Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

show me the pain

Posted by john h on 9/18/00 at 15:06 (028534)

i was thinking today how i am looking forward to traveling from arkansas to new jersey. have a doctor give me 3 shots in each foot, 3000 shockwaves in each foot, pay him his well deserved fee and fly back home all in less than 36 hours. yes i am looking forward to this! 7 years ago you could not have paid me enough money to do what is now going to be fun. is this sick or what?

Re: Beverly

Kim B. on 8/04/00 at 12:14 (024636)

Sounds good to me Beverly. Maybe you can run by here or we can meet up halfway (Bennigans or Chilies, eat food and sit on our butts.) If we're both having a good day, we'll go shoe (or sock) shopping. There is GREAT place to get a massage or reflexolgy just around the corner from my house, btw. Email me direct: (email removed)

Regards, Kim B.

Re: show me the pain

Nancy S. on 9/18/00 at 15:48 (028541)

Sick is relative, John. Doesn't sound sick to me at all now! I hope you have a grand time and find yourself that much more improved afterward. Dr. Z., please remember John's martini this time.
Nancy

Beverly on 9/18/00 at 17:00 (028549)

John,

How are you feeling? Did it help? Does this mean you are going for a follow-up treatment. Hey, if I exhaust all my options and still have this, I will probably be flying to New Jersey too, and I HATE to fly!
Being a pilot you will find this silly, but I am TERRIFIED of airplanes. I was in a crash/emergency landing as a teenager, and I have not liked planes since.
Beverly

Re: Fear of Flying , Wendyn can help you with that Bev. eom

Kim B on 9/18/00 at 17:09 (028551)

eom

wendyn on 9/18/00 at 17:14 (028553)

I have to fly again next month. I really hate it too.-

I recommend lots of hypnosis, aromatherapy, relaxation, classical CD's - oh and a couple anti-nausea pills and a few shots of vodka. Probably not good for your liver, and I don't recommend it as a way to get through a regular day (they'll ship you off to Betty Ford clinic)- but it's better than completely losing control and freaking out on an airplane in front of horrified on lookers.

Beverly - if I can do it...you can do it. Trust me - I used to throw up for several days before flying. When I flew in April I didn't throw up at all! Baby steps. Baby steps.

wendyn on 9/18/00 at 17:18 (028554)

Seriously though Beverly - email me at home. I'd love to talk to you about this...and I can certainly understand where you're coming from.

john h on 9/18/00 at 17:33 (028559)

bev: do not be afraid of flying. be afraid of the pilots.

john h on 9/18/00 at 17:35 (028560)

you girls need to get your priorities straight! you are afraid of flying but can have babies!!!!! i will fly into the jaws of death before if would go through child birth.

john h on 9/18/00 at 17:37 (028562)

bev: be careful about discussing your fears with wendyn. it is sort of like discussing your alcholic problem with another alcholic.

JudyS on 9/18/00 at 18:07 (028569)

W - is it OK to have the few shots of Vodka even without getting ready to get on a plane? :)

Re: fear of flying

john m on 9/18/00 at 18:18 (028571)

I have terrible clautrophobia and have freaked out on many a flight especialy if I am in the middle or way in the back. My Dr. used to give me Xanax but I learned to like it too much and began mixing it with booze. I had to go to the hospital for another reason and had no access to Xanax and unbeknownst to me or the hospital I went in to withdrawl. It took 3 days and I was totally freaked. Hallucinations the whole nine yards.

Now i take Buspar. It is an anti anxiety med. I start taking the day before the trip-do not mix with booze. It really owrks and it doesn't make you stupid although I do get a little sleepy

wendyn on 9/18/00 at 18:32 (028575)

I have heard that Ativan works well...I am considering trying it. My fear would be that it may not be strong enough (maybe valium?). I would be afraid to take too many or have a drink if I didn't feel it was enough. We have an anti-nausea pill here called Gravol. It has a side effect of making most people groggy and a little sedated. You are not supposed to mix it with alchohol...however I have in the past used it on an airplane with a couple drinks and found that I simply don't really give a @@!# where I am after that.

I do intend to discuss this with my doctor before I fly again mid-October. Like I said -I've done it before, but I used to only fly about once every four years. This is the second time this year...and I don't want to do anything dangerous to myself.

It's a really annoying phobia because it's so restrictive....and it's one of the most difficult to treat because there are often so many fears at work. Fear of heights, confinement, loss of control and on and on and on. I am viewing at as just one more thing I have to deal with...and now matter how scared I am - I'm getting on the stupid plane again. Got my will in order last time - so I don't even have to go through that preparation again. I get on the plane with the full expectation that I'm going to die. I'm always pleasently surprised to walk off the plane at the end...

Knowing that people like John are pilots -and Rick R used to drive around with plane parts in his car(I still don't know if he was kidding) just does nothing to ease my fears.

Beverly on 9/18/00 at 18:58 (028579)

Wendy, if I get brave enough to fly home to Dallas area at Thanksgiving, I'll email you for tips. I did fly to Atlanta about six years ago. My past survival tactic has been to take a Valium and say, 'Wake me up when it's over.'
The other thing I hate about flying, and here is where I could use some tips, with allergies, my ears get stopped up and stay that way. The last time I flew it took me weeks for my ears to get back to normal.
And yes, I tried the usual things like chewing gum. Next time, I plan to take an antihistimine about an hour before flying. If anyone has other ideas, I'm all 'ears.'
Beverly

Re: Flying

Kim B. on 9/18/00 at 19:48 (028589)

Bev, O

ne of the valuable things that Wendyn pointed out to me, (she did fear of flying therapy or someting) is to take look at the crew and remember, they all have lives and families to get home to. They are trained to handle the sitution. And rememeber, people do actually survive plane crashs. Things like that are helpful to remember.

Also, hold your nose and mouth at the same time and try to blow out, that can open up the ears a little. It may be bad for your ears, I dunno, so don't rupture anything, OK. (I am not a medical doctor and make no claims to the safety or effectiveness of the above mentioned.)

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 9/19/00 at 15:04 (028682)

wendy: ativan is used for many things including anxiety. it is sort of the old xnax. comes in small doses. can be habit forming but in the 1mg dose not very likely.

john h on 9/19/00 at 15:08 (028683)

antihistimine as spelled in beefeaters. to keep your ears cleared swallow a lot on the way up and down (not booze) just keep your ears clear. sometimes you can hold your nostrils closed and blow air into your sinus which can help (and sometimes make worse).

Re: Thanks Kim and John

Beverly on 9/19/00 at 17:32 (028698)

Kim and John,
Thank you for your flying without fear or stopped up ears tips.
Kim, I especially like that notion of reminding myself that the pilot and crew all have families and do not want to depart from this world leaving their turning their families into widows/widowers and orphans. That's one of the best lines I've heard yet!
Beverly

wendyn on 9/19/00 at 19:22 (028708)

Beverly - in addition - they also recommend that you meet the pilot in person. To see that he/she is a real person and to help you feel as though someone real and trustworthy is really in control.

It helps to remind yourself that you don't need to run through every possible catastrophe in your head (I'm very good at running through anything that could go wrong). They (the staff) have already been through training for each and every potential situation, and many that you haven't even thought of. It's their job to handle emergencies - not yours.

This control thing is tough.

BUT - I must say...the one tip that helped the most is the drink trick.

No matter what you're drinking (vodka or otherwise) if you hit some turbulance/bumps/dips/turns - watch your drink on your tray. When people are afraid - they are hyper-sensitive to everything that they feel. Little tiny noises are perceived as unbearably loud, slight bumps feel like you're crashing to the earth. When I would feel what I thought was absolutely terrible turbulance - I watched my drink - and it was moving gently back and forth in my cup. Just imagine the same drink on a bumpy car ride - it would be all over the place. This will give you a realistic impression of how much the plane is really moving (not much). Same for turns, it's not even enough to tip the cup, but to me it feels as though we're turned completly on the side. I watched my cup all the way to Chicago and back.

Yes - you could run into significant turbulance - but the vast majority of it is the garden variety that can be easily ignored when you do this.

john h on 9/20/00 at 13:58 (028753)

yes beverly, when i was the pilot i always liked the young ladies to come up and visit me personally. it sure made me fly better! they were not, however allowed to sit on my lap while i was flying.

suzi on 9/23/00 at 17:34 (028968)

i've had heel pain for many years and have also been terrified of flying for many years..............wonder if there's a correlation between pf and fear of flying!!!!!!

Kim B. on 8/04/00 at 12:14 (024636)

Sounds good to me Beverly. Maybe you can run by here or we can meet up halfway (Bennigans or Chilies, eat food and sit on our butts.) If we're both having a good day, we'll go shoe (or sock) shopping. There is GREAT place to get a massage or reflexolgy just around the corner from my house, btw. Email me direct: (email removed)

Regards, Kim B.

Nancy S. on 9/18/00 at 15:48 (028541)

Sick is relative, John. Doesn't sound sick to me at all now! I hope you have a grand time and find yourself that much more improved afterward. Dr. Z., please remember John's martini this time.
Nancy

Beverly on 9/18/00 at 17:00 (028549)

John,

How are you feeling? Did it help? Does this mean you are going for a follow-up treatment. Hey, if I exhaust all my options and still have this, I will probably be flying to New Jersey too, and I HATE to fly!
Being a pilot you will find this silly, but I am TERRIFIED of airplanes. I was in a crash/emergency landing as a teenager, and I have not liked planes since.
Beverly

Kim B on 9/18/00 at 17:09 (028551)

eom

wendyn on 9/18/00 at 17:14 (028553)

I have to fly again next month. I really hate it too.-

I recommend lots of hypnosis, aromatherapy, relaxation, classical CD's - oh and a couple anti-nausea pills and a few shots of vodka. Probably not good for your liver, and I don't recommend it as a way to get through a regular day (they'll ship you off to Betty Ford clinic)- but it's better than completely losing control and freaking out on an airplane in front of horrified on lookers.

Beverly - if I can do it...you can do it. Trust me - I used to throw up for several days before flying. When I flew in April I didn't throw up at all! Baby steps. Baby steps.

wendyn on 9/18/00 at 17:18 (028554)

Seriously though Beverly - email me at home. I'd love to talk to you about this...and I can certainly understand where you're coming from.

john h on 9/18/00 at 17:33 (028559)

bev: do not be afraid of flying. be afraid of the pilots.

john h on 9/18/00 at 17:35 (028560)

you girls need to get your priorities straight! you are afraid of flying but can have babies!!!!! i will fly into the jaws of death before if would go through child birth.

john h on 9/18/00 at 17:37 (028562)

bev: be careful about discussing your fears with wendyn. it is sort of like discussing your alcholic problem with another alcholic.

JudyS on 9/18/00 at 18:07 (028569)

W - is it OK to have the few shots of Vodka even without getting ready to get on a plane? :)

john m on 9/18/00 at 18:18 (028571)

I have terrible clautrophobia and have freaked out on many a flight especialy if I am in the middle or way in the back. My Dr. used to give me Xanax but I learned to like it too much and began mixing it with booze. I had to go to the hospital for another reason and had no access to Xanax and unbeknownst to me or the hospital I went in to withdrawl. It took 3 days and I was totally freaked. Hallucinations the whole nine yards.

Now i take Buspar. It is an anti anxiety med. I start taking the day before the trip-do not mix with booze. It really owrks and it doesn't make you stupid although I do get a little sleepy

wendyn on 9/18/00 at 18:32 (028575)

I have heard that Ativan works well...I am considering trying it. My fear would be that it may not be strong enough (maybe valium?). I would be afraid to take too many or have a drink if I didn't feel it was enough. We have an anti-nausea pill here called Gravol. It has a side effect of making most people groggy and a little sedated. You are not supposed to mix it with alchohol...however I have in the past used it on an airplane with a couple drinks and found that I simply don't really give a @@!# where I am after that.

I do intend to discuss this with my doctor before I fly again mid-October. Like I said -I've done it before, but I used to only fly about once every four years. This is the second time this year...and I don't want to do anything dangerous to myself.

It's a really annoying phobia because it's so restrictive....and it's one of the most difficult to treat because there are often so many fears at work. Fear of heights, confinement, loss of control and on and on and on. I am viewing at as just one more thing I have to deal with...and now matter how scared I am - I'm getting on the stupid plane again. Got my will in order last time - so I don't even have to go through that preparation again. I get on the plane with the full expectation that I'm going to die. I'm always pleasently surprised to walk off the plane at the end...

Knowing that people like John are pilots -and Rick R used to drive around with plane parts in his car(I still don't know if he was kidding) just does nothing to ease my fears.

Beverly on 9/18/00 at 18:58 (028579)

Wendy, if I get brave enough to fly home to Dallas area at Thanksgiving, I'll email you for tips. I did fly to Atlanta about six years ago. My past survival tactic has been to take a Valium and say, 'Wake me up when it's over.'
The other thing I hate about flying, and here is where I could use some tips, with allergies, my ears get stopped up and stay that way. The last time I flew it took me weeks for my ears to get back to normal.
And yes, I tried the usual things like chewing gum. Next time, I plan to take an antihistimine about an hour before flying. If anyone has other ideas, I'm all 'ears.'
Beverly

Re: Flying

Kim B. on 9/18/00 at 19:48 (028589)

Bev, O

ne of the valuable things that Wendyn pointed out to me, (she did fear of flying therapy or someting) is to take look at the crew and remember, they all have lives and families to get home to. They are trained to handle the sitution. And rememeber, people do actually survive plane crashs. Things like that are helpful to remember.

Also, hold your nose and mouth at the same time and try to blow out, that can open up the ears a little. It may be bad for your ears, I dunno, so don't rupture anything, OK. (I am not a medical doctor and make no claims to the safety or effectiveness of the above mentioned.)

Regards, Kim B.

john h on 9/19/00 at 15:04 (028682)

wendy: ativan is used for many things including anxiety. it is sort of the old xnax. comes in small doses. can be habit forming but in the 1mg dose not very likely.

john h on 9/19/00 at 15:08 (028683)

antihistimine as spelled in beefeaters. to keep your ears cleared swallow a lot on the way up and down (not booze) just keep your ears clear. sometimes you can hold your nostrils closed and blow air into your sinus which can help (and sometimes make worse).

Re: Thanks Kim and John

Beverly on 9/19/00 at 17:32 (028698)

Kim and John,
Thank you for your flying without fear or stopped up ears tips.
Kim, I especially like that notion of reminding myself that the pilot and crew all have families and do not want to depart from this world leaving their turning their families into widows/widowers and orphans. That's one of the best lines I've heard yet!
Beverly

wendyn on 9/19/00 at 19:22 (028708)

Beverly - in addition - they also recommend that you meet the pilot in person. To see that he/she is a real person and to help you feel as though someone real and trustworthy is really in control.

It helps to remind yourself that you don't need to run through every possible catastrophe in your head (I'm very good at running through anything that could go wrong). They (the staff) have already been through training for each and every potential situation, and many that you haven't even thought of. It's their job to handle emergencies - not yours.

This control thing is tough.

BUT - I must say...the one tip that helped the most is the drink trick.

No matter what you're drinking (vodka or otherwise) if you hit some turbulance/bumps/dips/turns - watch your drink on your tray. When people are afraid - they are hyper-sensitive to everything that they feel. Little tiny noises are perceived as unbearably loud, slight bumps feel like you're crashing to the earth. When I would feel what I thought was absolutely terrible turbulance - I watched my drink - and it was moving gently back and forth in my cup. Just imagine the same drink on a bumpy car ride - it would be all over the place. This will give you a realistic impression of how much the plane is really moving (not much). Same for turns, it's not even enough to tip the cup, but to me it feels as though we're turned completly on the side. I watched my cup all the way to Chicago and back.

Yes - you could run into significant turbulance - but the vast majority of it is the garden variety that can be easily ignored when you do this.

john h on 9/20/00 at 13:58 (028753)

yes beverly, when i was the pilot i always liked the young ladies to come up and visit me personally. it sure made me fly better! they were not, however allowed to sit on my lap while i was flying.

suzi on 9/23/00 at 17:34 (028968)

i've had heel pain for many years and have also been terrified of flying for many years..............wonder if there's a correlation between pf and fear of flying!!!!!!