Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Beginning treatment - right direction? Feedback please?

Posted by amr on 9/19/00 at 07:29 (028628)

Hi,

Great site. I had my first appointment with a podiatrist yesterday, and I'm trying to figure out if she's on the right track. I have small heel spurs but the doc said that they are not the cause of P.F., she taped my feet - wants me to keep them taped for five days, ordered physical therapy and orthotics. She seemed pretty quick to suggest cortisone shots. I said I'd do everything short of that. She talked about exercises, but didn't give me any to do - don't know if she forgot or that comes after my next visit.

Am I on the right track with this doctor or should I try someone else?

My accupuncturist has been treating my feet too - too soon to tell if it is helping. He recommends not using ice but using heat - either soaking my feet in warm water or heating pad, foot doctor says ice, I'm not sure what to do.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Re: Beginning treatment - right direction? Feedback please?

Dr. Biehler on 9/19/00 at 08:44 (028642)

Your Podiatrist is on the right track. You don't want to do the execises untill the tape comes off. The heating modality brings blood to the area but the icing drives the blood deep to where it is needed. The heat also helps wash away the pain chemicals. It is good to do both. The cortizone shot might speed up the results but you should try to get by without it, if possible.

Steve P on 9/20/00 at 10:11 (028743)

Sounds like a good start. On your next visit you might ask about:

Nightsplint
Anti-inflammatory medication
icing several times per day

Your Pod may think some of this is overkill, but why not hit your PF with everything available & try to knock it out quickly?

amr on 9/21/00 at 07:28 (028799)

Thanks for the suggestion re night splints - I read about that here I guess and wondered why she didn't suggest it.

amr on 9/21/00 at 07:31 (028800)

Thanks for the feedback, can you tell me, in regards to heat and ice, is there a prefered order and length of time? I know my chiropractor had me use both and it helped. Thanks for the explanation on how they work.

ck on 9/27/00 at 01:02 (029238)

Can you explain how your dr. taped your feet. I've heard people have ad much success taping the bottom of the feet. Is this done across the arch or along the facia?

Dr. Biehler on 9/19/00 at 08:44 (028642)

Your Podiatrist is on the right track. You don't want to do the execises untill the tape comes off. The heating modality brings blood to the area but the icing drives the blood deep to where it is needed. The heat also helps wash away the pain chemicals. It is good to do both. The cortizone shot might speed up the results but you should try to get by without it, if possible.

Steve P on 9/20/00 at 10:11 (028743)

Sounds like a good start. On your next visit you might ask about:

Nightsplint
Anti-inflammatory medication
icing several times per day

Your Pod may think some of this is overkill, but why not hit your PF with everything available & try to knock it out quickly?

amr on 9/21/00 at 07:28 (028799)

Thanks for the suggestion re night splints - I read about that here I guess and wondered why she didn't suggest it.

amr on 9/21/00 at 07:31 (028800)

Thanks for the feedback, can you tell me, in regards to heat and ice, is there a prefered order and length of time? I know my chiropractor had me use both and it helped. Thanks for the explanation on how they work.

ck on 9/27/00 at 01:02 (029238)

Can you explain how your dr. taped your feet. I've heard people have ad much success taping the bottom of the feet. Is this done across the arch or along the facia?