Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My Professional Response and the Natural Healing Process

Posted by Mike W on 9/20/00 at 18:23 (028772)

Hello Board Readers,

I would like to clear up the events of the past few days and move on.

This board would be very boring and not as informative if we all were the same and had the same opinions.

My professional response regarding a comparison of my PFT's to, AF's, rubber bands, towels or ropes:
Although there appear to be some similarities between them, people need to know that it is not possible for the user of the AF, etc. to perform the same exercise technique which makes the PFT effective.

The PFT technique involves simultaneously contracting pairs of opposing muscles. It takes advantage of a natural process known as Muscle Facilitation/Inhibition or sometimes called the Reactive Muscle Response.

This means that during a PFT exercise when you for example, contract your big toe flexor muscle, the natural reaction of the (opposing) big toe extensor muscle is to automatically relax, then upon your next breath, you contract the relaxed big toe extensor muscle which automatically relaxes the big toe flexor muscle and so on. This technique is simply not physically possible to duplicate with a rubber band, towel or a rope.

It is my belief that PF is a repetitive strain injury and that the exercise protocol should not include traditional exercises that promote working the same muscle repetitvely until it is fatigued.

The purpose of my unprofessional posts regarding a review of AF was not about who's got the better product, or to attack anyone. I would like to apoligize to Allan for increasing his emotions and thank him for what I learned from him. What I did was stir the pot in an attempt to demonstrate a common theme often displayed by people who are in pain, are stressed and full of negative emotions and to show how unproductive this can be. Now I would like explain my views on how this relates to the mental/emotional part of the healing process that so many are missing.

How to stimulate the Natural Healing Process:
I believe that when a person has a medical problem it is their responsibility to seek their own solution and that they should take advantage of modern medicine, natural holistic approaches and information that is available to them.

The natural healing process involves the body, mind and spirit with the basic idea being to encourage and fascilitate healing from both the outside and the inside with as little intrusiveness as possible.

From the outside, physical exercise is extremely important and the focus of my PFT exercises.

From the inside, this may involve conscientious attention to things like nutrition, being aware of our thoughts and meditation. You are what you eat is a very simplistic notion but it is very true and our thinking and meditation have a definite psychosomatic effect on health, healing and well being.

I do not profess to be a professional in this field but this is my approach to mental healing I have learned through the study of MEDICAL QIGONG:
For example, instead of displaying negative emotions (angry/depressed/frustrated etc.) about my PF (or whatever);
Realize that it is energy draining to ignore or to outwardly act out these emotions.
Remind myself that these negative emotions are coming from a frightened part of myself.
Instead of asking myself why me or poor me or blaming someone else, ask myself things like what would a wise, compassionate person do, what is my body trying to tell me, what can I learn or how can I grow from this experience.
Decide which is the better decision for me and then accept the consequences.
Realise everything happens for a purpose and that by doing so you have the power to change the situation.

In conclusion, pain is always caused by some sort of stress and most of us tend to focus on the physical when many need to address or be aware of the mental/emotional aspects to heal completely.

Regards,

Mike Wilmot

Re: My Professional Response

Bob G. on 9/21/00 at 02:28 (028795)

Sorry that I've been away for about a week, but it has been a productive week!

From the posts that I've read - I've come to the obvious conclusion that I don't want to do business with anyone that is difficult to do business with in regards to returning a product found unsatisfactory. I am sorry to learn of the unsavory business practices and will not recommend Mike W to any of my friends.

Re: My Professional Response and the Natural Healing Process

Nancy S. on 9/21/00 at 10:51 (028808)

'What I did was stir the pot in an attempt to demonstrate a common theme often displayed by people who are in pain, are stressed and full of negative emotions and to show how unproductive this can be.' (Mike W.)

This statement speaks for itself nicely.
The board is chock full of wonderful, intelligent, goodhearted, well-intentioned people trying to get better and to help others -- not for use as guinea pigs. Help someone, please get me out of here! :-)
Nancy

O on 9/21/00 at 11:52 (028810)

Maybe you need a break from the board.

Susan S on 9/21/00 at 12:18 (028815)

Nancy, I wondered if I just misread that statement this morning. Thank you for responding in a kind, gentle tone. Many of us wouldn't have been so generous.
As for his 'common theme' I am having a terrible, stressful day that will probably last until late tonight but my attitude is still good.

And my feet feel great today.

Sorry to disprove your theory, Mike.

Nancy S. on 9/21/00 at 14:16 (028821)

Susan, thank you. I truly was determined not to respond to this stuff anymore, but I was too shocked.
You seem to have a great attitude, no matter what kind of day you're having. If you can ever put exactly how you do that into words, let us know, ok? Good luck on this stressful day and I hope you have a relaxing evening!
Nancy

Laurie R on 9/21/00 at 15:38 (028825)

OK!!!! Who is O ??? If you have something to say why don't you use your real name??Other wise you should not say anything at all.REMENBER be nice.......... Remenber we are all in pain.Laurie R

JudyS on 9/21/00 at 17:16 (028832)

The participants on this board are worth so much more than an anonymous post. Is that going to be the next step for us?

(Mike W.,9/20)'What I did was stir the pot in an attempt to demonstrate a common theme often displayed by people who are in pain, are stressed and full of negative emotions and to show how unproductive this can be.'

No person nor 'professional' here has the right to insult us by 'stirring the pot' or by assuming that he can or should attempt to manipulate our emotions - of which he knows absolutely nothing about. This kind of abstract justification is way too far over the line - enough is enough.

Yes, 'O', you are right, I need a break from these kinds of insults.

Beverly on 9/21/00 at 17:28 (028835)

I don't get it. I thought there was general board sentiment by yesterday morning (and probably earlier than that), that this issue had been hashed and rehashed and it was time to give it a rest. So, I don't understand why Mike felt compelled to 'restir the pot.'

Beverly

Re: Negativity

Lori E. on 9/21/00 at 17:32 (028838)

I am sorry to see that this subject of negativity has not been dropped. As to stirring the pot, Mike you sure do a good job of that.
As to 'what would a wise compassionate person would do...' I think as a compassionate person, you would have tried harder to resolve the return problem, not engaged in the negative posts that have been going back and forth, and also have tried to understand a little bit better that sometimes pain is just pain.
We are all dealing with this the best we can, and before all of this I was seriously considering buying your product. But I am really doubting you and your take on the pf problem/experience. I have done all of the above suggestions, looked at my life, tried to reduce the stress and negativity in my life and looked at what God might be trying to tell me by all of this.
I have reduced my weight, use suppliments,tried orthodics, stretching and exercise. A year later I am still in pain. Sometimes things do happen to point us all in the right direction. Sometimes its just dumb luck and you deal with it the best you can, pick yourself up and move on. The question is now, what direction are you going to take? Please let's discontinue the strife that has come to live on this board.

Pauline on 9/22/00 at 10:27 (028871)

For what it is worth. Life is about choices. I hope we can all grow and learn something from the Mike, Alan posting incident for if all we carry forward with us is anger toward each other we gain nothing. Mistakes were made by all the players in this play. There were enough poor choices made by everyone involved, especially the main characters. The rest of us simply took up sides. So where do we go from here. Remember that no one is powerless, we can choose to drop the anger, disappointment, and 'got to win' attitude or we can continue to fuel the flames with oxygen. I'm choosing to cut out the fuel, so this will be my last posting on this subject.

Re: My Professional Response

Bob G. on 9/21/00 at 02:28 (028795)

Sorry that I've been away for about a week, but it has been a productive week!

From the posts that I've read - I've come to the obvious conclusion that I don't want to do business with anyone that is difficult to do business with in regards to returning a product found unsatisfactory. I am sorry to learn of the unsavory business practices and will not recommend Mike W to any of my friends.

Nancy S. on 9/21/00 at 10:51 (028808)

'What I did was stir the pot in an attempt to demonstrate a common theme often displayed by people who are in pain, are stressed and full of negative emotions and to show how unproductive this can be.' (Mike W.)

This statement speaks for itself nicely.
The board is chock full of wonderful, intelligent, goodhearted, well-intentioned people trying to get better and to help others -- not for use as guinea pigs. Help someone, please get me out of here! :-)
Nancy

O on 9/21/00 at 11:52 (028810)

Maybe you need a break from the board.

Susan S on 9/21/00 at 12:18 (028815)

Nancy, I wondered if I just misread that statement this morning. Thank you for responding in a kind, gentle tone. Many of us wouldn't have been so generous.
As for his 'common theme' I am having a terrible, stressful day that will probably last until late tonight but my attitude is still good.

And my feet feel great today.

Sorry to disprove your theory, Mike.

Nancy S. on 9/21/00 at 14:16 (028821)

Susan, thank you. I truly was determined not to respond to this stuff anymore, but I was too shocked.
You seem to have a great attitude, no matter what kind of day you're having. If you can ever put exactly how you do that into words, let us know, ok? Good luck on this stressful day and I hope you have a relaxing evening!
Nancy

Laurie R on 9/21/00 at 15:38 (028825)

OK!!!! Who is O ??? If you have something to say why don't you use your real name??Other wise you should not say anything at all.REMENBER be nice.......... Remenber we are all in pain.Laurie R

JudyS on 9/21/00 at 17:16 (028832)

The participants on this board are worth so much more than an anonymous post. Is that going to be the next step for us?

(Mike W.,9/20)'What I did was stir the pot in an attempt to demonstrate a common theme often displayed by people who are in pain, are stressed and full of negative emotions and to show how unproductive this can be.'

No person nor 'professional' here has the right to insult us by 'stirring the pot' or by assuming that he can or should attempt to manipulate our emotions - of which he knows absolutely nothing about. This kind of abstract justification is way too far over the line - enough is enough.

Yes, 'O', you are right, I need a break from these kinds of insults.

Beverly on 9/21/00 at 17:28 (028835)

I don't get it. I thought there was general board sentiment by yesterday morning (and probably earlier than that), that this issue had been hashed and rehashed and it was time to give it a rest. So, I don't understand why Mike felt compelled to 'restir the pot.'

Beverly

Re: Negativity

Lori E. on 9/21/00 at 17:32 (028838)

I am sorry to see that this subject of negativity has not been dropped. As to stirring the pot, Mike you sure do a good job of that.
As to 'what would a wise compassionate person would do...' I think as a compassionate person, you would have tried harder to resolve the return problem, not engaged in the negative posts that have been going back and forth, and also have tried to understand a little bit better that sometimes pain is just pain.
We are all dealing with this the best we can, and before all of this I was seriously considering buying your product. But I am really doubting you and your take on the pf problem/experience. I have done all of the above suggestions, looked at my life, tried to reduce the stress and negativity in my life and looked at what God might be trying to tell me by all of this.
I have reduced my weight, use suppliments,tried orthodics, stretching and exercise. A year later I am still in pain. Sometimes things do happen to point us all in the right direction. Sometimes its just dumb luck and you deal with it the best you can, pick yourself up and move on. The question is now, what direction are you going to take? Please let's discontinue the strife that has come to live on this board.

Pauline on 9/22/00 at 10:27 (028871)

For what it is worth. Life is about choices. I hope we can all grow and learn something from the Mike, Alan posting incident for if all we carry forward with us is anger toward each other we gain nothing. Mistakes were made by all the players in this play. There were enough poor choices made by everyone involved, especially the main characters. The rest of us simply took up sides. So where do we go from here. Remember that no one is powerless, we can choose to drop the anger, disappointment, and 'got to win' attitude or we can continue to fuel the flames with oxygen. I'm choosing to cut out the fuel, so this will be my last posting on this subject.