Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Where is your inflammation?

Posted by Sue R on 9/19/00 at 09:09 (028648)

I have inflammation in my arch right above my heal. It is almost 'meaty' feeling at times and I'm wondering if this is normal. That's were my pain is and fluctuates from day to day.

Where is your inflammation, if any? And how do you treat it?

Thanks,
Sue R

Re: Where is your inflammation?

Barbara TX on 9/19/00 at 09:41 (028650)

Hello Sue! Sorry you are still have that ratty arch pain. I had pain right in the middle of my arch that was eased by wearing a shoe with a lower arch. Dr. B mentioned a particular angle of heel bone that cannot tolerate much arch support - he said that it would be identifiable on x-ray. You might ask him about some of the causes of arch pain, and particularly the 'meaty' feeling. Is it something you feel under the skin? When my arch really feels inflamed, I take a cube of ice held with a dishtowel and massage 'the spot' directly for five minutes - no greater than ten (until the cube is tiny). I seem to notice a little relief then.

I just got my ESWT packet in the mail yesterday and watched it. The procedure doesn't look painful. I hate to make a big trip but I want thins thing gone fast! Hope you are enjoying teh cool front (such as it is) B.

Beverly on 9/19/00 at 16:32 (028690)

My worst pain is also in my arches. I can't see the inflammation but my PT says they are squishy... less squishy since I've had two months of PT with massage. Best luck.
Beverly

Hi Sue, on 9/19/00 at 22:37 (028715)

Hi Sue and all,

My pain/inflammation is in my mid arch, sometimes to the backward meaty part, and sometime it is forward toward the big toe. Sometimes it hurts behind my heels and below my ankles. For me, the pain migrates aroudn.

I seem to have classic PF, but sometimes, I believe my FM contributes and starts a pain reaction of sorts. My feet have hurt on the tops, behind the toes, I think my shoes and arch support situation can help or hender depending on what the tender or trigger point situation is that day.

I have found that that meaty part has a nerve in it (I think please don't quote me on this), called the Baxter nerve? gets very aggrevated, often by too high or rigid arch support, I get a lot of specific pain to that area sometimes too.

I had been having a better go of it, but the last couple days I have faired up pretty bad. I'm trying everything in my arcinal (sp.) All the weapons I have. I will have to pray and wait for the fair up to subside I suppose. Thank God for ICE!

Regards, Kim B.

wendyn on 9/20/00 at 08:28 (028723)

Kim - sorry to hear your feet are not so good right now. I know what you mean about sometimes things helping and sometimes the same things hurting.

I hope your flare up doesn't last long.

I had a nasty set back around 3 weeks ago...hard to believe if you saw me now. I continue to rather mysteriously improve. I simply don't get it. So much pain for so long and now I sometimes find myself impatiently waiting for people to walk faster and catch up with me. Not always - but sometimes. I keep taking my B12, wearing my Birks, no bare feet, doing the yoga, sometimes acupuncture and lots of stretches for my back and slowly starting them for my legs. I bike about 20 min 3x a week. I'd like to go a lot faster and a lot longer - but I'm really afraid of another set back so I'm taking it slow.

Hoping today is better for you..

p.s. I have my long awaited MRI next month (almost 2 full years after the initial injury). At the rate I'm going I might not have any pain by the time I get there...going to feel rather stupid having my foot looked at. Will go anyway because I'm certainly not back to normal activity yet.

Dr. Biehler on 9/20/00 at 09:04 (028733)

The Baxter nerve is just another name for the lateral branch of the calcanial nerve. This is the nerve that causes so much of the pain in heel spur/plantar fasciitis.

john h on 9/20/00 at 19:57 (028778)

Kim: i will tell you where my inflammation is right now! she is our shopping with her American Expess Card.

Barbara TX on 9/19/00 at 09:41 (028650)

Hello Sue! Sorry you are still have that ratty arch pain. I had pain right in the middle of my arch that was eased by wearing a shoe with a lower arch. Dr. B mentioned a particular angle of heel bone that cannot tolerate much arch support - he said that it would be identifiable on x-ray. You might ask him about some of the causes of arch pain, and particularly the 'meaty' feeling. Is it something you feel under the skin? When my arch really feels inflamed, I take a cube of ice held with a dishtowel and massage 'the spot' directly for five minutes - no greater than ten (until the cube is tiny). I seem to notice a little relief then.

I just got my ESWT packet in the mail yesterday and watched it. The procedure doesn't look painful. I hate to make a big trip but I want thins thing gone fast! Hope you are enjoying teh cool front (such as it is) B.

Beverly on 9/19/00 at 16:32 (028690)

My worst pain is also in my arches. I can't see the inflammation but my PT says they are squishy... less squishy since I've had two months of PT with massage. Best luck.
Beverly

Hi Sue, on 9/19/00 at 22:37 (028715)

Hi Sue and all,

My pain/inflammation is in my mid arch, sometimes to the backward meaty part, and sometime it is forward toward the big toe. Sometimes it hurts behind my heels and below my ankles. For me, the pain migrates aroudn.

I seem to have classic PF, but sometimes, I believe my FM contributes and starts a pain reaction of sorts. My feet have hurt on the tops, behind the toes, I think my shoes and arch support situation can help or hender depending on what the tender or trigger point situation is that day.

I have found that that meaty part has a nerve in it (I think please don't quote me on this), called the Baxter nerve? gets very aggrevated, often by too high or rigid arch support, I get a lot of specific pain to that area sometimes too.

I had been having a better go of it, but the last couple days I have faired up pretty bad. I'm trying everything in my arcinal (sp.) All the weapons I have. I will have to pray and wait for the fair up to subside I suppose. Thank God for ICE!

Regards, Kim B.

wendyn on 9/20/00 at 08:28 (028723)

Kim - sorry to hear your feet are not so good right now. I know what you mean about sometimes things helping and sometimes the same things hurting.

I hope your flare up doesn't last long.

I had a nasty set back around 3 weeks ago...hard to believe if you saw me now. I continue to rather mysteriously improve. I simply don't get it. So much pain for so long and now I sometimes find myself impatiently waiting for people to walk faster and catch up with me. Not always - but sometimes. I keep taking my B12, wearing my Birks, no bare feet, doing the yoga, sometimes acupuncture and lots of stretches for my back and slowly starting them for my legs. I bike about 20 min 3x a week. I'd like to go a lot faster and a lot longer - but I'm really afraid of another set back so I'm taking it slow.

Hoping today is better for you..

p.s. I have my long awaited MRI next month (almost 2 full years after the initial injury). At the rate I'm going I might not have any pain by the time I get there...going to feel rather stupid having my foot looked at. Will go anyway because I'm certainly not back to normal activity yet.

Dr. Biehler on 9/20/00 at 09:04 (028733)

The Baxter nerve is just another name for the lateral branch of the calcanial nerve. This is the nerve that causes so much of the pain in heel spur/plantar fasciitis.

john h on 9/20/00 at 19:57 (028778)

Kim: i will tell you where my inflammation is right now! she is our shopping with her American Expess Card.