Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT in Florida - Just had it done

Posted by Molly on 9/22/00 at 15:10 (028884)

Hello to all you PF sufferers. I'm not a usual poster at this board but I'm a frequent reader and feel I know you all. I live in Tampa, Florida and recently learned, from this website, that Orbasone was offered in Ft. Myers, Florida from Dr. Ostendorf. I've been a PF sufferer for 2 years, done all the conservative treatments and finally decided that ESWT was worth checking out. I drove down to Ft. Myers (2 hours away) yesterday had an appointment with Dr. Ostendorf that afternoon and the treatment was scheduled for the following morning, (this morning). They were all very nice to me there and treated me great. Dr. Ostendorf was extremely nice. He stuck me with needles to numb my foot which hurt, but not too bad. The Orbasone treatment hurt a little at first and was a bit uncomfortable, but as time went on, it got better and better. It lasted about 45 minutes. My mom drove me back home afterwards and I've just been resting the rest of today. My foot has been numb, like it's asleep, for most of the day and I probably won't know if this actually worked for me for a couple of days, maybe even weeks. If anyone wants to email me with any questions or is considering ESWT, please feel free to email me. I will keep you posted on my recovery.

Molly

Re: ESWT in Florida - Just had it done

john h on 9/22/00 at 18:44 (028904)

molly: had ESWT yesterday also. my numbness went away in about 3-4 hours. i had the treatment in both feet and then drove about 100 miles with no problems. i will be interested to see how your foot feels in about 3 days. my foot is currently 'sore'. what did your doctor tell you to do for the next few weeks? ice?anti-inflamatories? stretch? rest? night splint? anything?

Molly on 9/22/00 at 19:29 (028910)

Hi John. Yes, my foot is very sore now, it's 8:30 pm and I had it done this morning at 8 am. They told me to ice, take Advil, and stretch lightly and 'take it easy.' I wonder when the soreness will go away. Tomorrow? Keep me posted on your progess, I'll do the same. Molly

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/22/00 at 20:34 (028913)

Dr. Z post-op care for ESWT

1. Ice for the next three days for severe pain.
2. Heat if the area is sore but not throbbing.
3. No bare feet.
4 No runnning or long distance mall shopping for the next six weeks
5. No stretching for one week or if you are in any pain. Use the personal foot trainer.
6.Jersy tomatoes one daily for the next seven days.

Re: Thanks Dr. Z

Molly on 9/23/00 at 09:18 (028927)

Thanks for all your responses Dr. Z. I appreciate all your comments and time you take to contribute to this board, as I'm sure many others do as well.

I'm taking it easy today, feeling a bit sore. I'm wearing my Birkenstocks around the house (I have tile floors and I'd NEVER go barefoot). Do you think I should be wearing sneakers instead? Sneakers tend to make my foot hot and I feel throbbing. Sounds strange that Birks would feel better than sneaks.

I'm going to Las Vegas on Oct 3 and I'm very nervous about getting around. I think I will take my crutches. I've gotten very good at using them. I'd hate to reinjure anything ESWT has done. What do you think Dr. Z?

Molly

john h on 9/23/00 at 09:27 (028928)

molly: i did not ice or take anti-inflamatories, wear birk sandals. pain is down this morning by about 40-50% from yesterday. it is a soreness pain as opposed to a pf type pain. i can press on the sore spot. i do not plan on doing any stretching this week. from my past experience i think in about 3 days most of your soreness will be gone and you will begin to see some results. 12 weeks to see max results. ask your doc but crutches do not seem like a good idea to me. just do not go mall shopping for hours.

wendyn on 9/23/00 at 10:05 (028936)

Molly, I don't know a lot about ESWT...but if you're going to have to be out and about for a day...don't rule out using a wheelchair. I wouldn't recommend at as an all the time thing...but if you want to go for a long day of sightseeing - a wheelchair can be a great way to do everything and not risk re-injury. When my feet were bad I used it to go Christmas shopping and it was one of the best things I did. Now I'm out stomping around the malls with the best of them.

Off to Home Depot and it's cruel cement floors....

Molly on 9/23/00 at 11:23 (028943)

Thanks for the comments Wendyn and John. John, why are crutches bad? I only had one foot done, not both, does it matter? So walking is a better alternative than crutches? Of course wheelchair is the best scenario, but where does one get their hands on one of those? I'd hate to be a burden to my family.

Re: Thanks Dr. Z -- to Molly

Nancy S. on 9/23/00 at 11:42 (028946)

Hi Molly,
I've heard that wheelchairs are easy to rent, and not too expensive. Maybe if you call the Las Vegas chamber of commerce they could give you phone numbers?
Throughout my long bout of PF and tendonitis, I've used the motorized scooters when going on a lengthy grocery shopping trip or to Home Depot. My husband and I went to Home Depot last weekend, but the scooters were all taken. I'm making a lot of progress now, but certainly didn't want to push it or cause a setback by walking around that place for an hour.
So I plopped into one of the wheelchairs and my husband pushed me around. (At times I could do it myself, with my arms.) This wheelchair bit was a first for us, and to tell you the truth, it was fun! My husband said it wasn't a burden at all -- it was actually freeing for us both, because I was comfortable, in no pain, and so in a good mood and able to concentrate on what we were there for (and make jokes). If I'd been straining to hobble around, my mood would not have been good, I wouldn't have been able to concentrate, and I would have been begging to leave before we were through.
So actually I think it's much less burdensome for the family if you're not hobbling, not in pain, and can enjoy your time out without needing to cut activities short. I'd have my husband add to this and encourage you, but he's out building a new roof for our barn, the lucky dog.
My advice is, rent a wheelchair and have a great time!
Nancy

wendyn on 9/23/00 at 14:27 (028957)

I assume if you'll be in vegas - you'll be staying in a hotel. Call ahead and ask them, they probably have them right in the hotel that you could rent/use. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll know where to send you.

I was less 'of a burden' to be with when I was in a wheel chair. The only time I used one was to go on big shopping trips and once to go to a museum. It was much more pleasent for all concerned that they didn't have to wait for me to hobble along - and put up with my increasing irritability from sore feet. People will stare at you, just don't look at them (gives you a real appreciation of what disabled people put up with all the time)

john h on 9/23/00 at 18:23 (028973)

molly: i think that using crutches would be counter productive in that your healing would be taking place with the foot in a loose position. seems to me a cam walker would be better as the foot would be dorsiflexed at least. i think the people who went to canada were advised to walk. i never have read about anyone having the treatment then using crutches. perhaps the doctors can comment on this. i mowed the yard today. still have some soreness but less than yesterday. i was commenting to Dr Z that there did not seem to be a protocol for what one should do after this treatment. people who went to canada for the treatment were told different things by the same doctor. the ESWT book that i browsed through did not mention a post protocol criteria for ESWT. since it is not entirely understood how this treatment works i guess it is not clear what a post treatment protocol should be. maybe your crutch idea is better than my idea.

Molly on 9/23/00 at 21:53 (028991)

Thank you everyone for your input. As John mentions, post treatment is very confusing because I've heard that I should ice and I've also heard I shouldn't. I've heard I should stretch, I've also heard I shouldn't. I'm starting to get so confused! I still don't know what to do about the crutches, take them or not, wheelchair or not (I hate that idea). I guess I'll see how I do once I get there. Hopefully, I won't just sit in the hotel room! :)

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/23/00 at 23:18 (029001)

I did place patients in Cam Walkers in the beginning if I though they would going to do too much. I didn't find any difference with the use of Cam Walkers. If you are the type of person that will just over do it then a Cam Walker is a good idea. We now call most patients on a weekly basis to see if we need to add this to the post-op or that. Most patient get the same post-op instruction. Ice for pain. If soreness then heat. no bare feet. No long distance type walking such as malls or excercise walking. I don't like to have the patient start to stretch right away. I find that too much activity too soon could delay the healing , or increase the pain and then a 2nd second has to be done. I don't know if the 2nd treatment is due to too much activity or that the patient just needed a second treatment.

Re: TO Dr. Z

Molly on 9/24/00 at 08:55 (029008)

I have a stupid question. What IS a Cam Walker? Thanks.

Molly

john h on 9/24/00 at 11:46 (029030)

for any of you who have to use crutches i found something i used when i was on crutches after surgery. i had the light weight aluminum crutches. you can buy some feet that attach to all aluminum crutches that have springs in them (shock absorbers). they remove an enormous amount of pressure from your arms and wrist. my orthopedic surgeon wanted to know where to acquire them. they were not expensive and actually let you hop up curbs, etc with ease which is not always easy on crutches.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/24/00 at 19:57 (029069)

It is a removal cast type boot. Looks like a skit boot. Takes alot of the weight and pressure off of the foot and ankle.

Re: To JOHN H

Molly on 9/25/00 at 08:10 (029094)

Where did you buy these springs for your crutches? Medical supply store?

john h on 9/22/00 at 18:44 (028904)

molly: had ESWT yesterday also. my numbness went away in about 3-4 hours. i had the treatment in both feet and then drove about 100 miles with no problems. i will be interested to see how your foot feels in about 3 days. my foot is currently 'sore'. what did your doctor tell you to do for the next few weeks? ice?anti-inflamatories? stretch? rest? night splint? anything?

Molly on 9/22/00 at 19:29 (028910)

Hi John. Yes, my foot is very sore now, it's 8:30 pm and I had it done this morning at 8 am. They told me to ice, take Advil, and stretch lightly and 'take it easy.' I wonder when the soreness will go away. Tomorrow? Keep me posted on your progess, I'll do the same. Molly

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/22/00 at 20:34 (028913)

Dr. Z post-op care for ESWT

1. Ice for the next three days for severe pain.
2. Heat if the area is sore but not throbbing.
3. No bare feet.
4 No runnning or long distance mall shopping for the next six weeks
5. No stretching for one week or if you are in any pain. Use the personal foot trainer.
6.Jersy tomatoes one daily for the next seven days.

Molly on 9/23/00 at 09:18 (028927)

Thanks for all your responses Dr. Z. I appreciate all your comments and time you take to contribute to this board, as I'm sure many others do as well.

I'm taking it easy today, feeling a bit sore. I'm wearing my Birkenstocks around the house (I have tile floors and I'd NEVER go barefoot). Do you think I should be wearing sneakers instead? Sneakers tend to make my foot hot and I feel throbbing. Sounds strange that Birks would feel better than sneaks.

I'm going to Las Vegas on Oct 3 and I'm very nervous about getting around. I think I will take my crutches. I've gotten very good at using them. I'd hate to reinjure anything ESWT has done. What do you think Dr. Z?

Molly

john h on 9/23/00 at 09:27 (028928)

molly: i did not ice or take anti-inflamatories, wear birk sandals. pain is down this morning by about 40-50% from yesterday. it is a soreness pain as opposed to a pf type pain. i can press on the sore spot. i do not plan on doing any stretching this week. from my past experience i think in about 3 days most of your soreness will be gone and you will begin to see some results. 12 weeks to see max results. ask your doc but crutches do not seem like a good idea to me. just do not go mall shopping for hours.

wendyn on 9/23/00 at 10:05 (028936)

Molly, I don't know a lot about ESWT...but if you're going to have to be out and about for a day...don't rule out using a wheelchair. I wouldn't recommend at as an all the time thing...but if you want to go for a long day of sightseeing - a wheelchair can be a great way to do everything and not risk re-injury. When my feet were bad I used it to go Christmas shopping and it was one of the best things I did. Now I'm out stomping around the malls with the best of them.

Off to Home Depot and it's cruel cement floors....

Molly on 9/23/00 at 11:23 (028943)

Thanks for the comments Wendyn and John. John, why are crutches bad? I only had one foot done, not both, does it matter? So walking is a better alternative than crutches? Of course wheelchair is the best scenario, but where does one get their hands on one of those? I'd hate to be a burden to my family.

Re: Thanks Dr. Z -- to Molly

Nancy S. on 9/23/00 at 11:42 (028946)

Hi Molly,
I've heard that wheelchairs are easy to rent, and not too expensive. Maybe if you call the Las Vegas chamber of commerce they could give you phone numbers?
Throughout my long bout of PF and tendonitis, I've used the motorized scooters when going on a lengthy grocery shopping trip or to Home Depot. My husband and I went to Home Depot last weekend, but the scooters were all taken. I'm making a lot of progress now, but certainly didn't want to push it or cause a setback by walking around that place for an hour.
So I plopped into one of the wheelchairs and my husband pushed me around. (At times I could do it myself, with my arms.) This wheelchair bit was a first for us, and to tell you the truth, it was fun! My husband said it wasn't a burden at all -- it was actually freeing for us both, because I was comfortable, in no pain, and so in a good mood and able to concentrate on what we were there for (and make jokes). If I'd been straining to hobble around, my mood would not have been good, I wouldn't have been able to concentrate, and I would have been begging to leave before we were through.
So actually I think it's much less burdensome for the family if you're not hobbling, not in pain, and can enjoy your time out without needing to cut activities short. I'd have my husband add to this and encourage you, but he's out building a new roof for our barn, the lucky dog.
My advice is, rent a wheelchair and have a great time!
Nancy

wendyn on 9/23/00 at 14:27 (028957)

I assume if you'll be in vegas - you'll be staying in a hotel. Call ahead and ask them, they probably have them right in the hotel that you could rent/use. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll know where to send you.

I was less 'of a burden' to be with when I was in a wheel chair. The only time I used one was to go on big shopping trips and once to go to a museum. It was much more pleasent for all concerned that they didn't have to wait for me to hobble along - and put up with my increasing irritability from sore feet. People will stare at you, just don't look at them (gives you a real appreciation of what disabled people put up with all the time)

john h on 9/23/00 at 18:23 (028973)

molly: i think that using crutches would be counter productive in that your healing would be taking place with the foot in a loose position. seems to me a cam walker would be better as the foot would be dorsiflexed at least. i think the people who went to canada were advised to walk. i never have read about anyone having the treatment then using crutches. perhaps the doctors can comment on this. i mowed the yard today. still have some soreness but less than yesterday. i was commenting to Dr Z that there did not seem to be a protocol for what one should do after this treatment. people who went to canada for the treatment were told different things by the same doctor. the ESWT book that i browsed through did not mention a post protocol criteria for ESWT. since it is not entirely understood how this treatment works i guess it is not clear what a post treatment protocol should be. maybe your crutch idea is better than my idea.

Molly on 9/23/00 at 21:53 (028991)

Thank you everyone for your input. As John mentions, post treatment is very confusing because I've heard that I should ice and I've also heard I shouldn't. I've heard I should stretch, I've also heard I shouldn't. I'm starting to get so confused! I still don't know what to do about the crutches, take them or not, wheelchair or not (I hate that idea). I guess I'll see how I do once I get there. Hopefully, I won't just sit in the hotel room! :)

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/23/00 at 23:18 (029001)

I did place patients in Cam Walkers in the beginning if I though they would going to do too much. I didn't find any difference with the use of Cam Walkers. If you are the type of person that will just over do it then a Cam Walker is a good idea. We now call most patients on a weekly basis to see if we need to add this to the post-op or that. Most patient get the same post-op instruction. Ice for pain. If soreness then heat. no bare feet. No long distance type walking such as malls or excercise walking. I don't like to have the patient start to stretch right away. I find that too much activity too soon could delay the healing , or increase the pain and then a 2nd second has to be done. I don't know if the 2nd treatment is due to too much activity or that the patient just needed a second treatment.

Molly on 9/24/00 at 08:55 (029008)

I have a stupid question. What IS a Cam Walker? Thanks.

Molly

john h on 9/24/00 at 11:46 (029030)

for any of you who have to use crutches i found something i used when i was on crutches after surgery. i had the light weight aluminum crutches. you can buy some feet that attach to all aluminum crutches that have springs in them (shock absorbers). they remove an enormous amount of pressure from your arms and wrist. my orthopedic surgeon wanted to know where to acquire them. they were not expensive and actually let you hop up curbs, etc with ease which is not always easy on crutches.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/24/00 at 19:57 (029069)

It is a removal cast type boot. Looks like a skit boot. Takes alot of the weight and pressure off of the foot and ankle.

Re: To JOHN H

Molly on 9/25/00 at 08:10 (029094)

Where did you buy these springs for your crutches? Medical supply store?