip rather than Deep Fry.

KarenS on 9/18/00 at 10:24 (028517)

I'm with you Wendyn, I live in Canada and have never had grits either. I've heard of it but never tried it. Chicken fried steak is another I've never heard of. Boy, are we missing something good?

Thanks Karen

john h on 9/18/00 at 14:58 (028531)

wendy: chicken fried steak is not bad for cholesterol it is cholesterol!

john h on 9/18/00 at 14:59 (028532)

chicken fried steak must be at least 50% thick thick gravy!

Barbara TX on 9/18/00 at 15:32 (028539)

It must be gravy that is white with lots of pepper... Now, THAT dog can hunt! B.

Re: Here is more detail than you probably want...

Kim B. on 9/18/00 at 17:36 (028561)

Well, get a good tendorized piece of sirloin (I guess it's sirlion) or we use good guality CUBE STEAK too. Don't try this with flank (or rather fahita steak), lots of resturuants make this mistake, thinking no one will notice since it's battered and friend anyway, WRONG. Flank steak really isn't even good for fahitas in my opinion, but I digress.

I saw the owner of a popular restaurant on a local moring show a few years ago. At 'Good Eats Cafe' here Texas, they tendorize the steak, dip it in raw eggs, roll it in flour, then they run it back through the eggs and back through the flour. That's too much trouble for me, I only make one run through the egg and four once. If I don't have eggs I'll just use milk or water. Then, fry over medium-high heat till meat is well done. Use lots of White country gravy over the top. (Yes it usually has lots of pepper in it.) Why am I telling you this (?), it is probably in some redneck cookbook somewhere. Oh well, it'typed so now I'm posting it.

I have high colesterol so, I only have this meal on special occasions. It is very fattening. And very good. This is also a good way to fry up some pork chops.

Re: NO! NO! That is NOT Chicken Fried Steak. See my post on "Grandma's cooking"...Gotta help you Northern Folks get it right.

Beverly on 9/18/00 at 17:50 (028566)

Pauline, good attempt, but that's not Chicken Fried Steak!
See my post on Grandma's Secrets...
Beverly

Re: Oops. Kim just gave good recipe, but I like mine too.

Beverly on 9/18/00 at 17:53 (028567)

eom...

wendyn on 9/18/00 at 18:40 (028576)

This chicken fried steak sounds most interesting. Very fattening but interesting. I must say that I do not think I have ever seen 'grits' - instant or otherwise in a grocery store here. I most certainly have never seen grits or chicken fried steak offerred on a menu. But, I will be watching for them now.

Thank you for your cultural education...should any of you need to know how to say 'This pencil is red' in French - I'd be happy to reciprocate for our multi-cultural quest for enlightenment.

I could also explain the finer points of why hockey players are missing most of their teeth, why our national leader will never be involved in a 'Zippergate' and what 'Talking to Americans' is all about. You Canadians who watch 'This Hour has 22 Minutes' will know what I'm referring to.

You let me know.

Eh?

Nancy S. on 9/18/00 at 18:45 (028577)

Wendy:
______ ________ est rouge.

Is that right?
Does this next sentence make sense:

Votre voiture est mal?

Five years of French got me about this far, so what do you think?
Nancy

JudyS on 9/18/00 at 18:48 (028578)

Ha! Zippergate! That's just too perfect! I want to see this show..but I'm not sure I want to see the 'Talking to Americans' segment!

wendyn on 9/18/00 at 21:51 (028602)

Hmm Nancy - my 5 years of French didn't get me far either.

Votre Voiture est mal?

Is it... Do you shake?

Something like that? I don't really have a clue - I'm guessing.

I think 'crayon' (sp?)is pencil and stilo (sp?) is a pen.

I can say potato too....

pomme de terre. (means apple of the earth)

These are very important life skills.

I ever get lost in Quebec I can ask for a potato to write on.

;)

wendyn on 9/18/00 at 21:55 (028604)

Believe me - 'Talking to Americans' is the best part. I'm going to try to tape a few episodes before I head back to your great country next month. I'm sure my relatives will be pleased..especially since they don't share my sense of humor.

Re: It's just Y'all, short for you all. (eom)

Kim B. on 9/19/00 at 07:58 (028635)

eom