Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What's the difference between a Podiatrist and a Pedorthist?

Posted by BarbSCO on 9/21/00 at 10:19 (028805)

Kathy's post mentioned a Pedorthist but I've never heard of that? Help, anyone?

Re: What's the difference between a Podiatrist and a Pedorthist?

Nancy S. on 9/21/00 at 10:33 (028806)

Hi Barb, a pedorthist custom-makes orthotics for feet. We have a very nice one who posts at times on the board (Richard Graham). Also, you can do a search of the word pedorthist at the top of this page and find a good many posts that will give you more information. If I try orthotics again, I'll be going to a pedorthist for them.
Nancy

Richard C.Ped on 9/21/00 at 13:17 (028816)

Hi Barb,
I am a Board Certified Pedorthist as well as an orthopedic shoe technician. We fill prescriptions for orthopaedic footwear. We are trained to identify conditions in the foot and offer treatment alternatives. We are not physicians. We are more like 'pharmacists for the feet'. Some people call themselves 'pedorthists' with out attending the necessary schooling required to take the boards and become certified. Our studies include gait analysis, kinesiology and biomechanics. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If you want to find a C.Ped in your area, use your search engine (I use MSN) and type in 'board for certification in pedorthics'. This will lead you to the BCP web page. There you can access a feature which allows you to type in your state and have all the C.Peds listed.
Richard C.Ped P.S. Nancy, thanx for the kind words!

davidb on 9/21/00 at 13:31 (028817)

I have found that a great pedorthist who has been willing to make constant adjustments to orthotics he has made for me. I had a questionable experience with a podiatrist who measured me for orthotics and then sent away for them. I wear orthopedic shoes, for a couple of reasons, including PF, and have found a pedorthist who has been able to fit orthotics to the shoes that he also sells. I firmly believe that finding a good pedorthist who is willing to work with you is every bit as important as anything else we do to cope with PF.

Kathy on 9/21/00 at 16:20 (028826)

I totally agree with David, I just finished my second full day with my new orthotics and they feel so good, I still have morning pain and other problems but couldn't be happier with the pedorthist and my new orthotics.
Kathy

Pauline on 9/22/00 at 10:43 (028874)

Is a prescription always necessary for custom orthotics. What is
the difference if a doctor prescribes thems for you.

Richard C.Ped on 9/22/00 at 11:03 (028875)

I choose to make the orthosis by prescription only. This way, I am not diagnosing. Pedorthists are not physicians. We are not allowed to diagnose. We are, however, trained in abnormal foot conditions and how to treat them using custom orthosis. I personally
believe (my own convictions) that fabricating a pair of custom orthotics without a prescription is a form of malpractice on the pedorthists count. Reason being, someone off the street could come to me with all the classic symptoms of PF, but there could always be a more serious underlying condition that I, nor the patient, knows anything about. I have people come to me quite often, and I usually refer them to the physicians before I do anything. The prescription is also necessary in order for your insurance to cover the inserts. I hope this helps.
Richard C.Ped

Kathy on 9/22/00 at 16:08 (028891)

I had a prescription for my orthotics, (the only good thing that pod. did before he discharged me for not having surgery.
Also by having a prescription I'll be able I hope to get my money back from my insurence company.

Nancy S. on 9/21/00 at 10:33 (028806)

Hi Barb, a pedorthist custom-makes orthotics for feet. We have a very nice one who posts at times on the board (Richard Graham). Also, you can do a search of the word pedorthist at the top of this page and find a good many posts that will give you more information. If I try orthotics again, I'll be going to a pedorthist for them.
Nancy

Richard C.Ped on 9/21/00 at 13:17 (028816)

Hi Barb,
I am a Board Certified Pedorthist as well as an orthopedic shoe technician. We fill prescriptions for orthopaedic footwear. We are trained to identify conditions in the foot and offer treatment alternatives. We are not physicians. We are more like 'pharmacists for the feet'. Some people call themselves 'pedorthists' with out attending the necessary schooling required to take the boards and become certified. Our studies include gait analysis, kinesiology and biomechanics. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If you want to find a C.Ped in your area, use your search engine (I use MSN) and type in 'board for certification in pedorthics'. This will lead you to the BCP web page. There you can access a feature which allows you to type in your state and have all the C.Peds listed.
Richard C.Ped P.S. Nancy, thanx for the kind words!

davidb on 9/21/00 at 13:31 (028817)

I have found that a great pedorthist who has been willing to make constant adjustments to orthotics he has made for me. I had a questionable experience with a podiatrist who measured me for orthotics and then sent away for them. I wear orthopedic shoes, for a couple of reasons, including PF, and have found a pedorthist who has been able to fit orthotics to the shoes that he also sells. I firmly believe that finding a good pedorthist who is willing to work with you is every bit as important as anything else we do to cope with PF.

Kathy on 9/21/00 at 16:20 (028826)

I totally agree with David, I just finished my second full day with my new orthotics and they feel so good, I still have morning pain and other problems but couldn't be happier with the pedorthist and my new orthotics.
Kathy

Pauline on 9/22/00 at 10:43 (028874)

Is a prescription always necessary for custom orthotics. What is
the difference if a doctor prescribes thems for you.

Richard C.Ped on 9/22/00 at 11:03 (028875)

I choose to make the orthosis by prescription only. This way, I am not diagnosing. Pedorthists are not physicians. We are not allowed to diagnose. We are, however, trained in abnormal foot conditions and how to treat them using custom orthosis. I personally
believe (my own convictions) that fabricating a pair of custom orthotics without a prescription is a form of malpractice on the pedorthists count. Reason being, someone off the street could come to me with all the classic symptoms of PF, but there could always be a more serious underlying condition that I, nor the patient, knows anything about. I have people come to me quite often, and I usually refer them to the physicians before I do anything. The prescription is also necessary in order for your insurance to cover the inserts. I hope this helps.
Richard C.Ped

Kathy on 9/22/00 at 16:08 (028891)

I had a prescription for my orthotics, (the only good thing that pod. did before he discharged me for not having surgery.
Also by having a prescription I'll be able I hope to get my money back from my insurence company.