Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot Reflexology the same as Muscle Release Therapy?

Posted by Denise E on 9/20/00 at 06:27 (028718)

Hi all! To continue on this subject, I have an appointment this Saturday with a certified neuromusculoskeletal therapist who specializes in foot reflexology. He is going to work on my foot for an hour. he says it is really amazing work.

I saw Pauline's posting on Muscle Release Therapy. Does anyone know if foot reflexology is the same or similar? If not, I'll find out on Saturday and share with everyone.

I'm feeling much better (I'm one of the newbie PFers). Got a kink in my knee over this weekend but Yoga last night worked it out. Still waiting for my orthotics...

Alan K - I don't mind a little passion. I'm like Barbara from Tx - I just enjoy hearing and learning from everyone. I still do 'downward dog' pose but just I don't try to put my heels to the floor. I couln't live without doing 'downward dog' everyday.

Didn't mean to get off the subject...

Re: Foot Reflexology the same as Muscle Release Therapy?

Pauline on 9/20/00 at 07:47 (028719)

The answer is no. Muscle Release Therapy usually involves the entire
lower leg and foot as well as other parts of the body. Preasure is held in the attachment area of certain muscles and then the other hand is used to massage and stretch the muscle. I believe foot reflexology is done only on the bottom surface of the foot. As far as I know it does not involve the leg. The think these are two different forms of massage treatment.
I own personal opinion is that they both can probably help out anyone with PF. Just having someone trying to massage the leg and feet
has to have some benefit. Keep us posted

Re: Foot Reflexology was the most painful thing I've tried

Beverly on 9/20/00 at 09:34 (028736)

Way back at the beginning of my PF I tried reflexology. It as the most painful thing I've tried. I hurt for over a week. I was limping. Nothing could make me try it again. I feel like it made me worse not better.
The reflexologist kept poking on my most sore part of my foot saying that represented my kidney. (Reflexologists think that the entire body can be accessed via the foot.) I told her my kidney was just fine but she was killing my foot.

On the otherhand, I get deep tissue massage from my physical therapist. It does sometimes hurt but I feel like it is helping to break up the inflammation and is part of what is helping me get better. The two techniques feel totally different. There is no comparision.

I have never had the release therapy; so I can't speak about that.
I remain curious about it and wonder how it is different from the more traditional deep tissue massage?
Beverly

Barbara TX on 9/20/00 at 10:07 (028741)

I think that release therapy (or myofascial release) is the same old thing as deep tissue massage. I've had both, and they seem to feel the same. B.

Re: Foot Reflexology the same as Muscle Release Therapy?

Pauline on 9/20/00 at 07:47 (028719)

The answer is no. Muscle Release Therapy usually involves the entire
lower leg and foot as well as other parts of the body. Preasure is held in the attachment area of certain muscles and then the other hand is used to massage and stretch the muscle. I believe foot reflexology is done only on the bottom surface of the foot. As far as I know it does not involve the leg. The think these are two different forms of massage treatment.
I own personal opinion is that they both can probably help out anyone with PF. Just having someone trying to massage the leg and feet
has to have some benefit. Keep us posted

Beverly on 9/20/00 at 09:34 (028736)

Way back at the beginning of my PF I tried reflexology. It as the most painful thing I've tried. I hurt for over a week. I was limping. Nothing could make me try it again. I feel like it made me worse not better.
The reflexologist kept poking on my most sore part of my foot saying that represented my kidney. (Reflexologists think that the entire body can be accessed via the foot.) I told her my kidney was just fine but she was killing my foot.

On the otherhand, I get deep tissue massage from my physical therapist. It does sometimes hurt but I feel like it is helping to break up the inflammation and is part of what is helping me get better. The two techniques feel totally different. There is no comparision.

I have never had the release therapy; so I can't speak about that.
I remain curious about it and wonder how it is different from the more traditional deep tissue massage?
Beverly

Barbara TX on 9/20/00 at 10:07 (028741)

I think that release therapy (or myofascial release) is the same old thing as deep tissue massage. I've had both, and they seem to feel the same. B.