Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery update needed

Posted by Pauline on 9/19/00 at 05:10 (028626)

It seem that people who choose the Surgery option post regularly on the 'Ask the Dr' site as well as this one about the pain that they continue to experience several months after surgery. As I understand from reading the Dr. comments it seems like 6 months may be needed to
take care of this. Could any of you who have had surgery recently (last 8-10 months) please bring us up to date.
1. Are you pain free
2. Do you require any type of shoe support
3. Are you taking pain medication
4. Have you regained full use of your foot
5. Have you been able to return to your normal pattern before your
experience with PF.
6 Anything else your feel important
Thanks

Re: Surgery update needed

john h on 9/19/00 at 08:53 (028645)

pauline: i had open pf surgery on aug 23, 99. i never did have any pain to speak of as a result of the surgery even though i had a tarsal tunnel release at the same time. i was walking in my shoes in two weeks. the surgery did not, however cure my pf. i think the reason being was the surgeon released only about 15% of the fascia. my foot is no worse and perhaps just a little better than before surgery. i wore a half cast (open in the front) for 10 days then had the stitches removed and 5 days later was walking without any limping,etc. i was on crutches for 10 days which was the worst part of the whole deal. if i had not had a tts release i am not sure i would have even been on crutches.

sandy h on 9/19/00 at 10:17 (028654)

after pf and tt release surgery in january, i was told tht i may experience residual pain for up to a year. at just short of 6 months i had significantly reduced pain that it was actually liveable, i expected a setback as i had the other foot done 4 weeks ago but it held up thru crutches. at 10 months out i think the pain im still feeling is arthritic, and ibuprofin gel seems to be doing the trick. i am wearing orthotics(wish i was one of those people who could wear birks)i debated long and hard about surgery,and i felt it was a real gamble,i didnt have a computer until just recently so i was not influenced by this site. i truly felt it was a last resort. my only advice to anyone thinking about surgery is exhaust all conservative treatment and choose your surgeon carefully

SuzanneK on 9/19/00 at 18:08 (028700)

I read daily but don't post often. I had an open 2/3 release and spur removal June 1. I was only 'out of action' completely about 10 days. After 10 days, I got rid of the crutches (except for when I was tired or knew I would be doing more than just a little walking) and was able to resume wearing my Birks. My doctor dismissed me at my last appointment Aug. 30. I still have some swelling and scar tissue in the foot, but overall I am very pleased with the results. I am a 3rd grade teacher who resorted to using a wheelchair in the halls at school to make it through the last 6 weeks of school. I had pain 24-7. I wouldn't say I am back to pre-pf days yet, but I am probably 75-80% there. I would have the surgery again, given the same circumstances. My foot aches when it gets tired, but it is not the stabbing, mind-numbing, 'give me a box of wine to drown my sorrows' kind of pain I as experiencing.

Re: 7 weeks post-op epf both feet

T. Hurst on 9/19/00 at 20:03 (028711)

Not entirely pain-free, but awfully close. My arch tires after a day full of walking, but nothing to keep me from doing it. I consider my walking unlimited (could walk several miles). I'm biking (stationary) 30 minutes/day, plus 5 minutes of elliptical precor machine to train/strengthen my arch/foot again (will gradually increase time until I can move on to more strenuous machines), and using Personal Foot Trainer (Mike Wilmont was nice enough to advise me in how to use this for post-op care), and taking ibuprofen and Vitamin C to speed healing. I wear the custom orthodics that were made for me before surgery. My left orthodic had to be altered to add support to the lateral side of my foot, as this part experienced increased stress because the fascia was not cut there. It felt like pf pain, only on the lateral/outside of heel inside of the medial/inside. The 'cuboid pad' addition to my insert completely solved the problem and there is no more pulling. My right foot did not have this problem. Shoes have become an integral part of my post-op care. I've found that I cannot tolerate any shoes without a steel-shank and laces (haven't worn a skirt in ages!)...Rockport and New Balance with the rollbar feature work for me. A good test is to bend the shoe - it should only bend at the toe, not the arch area. I feel like my healing is on schedule, if not a little ahead of schedule. I hope to begin jogging by the 6-month mark, but I won't fret if it takes me a year. Oh - as far as when could I walk comfortably without worrying about duration and pain - I'd say around 4-5 weeks. Any questions...please email me.

john h on 9/19/00 at 08:53 (028645)

pauline: i had open pf surgery on aug 23, 99. i never did have any pain to speak of as a result of the surgery even though i had a tarsal tunnel release at the same time. i was walking in my shoes in two weeks. the surgery did not, however cure my pf. i think the reason being was the surgeon released only about 15% of the fascia. my foot is no worse and perhaps just a little better than before surgery. i wore a half cast (open in the front) for 10 days then had the stitches removed and 5 days later was walking without any limping,etc. i was on crutches for 10 days which was the worst part of the whole deal. if i had not had a tts release i am not sure i would have even been on crutches.

sandy h on 9/19/00 at 10:17 (028654)

after pf and tt release surgery in january, i was told tht i may experience residual pain for up to a year. at just short of 6 months i had significantly reduced pain that it was actually liveable, i expected a setback as i had the other foot done 4 weeks ago but it held up thru crutches. at 10 months out i think the pain im still feeling is arthritic, and ibuprofin gel seems to be doing the trick. i am wearing orthotics(wish i was one of those people who could wear birks)i debated long and hard about surgery,and i felt it was a real gamble,i didnt have a computer until just recently so i was not influenced by this site. i truly felt it was a last resort. my only advice to anyone thinking about surgery is exhaust all conservative treatment and choose your surgeon carefully

SuzanneK on 9/19/00 at 18:08 (028700)

I read daily but don't post often. I had an open 2/3 release and spur removal June 1. I was only 'out of action' completely about 10 days. After 10 days, I got rid of the crutches (except for when I was tired or knew I would be doing more than just a little walking) and was able to resume wearing my Birks. My doctor dismissed me at my last appointment Aug. 30. I still have some swelling and scar tissue in the foot, but overall I am very pleased with the results. I am a 3rd grade teacher who resorted to using a wheelchair in the halls at school to make it through the last 6 weeks of school. I had pain 24-7. I wouldn't say I am back to pre-pf days yet, but I am probably 75-80% there. I would have the surgery again, given the same circumstances. My foot aches when it gets tired, but it is not the stabbing, mind-numbing, 'give me a box of wine to drown my sorrows' kind of pain I as experiencing.

Re: 7 weeks post-op epf both feet

T. Hurst on 9/19/00 at 20:03 (028711)

Not entirely pain-free, but awfully close. My arch tires after a day full of walking, but nothing to keep me from doing it. I consider my walking unlimited (could walk several miles). I'm biking (stationary) 30 minutes/day, plus 5 minutes of elliptical precor machine to train/strengthen my arch/foot again (will gradually increase time until I can move on to more strenuous machines), and using Personal Foot Trainer (Mike Wilmont was nice enough to advise me in how to use this for post-op care), and taking ibuprofen and Vitamin C to speed healing. I wear the custom orthodics that were made for me before surgery. My left orthodic had to be altered to add support to the lateral side of my foot, as this part experienced increased stress because the fascia was not cut there. It felt like pf pain, only on the lateral/outside of heel inside of the medial/inside. The 'cuboid pad' addition to my insert completely solved the problem and there is no more pulling. My right foot did not have this problem. Shoes have become an integral part of my post-op care. I've found that I cannot tolerate any shoes without a steel-shank and laces (haven't worn a skirt in ages!)...Rockport and New Balance with the rollbar feature work for me. A good test is to bend the shoe - it should only bend at the toe, not the arch area. I feel like my healing is on schedule, if not a little ahead of schedule. I hope to begin jogging by the 6-month mark, but I won't fret if it takes me a year. Oh - as far as when could I walk comfortably without worrying about duration and pain - I'd say around 4-5 weeks. Any questions...please email me.