Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Barbara S. re: Shockwave therapy and pregnancy

Posted by Nicole V.R. on 9/20/00 at 15:01 (028757)

When I had my Ossatron treatment in February, I had to sign papers declaring that I wasn't pregnant. Little did I know I was a month along until I got sick after returning home. My medical doctor believes the treatment should in no way effect the baby because the area treated wasn't close to the uterus. My podiatrist agreed, adding that it is not advisable to use lidocaine on pregnant women for the same reasons she wouldn't take any other drug. I believe the medical community doesn't have enough experience with treating pregnant women using ESWT and therefore want to play it safe. So far, I'm having a healthy pregnancy with no known ill effects from the treatment. I'm due Oct. 17 and of course I'll let everyone know if the baby or I have any problems that may be related to the treatment.

Re: To Barbara S. re: Shockwave therapy and pregnancy

Barbara TX on 9/20/00 at 22:20 (028788)

I am glad that your experience is recorded here. Pregnant/nursing women have few options when it comes to controlling PF - and I think that shockwave may be one of the SAFER ones allowed them. If I had known that ESWT was available before I weaned my baby, I would have tried it first before cortisone, 5 NSAIDS (that didn't work) and pain medication (that didn't work). Congratulations! I hope that you are doing well and that you are PF free... B.

Re: To Barbara S. re: Shockwave therapy and pregnancy

Barbara TX on 9/20/00 at 22:20 (028788)

I am glad that your experience is recorded here. Pregnant/nursing women have few options when it comes to controlling PF - and I think that shockwave may be one of the SAFER ones allowed them. If I had known that ESWT was available before I weaned my baby, I would have tried it first before cortisone, 5 NSAIDS (that didn't work) and pain medication (that didn't work). Congratulations! I hope that you are doing well and that you are PF free... B.