Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

preventing PF in children

Posted by Margie K. on 9/19/00 at 08:13 (028637)

I read somewhere on this web site that PF can run in families. Should children with really flat feet start wearing arch supports when they are young so they can hopefully prevent the onset of PF in the first place?

Re: preventing PF in children

wendyn on 9/19/00 at 08:30 (028639)

I'm not a doctor - but I have 'run' into this myself. According to my research and the doctors I've talked to - they say not to treat unless there is pain.

I did try my (then) 6 year old in orthotics and he hated them. They hurt his feet and gave him blisters even after being adjusted. We threw them away.

For myself and my older son, we started having pain and problems around age 11 (growth spurt) it was at that time he started wearing orhotitcs.

He still wears them, I haven't been able to find any that I can wear.

DR. Biehler on 9/19/00 at 08:34 (028641)

You do not use orthotics just because someones feet are flat. That might be the normal bone structure for them. You can ,however, use orthotics in someone that has ligamentus laxity. These people have very lax ligaments witch allows their foot to over flatten. This can cause ankle problems and some doctors tend to think can lead to bunions in the teenage years. A sneaker with good support would probably do almost as well.

Margie K. on 9/19/00 at 14:37 (028680)

Would you suggest that a child with flat feet be seen by a podiatrist for a checkup?

Dr. Biehler on 9/19/00 at 14:45 (028681)

If they are not in pain and if it is not affecting their gait, then they have no reason to see the doctor. Ofcourse as a docotr we like to see everyone.

Pauline on 9/20/00 at 09:00 (028731)

We haven't really heard about a lot of children especially young ones
being aflicted with PF. I think this is because their muscles have not had the chance to shorten and tighten up as we see in adults.
My personal opinion is that unless a child is having a definate foot
problem why put them in orthotics. I think this can restrict the spring that that their natural arch provides. If you read my postings you'll probably tell that to this day I am not competely sold on orthotics as a cure for foot problems. Under certain conditions I think they may provide support to the foot, but I do not
believe that we were ever meant to walk on hard plastic inserts.
My experience has been that Pod tend to over perscribe orthotics and that Otorhinolaryngoloist (ear, nose,& throat) want to fix every deviated septum they see.

Dr. Biehler on 9/20/00 at 14:00 (028754)

Hard orthotics are used to help correct a biomechanical foot problem. They are not for the normal working foot. I have met some of the older patient that had metal orthotics made years ago. To this day they still thing they are the best thing ever invented.

wendyn on 9/19/00 at 08:30 (028639)

I'm not a doctor - but I have 'run' into this myself. According to my research and the doctors I've talked to - they say not to treat unless there is pain.

I did try my (then) 6 year old in orthotics and he hated them. They hurt his feet and gave him blisters even after being adjusted. We threw them away.

For myself and my older son, we started having pain and problems around age 11 (growth spurt) it was at that time he started wearing orhotitcs.

He still wears them, I haven't been able to find any that I can wear.

DR. Biehler on 9/19/00 at 08:34 (028641)

You do not use orthotics just because someones feet are flat. That might be the normal bone structure for them. You can ,however, use orthotics in someone that has ligamentus laxity. These people have very lax ligaments witch allows their foot to over flatten. This can cause ankle problems and some doctors tend to think can lead to bunions in the teenage years. A sneaker with good support would probably do almost as well.

Margie K. on 9/19/00 at 14:37 (028680)

Would you suggest that a child with flat feet be seen by a podiatrist for a checkup?

Dr. Biehler on 9/19/00 at 14:45 (028681)

If they are not in pain and if it is not affecting their gait, then they have no reason to see the doctor. Ofcourse as a docotr we like to see everyone.

Pauline on 9/20/00 at 09:00 (028731)

We haven't really heard about a lot of children especially young ones
being aflicted with PF. I think this is because their muscles have not had the chance to shorten and tighten up as we see in adults.
My personal opinion is that unless a child is having a definate foot
problem why put them in orthotics. I think this can restrict the spring that that their natural arch provides. If you read my postings you'll probably tell that to this day I am not competely sold on orthotics as a cure for foot problems. Under certain conditions I think they may provide support to the foot, but I do not
believe that we were ever meant to walk on hard plastic inserts.
My experience has been that Pod tend to over perscribe orthotics and that Otorhinolaryngoloist (ear, nose,& throat) want to fix every deviated septum they see.

Dr. Biehler on 9/20/00 at 14:00 (028754)

Hard orthotics are used to help correct a biomechanical foot problem. They are not for the normal working foot. I have met some of the older patient that had metal orthotics made years ago. To this day they still thing they are the best thing ever invented.