Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Two quick questions for stretching experts ..

Posted by PaulS on 9/22/00 at 07:12 (028860)

The wall stretch is recommended for both achilles and PF problems, but is it better to do it with bare feet, pushing the arch flat to the ground, or in shoes with arch support such as Birkenstocks? And what about curling the toes when wall-stretching as I saw recommended for PF sufferers in a running magazine?

Thanks for the advice.

Re: Two quick questions for stretching experts ..

Br. Biehler on 9/22/00 at 07:37 (028864)

You can do it with your toes curled or in shoes. The object is to stretch the achillies tendon not the plantar fascia.

Barb-NY on 9/22/00 at 07:51 (028865)

My PT has me doing the wall stretch barefooted, but with concentrating on keeping my feet pointed straight forward and keeping an arch in my foot. My arches tend to drop naturally when I stand, but he makes a point of making sure I hold my foot so my toes are on the ground and my arch is off the ground. I also do this on a slant board.

Re: Dr. B ---- wall stretch question

Steve P on 9/22/00 at 10:30 (028872)

Dr. B. --- I stopped doing wall stretches some time ago because they hurt my feet so much. But I can do a good Achilles Tendon stretch while sitting in a chair & positioning my foot flat on the floor, under the chair for max dorsiflection. I feel tightness in the calf but no foot pain. This seems to me to be accomplishing the same thing, but without weightbearing. What do you think?

thanks...........Steve P

Pauline on 9/22/00 at 10:34 (028873)

Interesting on how different Dr. order different things. My Dr. has me doing wall stretches with the back foot turned in. This really pulls the PF area. I prefer my slant board though because I think it does a better job.

Beverly on 9/22/00 at 16:51 (028892)

I don't do anything barefooted. I don't even walk across the bathroom barefooted.

I can't yet do the wall stretch. I tried it a few times in PT... too much pain. All my stretches are nonweightbearing.
Beverly

Barb-NY on 9/22/00 at 19:02 (028906)

I have no problem walking barfooted. I'm one of those atypical PF sufferers. No morning pain either.

I asked my PT about walking barefoot. He wants me to do it, at least in PT.

Barbara TX on 9/22/00 at 19:10 (028907)

Hello, fellow Babs of the Big Apple... I seem to have 'atypical' PF too - not much morning pain (like, does all-the-time pain qualify) and I have this INSANE desire to walk barefooted. What does your PT say that the barefoot walking does? Oh, how I miss it. B.

Br. Biehler on 9/22/00 at 07:37 (028864)

You can do it with your toes curled or in shoes. The object is to stretch the achillies tendon not the plantar fascia.

Barb-NY on 9/22/00 at 07:51 (028865)

My PT has me doing the wall stretch barefooted, but with concentrating on keeping my feet pointed straight forward and keeping an arch in my foot. My arches tend to drop naturally when I stand, but he makes a point of making sure I hold my foot so my toes are on the ground and my arch is off the ground. I also do this on a slant board.

Re: Dr. B ---- wall stretch question

Steve P on 9/22/00 at 10:30 (028872)

Dr. B. --- I stopped doing wall stretches some time ago because they hurt my feet so much. But I can do a good Achilles Tendon stretch while sitting in a chair & positioning my foot flat on the floor, under the chair for max dorsiflection. I feel tightness in the calf but no foot pain. This seems to me to be accomplishing the same thing, but without weightbearing. What do you think?

thanks...........Steve P

Pauline on 9/22/00 at 10:34 (028873)

Interesting on how different Dr. order different things. My Dr. has me doing wall stretches with the back foot turned in. This really pulls the PF area. I prefer my slant board though because I think it does a better job.

Beverly on 9/22/00 at 16:51 (028892)

I don't do anything barefooted. I don't even walk across the bathroom barefooted.

I can't yet do the wall stretch. I tried it a few times in PT... too much pain. All my stretches are nonweightbearing.
Beverly

Barb-NY on 9/22/00 at 19:02 (028906)

I have no problem walking barfooted. I'm one of those atypical PF sufferers. No morning pain either.

I asked my PT about walking barefoot. He wants me to do it, at least in PT.

Barbara TX on 9/22/00 at 19:10 (028907)

Hello, fellow Babs of the Big Apple... I seem to have 'atypical' PF too - not much morning pain (like, does all-the-time pain qualify) and I have this INSANE desire to walk barefooted. What does your PT say that the barefoot walking does? Oh, how I miss it. B.