Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

footmaxx orthotics

Posted by wendyn on 9/20/00 at 22:23 (028789)

I was in the mall today and I noticed a new place for orthotics has opened up. I went in and quizzed the receptionist a bit.

The guy working in the place is a chiropractor. They make footmaxx orthotics. These are semi-rigid with a layer of padding on top. They had some samples - they looked not too bad. They are made with the computer sensor pad then sent away to be formed in a distant lab. Adjustments have to be sent out and aren't done in the office. $350.00 Canadian, 40 day money back guarantee (big bonus there).

I did a search and it looks like both John H and Judy S have used these....what do you think so far?

Even if I don't try them myself yet, my 15 year old is due for new orthotics and I may use him as a guinea pig.

Re: footmaxx orthotics

JudyS on 9/21/00 at 09:15 (028804)

Hi Wendy - FootMaxx actually makes about a dozen different styles for different situations. I've had two - the first was absolutely too rigid, the second, called the 'Marathoner' less so. I've tried several times to use them but I keep shying away from them because they seem to make my arches too sore. Seems like the hardest thing to do is give orthotics a proper breaking in sequence. I liked the notion of the computer-generated image.....but I can't help but wonder if my 'image' was created poorly because it was (almost a year ago) so difficult for me to take a 'normal' stride. Having said that, I'm going back to my Pod in a week or so and, now that my arches are much less rigid with scarring, I suspect I'm due for a new measurement. The Footmaxx, by the way, is a very reputable brand.

john a on 9/21/00 at 12:15 (028813)

If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Z uses Footmaxx orthotics, so they must be pretty good.

Kathy on 9/21/00 at 16:29 (028828)

PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE, If your thinking about orthotics consider finding a certified pedorthist to make them, mine were cheaper then the ones you mentioned. I've had such crummy luck with all orthotics until my new ones that a pedorthist made that I wouldn't go anywhere else and would suggest you look into it also.
Just a thought.
Kathy

john h on 9/24/00 at 11:23 (029024)

the footmax has not helped wendy. i need some further adjustments on them as theyt are putting to much pressure on my pain spot. they are semi rigid. dr z thought that they migh be bending to much in the arch area allowing tension on the fascia and suggested i have the arch area on the bottom of the orthosis filled in. i am beging to be skeptical of all orthosis unless you have a 'clearly' defined structural function they are to help. the way they are fitted is interesting. you walk across a pad with thousands of sensors and it will bring up on a tv screen in 3 demension where your foot is applying pressure as you walk. seems weel made.

JudyS on 9/24/00 at 11:35 (029027)

Like you, John, I'm at a point where I am suspicious of orthotics, period, but possibly not for the same reason. I'm still trying to give my Footmaxx Marathoners the old college try but I'm beginning to think it's moot given the new flexibility in my Plantar. But my reason for being cynical re: orthotics - they seem to be a guessing game at best. A person could go through 100 pair and still not find comfort - even if they're 'custom'. For us chronic types, that's just another bummer to try to cope with. Maybe Richard could shed some light on this for us.

JudyS on 9/24/00 at 11:54 (029033)

One more observation about the Footmaxx. John mentioned that you walk across a computer 'sensor' pad which records the distance between the pad surface and each spot on the bottom of your foot. That's how the arch of the insert is customized. It seems like a pretty cool method and that's what I though when I did it. But now I can't help but wonder....if I wasn't walking properly (couldn't because of PF pain and muscle weakness) then was the measurement accurate? Maybe there's a Footmaxx officianado out there who can advise us.

john h on 9/24/00 at 18:25 (029064)

judy: they can be heated and adjusted but that is also a guessing game.

JudyS on 9/21/00 at 09:15 (028804)

Hi Wendy - FootMaxx actually makes about a dozen different styles for different situations. I've had two - the first was absolutely too rigid, the second, called the 'Marathoner' less so. I've tried several times to use them but I keep shying away from them because they seem to make my arches too sore. Seems like the hardest thing to do is give orthotics a proper breaking in sequence. I liked the notion of the computer-generated image.....but I can't help but wonder if my 'image' was created poorly because it was (almost a year ago) so difficult for me to take a 'normal' stride. Having said that, I'm going back to my Pod in a week or so and, now that my arches are much less rigid with scarring, I suspect I'm due for a new measurement. The Footmaxx, by the way, is a very reputable brand.

john a on 9/21/00 at 12:15 (028813)

If I'm not mistaken, Dr. Z uses Footmaxx orthotics, so they must be pretty good.

Kathy on 9/21/00 at 16:29 (028828)

PLEASE, PLEASE,PLEASE, If your thinking about orthotics consider finding a certified pedorthist to make them, mine were cheaper then the ones you mentioned. I've had such crummy luck with all orthotics until my new ones that a pedorthist made that I wouldn't go anywhere else and would suggest you look into it also.
Just a thought.
Kathy

john h on 9/24/00 at 11:23 (029024)

the footmax has not helped wendy. i need some further adjustments on them as theyt are putting to much pressure on my pain spot. they are semi rigid. dr z thought that they migh be bending to much in the arch area allowing tension on the fascia and suggested i have the arch area on the bottom of the orthosis filled in. i am beging to be skeptical of all orthosis unless you have a 'clearly' defined structural function they are to help. the way they are fitted is interesting. you walk across a pad with thousands of sensors and it will bring up on a tv screen in 3 demension where your foot is applying pressure as you walk. seems weel made.

JudyS on 9/24/00 at 11:35 (029027)

Like you, John, I'm at a point where I am suspicious of orthotics, period, but possibly not for the same reason. I'm still trying to give my Footmaxx Marathoners the old college try but I'm beginning to think it's moot given the new flexibility in my Plantar. But my reason for being cynical re: orthotics - they seem to be a guessing game at best. A person could go through 100 pair and still not find comfort - even if they're 'custom'. For us chronic types, that's just another bummer to try to cope with. Maybe Richard could shed some light on this for us.

JudyS on 9/24/00 at 11:54 (029033)

One more observation about the Footmaxx. John mentioned that you walk across a computer 'sensor' pad which records the distance between the pad surface and each spot on the bottom of your foot. That's how the arch of the insert is customized. It seems like a pretty cool method and that's what I though when I did it. But now I can't help but wonder....if I wasn't walking properly (couldn't because of PF pain and muscle weakness) then was the measurement accurate? Maybe there's a Footmaxx officianado out there who can advise us.

john h on 9/24/00 at 18:25 (029064)

judy: they can be heated and adjusted but that is also a guessing game.