Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The value of "rotating tires"

Posted by VickiJ on 9/18/00 at 19:51 (028591)

I think someone made this observation a while ago but I thought I would repeat it....We all struggle to find shoes that will help our healing...especially those of us who wear orthotics. Tonight I experienced something that I often forget...switching shoes is sometimes extremely helpful, especially if I'm hurting. I have three pairs that I can wear and sometimes changing in the middle of the day keeps me from hurting at the end of a day when I have to be on my feet.

Re: The value of "rotating tires"

Paula on 9/18/00 at 21:27 (028596)

thank you vicky. i just changed shoes and it does feel better. let's all remember to post the little things like vicky just did, it adds up.

Kim B. on 9/18/00 at 21:29 (028597)

Good point VickiJ. I actually have a part of a post stuck in my head that said someone's doc adviced them to find 3 pairs of comfortable shoes and 'rotate them'. That has helped me along the way, like you mentioned, sometimes you think you can't go another step, but switching shoes can buy you a little more mileage.

Don't forget to wear shower shoes too. Every little bit helps. If needed, do a search on what folks have shared regarding 'shower shoes'

Regards, Kim B.

Beverly on 9/18/00 at 21:41 (028598)

So true. I mainly rotate a pair of athletic shoes with Spenco inserts with my Birk Arizonas. But I also occassionally wear Birk thongs, Dansko Meta sandals, and a pair of Mephesto's. At different times in my PF, each of these shoes was the more comfortable shoe. However, the Birk Arizona has been the most consistant shoe for me.
Beverly

Paula on 9/18/00 at 21:57 (028605)

yes, yes, adding details like this really helps a beginner like me. i'm off to get mephistos to switch with my birks and new balance. which type of mephisto works for you?

Re: Foot doc recommended rotating too

Lynn S. on 9/19/00 at 00:31 (028617)

My Doc recommended the same thing last week. He said wearing different shoes puts different stress points on the foot, and I think he said this it will help strengthen different muscles in the foot and leg.

SandyS on 9/19/00 at 08:08 (028636)

Thanks for this excellent reminder. I have 3 different pair of Birk sandals that I wear all the time but today, after reading your post last night, I decided to dress down and dust off my New Balance with Spenco inserts. It feels great! I am hardly in pain at all. Simple reminders....that's what we need sometimes.

john h on 9/19/00 at 08:56 (028646)

vicki: i have been thinking about this for some months. i found that when i consistently wore birks i did better. when i switch shoes i think we move the pressure points on the bottom of the foot. i do not know if this is good or bad. perhaps if i wore something other than birks for an extended period of time i would adjust to them.

Beverly on 9/19/00 at 16:29 (028689)

Someone asked which Mephesto I wear. I wear the Volga sandal. It has soft Velcro straps. Look for the 'Mobil' line. They have a number of different styles. You may or may not like the Mephesto. It is softer than the Birk. I know several people here have said they like the 'Helen' Mephesto thong. It was great but I couldn't buy it because it ran just a little too narrow for me.

For dresses and skirts, my Dansko's have saved me from looking totally absurb in Birks with a dress. They are about the same price as Birks.
The Mephesto's are very expensive; so I'd say to anyone getting them, be sure you like them before it is too late to return them.

This winter I will be hunting for warm clogs. Trying the Boston Birks is on my list, but I am also interested in some of the other winter clogs like Steggman and Halflinger. A website with lots and lots of different Euro walking shoes is comfortable.shoes.com. They have more brands than I have seen anywhere. Speaking of, has anyone had success with Clarks? A plus, since they can be found at better department store... more available.
See ya,
Beverly

JudyS on 9/19/00 at 16:41 (028692)

Beverly,
I like my Mephisto Helenas better than my Birks. I think because the heel doesn't seem to be quite as 'negative'.

I'm going to go ahead a post a pic of some clogs I bought at BobG's shoe hangout in San Luis Obispo. (I have a new digital camera and it's a kick to monkey with!) They're Josef Seibel (The European Comfort Shoe) - They feel like a kid glove on and the sole is slightly cushioned with a good arch - not too defined.

I have just one question - what's a 'dress'?

Re: Josef Seibel clogs photo

JudyS on 9/19/00 at 17:08 (028695)

here's the link....http://heelspurs.com/zz/jsclogs.jpg

Re: Josef Seibel clogs photo/Good looking shoe!

Beverly on 9/19/00 at 19:23 (028709)

Judy,

Thanks for the photo. That's a good looking shoe. I've spent my shoe quota at the moment (just ordered a pair of black Dansko Meta sandals for the fall) but next time I can buy shoes, I'll be on the lookout for the Seibels. I tried one pair of sandals this summer. They were heaven on earth in terms of their uppers but the shank was too bendable in the arch. The uppers were so soft, I'd certainly be game to try on some other Seibel styles.
Beverly

Re: Boston Birks

Barbara TX on 9/20/00 at 08:24 (028721)

Hey Bev - hope this is a good day today. I wanted to warn you about the Boston Birks... I have a grey felt pair, and the felt is awful. I haven't had them long and the felt is 'pilling' all over and the sides are already pulling away from the sole. This winter I'm going to invest in a leather pair of Bostons to avoid these problems - I love the Boston footbed and clogs in general. Good luck with the fall shoe shopping! B.

john a on 9/20/00 at 08:40 (028726)

Scott, why doesn't your code pick up a link like ....http://foo.bar ? Is it supposed to? If so, you could try using a \b at the start and end of your perl match pattern. \b means 'word boundary'.

VickiJ on 9/20/00 at 16:19 (028764)

your thoughts set me thinking again and I guess my experience has been that my pf goes in stages. There are stages when my feet do better staying in the same shoe all day everyday, and stages when I have to change when they begin to hurt. My pf is the frustrating chronic kind.

I visit the board only periodically these days (and I guess there are those that wish I hadn't this week...anyway) I am eager to here how you are doing after your treatment from Dr Z. I'm beginning to think I should consider the treatment...are your postings here or on another message board?

thanks
v

Lisa on 9/25/00 at 21:01 (029150)

I just bought a pair of Dansko clogs 'Ingrid' model. I love em!! I now trade off between them, and my 3 pairs of Birks (including one pair of Suede Bostons that are cozy!) Thanks to this site I learned about the Danskos. Black leather & look a little more dressy than Birks. Rotating between a couple of pairs per day makes a big difference. After wearing Birks for a while, the Danskos are like walking on marshmallows!

ck on 9/27/00 at 01:07 (029239)

since I have had heel pain, mephisto sandals are the only real comfortable shoes I can wear. I also bought some leather shoes (mephistos) but I have a really narrow foot so I have to build them up with insoles. they are very comfortable, however. Most large cities have a Mephisto store - they are much cheaper, however, if you buy them in europe.

Paula on 9/18/00 at 21:27 (028596)

thank you vicky. i just changed shoes and it does feel better. let's all remember to post the little things like vicky just did, it adds up.

Kim B. on 9/18/00 at 21:29 (028597)

Good point VickiJ. I actually have a part of a post stuck in my head that said someone's doc adviced them to find 3 pairs of comfortable shoes and 'rotate them'. That has helped me along the way, like you mentioned, sometimes you think you can't go another step, but switching shoes can buy you a little more mileage.

Don't forget to wear shower shoes too. Every little bit helps. If needed, do a search on what folks have shared regarding 'shower shoes'

Regards, Kim B.

Beverly on 9/18/00 at 21:41 (028598)

So true. I mainly rotate a pair of athletic shoes with Spenco inserts with my Birk Arizonas. But I also occassionally wear Birk thongs, Dansko Meta sandals, and a pair of Mephesto's. At different times in my PF, each of these shoes was the more comfortable shoe. However, the Birk Arizona has been the most consistant shoe for me.
Beverly

Paula on 9/18/00 at 21:57 (028605)

yes, yes, adding details like this really helps a beginner like me. i'm off to get mephistos to switch with my birks and new balance. which type of mephisto works for you?

Re: Foot doc recommended rotating too

Lynn S. on 9/19/00 at 00:31 (028617)

My Doc recommended the same thing last week. He said wearing different shoes puts different stress points on the foot, and I think he said this it will help strengthen different muscles in the foot and leg.

SandyS on 9/19/00 at 08:08 (028636)

Thanks for this excellent reminder. I have 3 different pair of Birk sandals that I wear all the time but today, after reading your post last night, I decided to dress down and dust off my New Balance with Spenco inserts. It feels great! I am hardly in pain at all. Simple reminders....that's what we need sometimes.

john h on 9/19/00 at 08:56 (028646)

vicki: i have been thinking about this for some months. i found that when i consistently wore birks i did better. when i switch shoes i think we move the pressure points on the bottom of the foot. i do not know if this is good or bad. perhaps if i wore something other than birks for an extended period of time i would adjust to them.

Beverly on 9/19/00 at 16:29 (028689)

Someone asked which Mephesto I wear. I wear the Volga sandal. It has soft Velcro straps. Look for the 'Mobil' line. They have a number of different styles. You may or may not like the Mephesto. It is softer than the Birk. I know several people here have said they like the 'Helen' Mephesto thong. It was great but I couldn't buy it because it ran just a little too narrow for me.

For dresses and skirts, my Dansko's have saved me from looking totally absurb in Birks with a dress. They are about the same price as Birks.
The Mephesto's are very expensive; so I'd say to anyone getting them, be sure you like them before it is too late to return them.

This winter I will be hunting for warm clogs. Trying the Boston Birks is on my list, but I am also interested in some of the other winter clogs like Steggman and Halflinger. A website with lots and lots of different Euro walking shoes is comfortable.shoes.com. They have more brands than I have seen anywhere. Speaking of, has anyone had success with Clarks? A plus, since they can be found at better department store... more available.
See ya,
Beverly

JudyS on 9/19/00 at 16:41 (028692)

Beverly,
I like my Mephisto Helenas better than my Birks. I think because the heel doesn't seem to be quite as 'negative'.

I'm going to go ahead a post a pic of some clogs I bought at BobG's shoe hangout in San Luis Obispo. (I have a new digital camera and it's a kick to monkey with!) They're Josef Seibel (The European Comfort Shoe) - They feel like a kid glove on and the sole is slightly cushioned with a good arch - not too defined.

I have just one question - what's a 'dress'?

JudyS on 9/19/00 at 17:08 (028695)

here's the link....http://heelspurs.com/zz/jsclogs.jpg

Beverly on 9/19/00 at 19:23 (028709)

Judy,

Thanks for the photo. That's a good looking shoe. I've spent my shoe quota at the moment (just ordered a pair of black Dansko Meta sandals for the fall) but next time I can buy shoes, I'll be on the lookout for the Seibels. I tried one pair of sandals this summer. They were heaven on earth in terms of their uppers but the shank was too bendable in the arch. The uppers were so soft, I'd certainly be game to try on some other Seibel styles.
Beverly

Re: Boston Birks

Barbara TX on 9/20/00 at 08:24 (028721)

Hey Bev - hope this is a good day today. I wanted to warn you about the Boston Birks... I have a grey felt pair, and the felt is awful. I haven't had them long and the felt is 'pilling' all over and the sides are already pulling away from the sole. This winter I'm going to invest in a leather pair of Bostons to avoid these problems - I love the Boston footbed and clogs in general. Good luck with the fall shoe shopping! B.

john a on 9/20/00 at 08:40 (028726)

Scott, why doesn't your code pick up a link like ....http://foo.bar ? Is it supposed to? If so, you could try using a \b at the start and end of your perl match pattern. \b means 'word boundary'.

VickiJ on 9/20/00 at 16:19 (028764)

your thoughts set me thinking again and I guess my experience has been that my pf goes in stages. There are stages when my feet do better staying in the same shoe all day everyday, and stages when I have to change when they begin to hurt. My pf is the frustrating chronic kind.

I visit the board only periodically these days (and I guess there are those that wish I hadn't this week...anyway) I am eager to here how you are doing after your treatment from Dr Z. I'm beginning to think I should consider the treatment...are your postings here or on another message board?

thanks
v

Lisa on 9/25/00 at 21:01 (029150)

I just bought a pair of Dansko clogs 'Ingrid' model. I love em!! I now trade off between them, and my 3 pairs of Birks (including one pair of Suede Bostons that are cozy!) Thanks to this site I learned about the Danskos. Black leather & look a little more dressy than Birks. Rotating between a couple of pairs per day makes a big difference. After wearing Birks for a while, the Danskos are like walking on marshmallows!

ck on 9/27/00 at 01:07 (029239)

since I have had heel pain, mephisto sandals are the only real comfortable shoes I can wear. I also bought some leather shoes (mephistos) but I have a really narrow foot so I have to build them up with insoles. they are very comfortable, however. Most large cities have a Mephisto store - they are much cheaper, however, if you buy them in europe.