Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Infrormation from reading the new bood on ESWT

Posted by Dr. Zuckerman on 9/22/00 at 21:15 (028920)

1. ESWT treatment works better on long time pf- heel spur patient., then the pf-heel spur in acute condition.
2. The effect of shockwave treatment on heel spurs continue to improve from 6-12 weeks.
3. Observation confirm that repeated treatments with shockwaves may be beneficial and can have a cummululative positive effect
4. In patients in whom conservation treatment has failed ,surgery has been the only alternative , but it sucess rate barely exceeds that of shockwave and surgery can still be performed if shockwave therpy fails (Haupt 1991)

5.If you have shockwave treatment and the first treatment failed you still can have good response with a second and third treatment.

6. Patients that have had shockwave therapy can eventually resume recreational activity such as jogging, tennis and balet, which require a high heel impact. I am not talking about the next day .

7.If you have neuropathic reasons ( neuropathy ) TTS. shockwave therapy isn't going to help you

8. So long as there is improve continue giving the shockwave treatment

9. I just read the opposite that in pf and heel spur the results were better with a shorter history of pain except when treating achilles tendonitis. This is a little confusing so I have to think about what this means

Re: Infrormation from reading the new book on ESWT

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/22/00 at 21:15 (028921)

Should be book

Re: Infrormation from reading the new bood on ESWT

PaulS on 9/23/00 at 03:32 (028925)

Dr Z. Let me first add my thanks for your invaluable support and advice on this site. You certainly make it easier for us lay people to make sensible choices among the myriad of treatment possibilities for PF.

As a sufferer from PF and Achilles tendonosis I had recently been considering EWST as the next step, and so I am very interested in your comments about the new book.

Briefly my history is this: In August 1999 I had a small tear in my achilles while playing tennis which didn't respond to conservative treatment. In fact by February of this year the affected achilles region had become much thicker than the normal side. (This does not seem to be inflammation however since it is not directly painful to the touch.)

Around the same time I experienced a brief sharp pain in the arch of the affected foot while standing. This has since turned into a constant dull pain in the arch which increases when walking or standing for any time. Interestingly, the pain in the arch and the pain in the achilles seem to alternate. When one part gets better the other gets worse. (For the last 6 weeks the PF has been worse.)

I have followed advice on AT from a runner's website which suggested 'the treatment of choice for AT is massage with a heat-inducing cream'. However, after doing this for a few weeks, I had the impression that the lumps around the achilles were getting bigger and knottier so I stopped. Maybe I should have persevered a little longer.

Anyway to my ESWT questions: is ESWT an appropriate treatment at this point for both my foot conditions? If so, which should be done first or could they be treated at the same time?

Many thanks again for your advice.

john h on 9/23/00 at 09:29 (028929)

i do not think i will resume by balet. do they have orthosis for balet shoes. bet they ar not rigid!

john h on 9/23/00 at 09:33 (028930)

prior to my pf i had a bad case of achilles tendonatis from running up hill. a huge knot developed on the tendon. physical thearpy with very very aggressive massage of the lump in the tendon cured it in aobut 3-4 weeks. the massage was very painful and it was done by a very stron guy with very stron hands. they also had me warm it up in a whirlpool, stretch it on an incline board after massage and then ice it.

Re: Dr.Z......Infrormation from reading the new bood on ESWT

Sue R on 9/23/00 at 09:41 (028934)

What about if the pain is not at the insertion anymore? How about in the arch? Any news on that?

Thanks,
Sue R

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/23/00 at 12:43 (028951)

Still nothing about the arch or in the middle of the plantar fascia

Barbara TX on 9/23/00 at 20:04 (028983)

I am thrilled that I can go back to ballet. It was so sad to leave the Bolshoi and my adoring fans and only to sit on the couch while my tutus gather dust. Swan Lake will be so much easier for me to dance without the PF. Madame Babinski

Re: John h and Barbara TX

Nancy S. on 9/23/00 at 22:55 (028995)

Oh ballet shmallet! I'm sure you guys were great, BUT I had to interrupt my vaudeville tap-dancing career. All my makeup dried up and crumbled into smithereens, and my patent leather tap shoes oxidized and now are dull old bones.
I'm wondering, John, about YOUR tutus. Did they gather dust like Barbara's, or has your maid kept them up all these years.
Nancy

Re: Infrormation from reading the new book on ESWT

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/22/00 at 21:15 (028921)

Should be book

PaulS on 9/23/00 at 03:32 (028925)

Dr Z. Let me first add my thanks for your invaluable support and advice on this site. You certainly make it easier for us lay people to make sensible choices among the myriad of treatment possibilities for PF.

As a sufferer from PF and Achilles tendonosis I had recently been considering EWST as the next step, and so I am very interested in your comments about the new book.

Briefly my history is this: In August 1999 I had a small tear in my achilles while playing tennis which didn't respond to conservative treatment. In fact by February of this year the affected achilles region had become much thicker than the normal side. (This does not seem to be inflammation however since it is not directly painful to the touch.)

Around the same time I experienced a brief sharp pain in the arch of the affected foot while standing. This has since turned into a constant dull pain in the arch which increases when walking or standing for any time. Interestingly, the pain in the arch and the pain in the achilles seem to alternate. When one part gets better the other gets worse. (For the last 6 weeks the PF has been worse.)

I have followed advice on AT from a runner's website which suggested 'the treatment of choice for AT is massage with a heat-inducing cream'. However, after doing this for a few weeks, I had the impression that the lumps around the achilles were getting bigger and knottier so I stopped. Maybe I should have persevered a little longer.

Anyway to my ESWT questions: is ESWT an appropriate treatment at this point for both my foot conditions? If so, which should be done first or could they be treated at the same time?

Many thanks again for your advice.

john h on 9/23/00 at 09:29 (028929)

i do not think i will resume by balet. do they have orthosis for balet shoes. bet they ar not rigid!

john h on 9/23/00 at 09:33 (028930)

prior to my pf i had a bad case of achilles tendonatis from running up hill. a huge knot developed on the tendon. physical thearpy with very very aggressive massage of the lump in the tendon cured it in aobut 3-4 weeks. the massage was very painful and it was done by a very stron guy with very stron hands. they also had me warm it up in a whirlpool, stretch it on an incline board after massage and then ice it.

Sue R on 9/23/00 at 09:41 (028934)

What about if the pain is not at the insertion anymore? How about in the arch? Any news on that?

Thanks,
Sue R

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/23/00 at 12:43 (028951)

Still nothing about the arch or in the middle of the plantar fascia

Barbara TX on 9/23/00 at 20:04 (028983)

I am thrilled that I can go back to ballet. It was so sad to leave the Bolshoi and my adoring fans and only to sit on the couch while my tutus gather dust. Swan Lake will be so much easier for me to dance without the PF. Madame Babinski

Re: John h and Barbara TX

Nancy S. on 9/23/00 at 22:55 (028995)

Oh ballet shmallet! I'm sure you guys were great, BUT I had to interrupt my vaudeville tap-dancing career. All my makeup dried up and crumbled into smithereens, and my patent leather tap shoes oxidized and now are dull old bones.
I'm wondering, John, about YOUR tutus. Did they gather dust like Barbara's, or has your maid kept them up all these years.
Nancy