Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Spenco inserts question

Posted by Mary AnnS on 9/24/00 at 12:09 (029037)

Can you buy these inserts in stores? Thanks

Re: Spenco inserts question

Dr. Biehler on 9/24/00 at 12:58 (029041)

Spenco was invented to keep runners feet from sliding in their sneakers.To should be able to by spenco inserts in all kinds of stores.

Nancy S. on 9/24/00 at 15:19 (029053)

Mary Ann, I think I've seen Spenco inserts most often in some shoe stores and also in sports stores. (My PT gave me mine.) I'm doing pretty well in them!
Nancy

Beverly on 9/24/00 at 15:23 (029056)

Mary Ann,

Of all the inserts I've tried and I've tried plenty, the green Spenco's are the only ones that I've found helpful... not a 'cure' but helpful.
Of course we all have different feet. For instance, I have a fairly high but not extremely high arch.
Best luck,
Beverly

SandyS on 9/26/00 at 05:54 (029159)

I found Spenco inserts at Walmart and some pharmacy chains.

Nancy N on 9/26/00 at 07:58 (029160)

Is there only one type of Spenco insert, or are there several varieties to really confuse me? Are they full-length, or just to the ball of the foot?

Also, this may seem like an odd question, but do most of you who use inserts/orthotics wear them directly under your foot, or do you put them under the insole of the shoe? I've seen two different doctors, one who said to put them under the insole, and another who said you should never do that. What's your experience?

Thanks!

Nancy S. on 9/26/00 at 08:09 (029161)

Good morning again, Nancy:
I'm not sure if there are different varieties of Spenco. Like Beverly, I have the green ones and they are full length. (I'll never do partial again.) I think they might run a little big. At least for me, a smaller pair work better than the size I would have automatically chosen. (I wear 8 1/2 or 9 shoe, but size 7-8 Spencos fit perfectly.)
I never heard of putting an insert under your shoe's insole, and it sounds like the effect might be kind of cuckoo (warpo). Just my unexpert opinion.
Nancy

john h on 9/26/00 at 15:11 (029196)

i am revisitingthe full length viscoped by bauerfeind as an insert. for two days it has been as good as the birks, no excess pressure on the sore spot. provides a little support but not a lot and is soft. using them in new balance 852. any insert/orthotic which places pressure on my fascia at the inside of my foot just does not work for me. as most of you know these are 100% soft synthetic. sportts medicine dr sold them to me several years ago and i never really gave them a shot. they are off the shelf.

Dr. Biehler on 9/24/00 at 12:58 (029041)

Spenco was invented to keep runners feet from sliding in their sneakers.To should be able to by spenco inserts in all kinds of stores.

Nancy S. on 9/24/00 at 15:19 (029053)

Mary Ann, I think I've seen Spenco inserts most often in some shoe stores and also in sports stores. (My PT gave me mine.) I'm doing pretty well in them!
Nancy

Beverly on 9/24/00 at 15:23 (029056)

Mary Ann,

Of all the inserts I've tried and I've tried plenty, the green Spenco's are the only ones that I've found helpful... not a 'cure' but helpful.
Of course we all have different feet. For instance, I have a fairly high but not extremely high arch.
Best luck,
Beverly

SandyS on 9/26/00 at 05:54 (029159)

I found Spenco inserts at Walmart and some pharmacy chains.

Nancy N on 9/26/00 at 07:58 (029160)

Is there only one type of Spenco insert, or are there several varieties to really confuse me? Are they full-length, or just to the ball of the foot?

Also, this may seem like an odd question, but do most of you who use inserts/orthotics wear them directly under your foot, or do you put them under the insole of the shoe? I've seen two different doctors, one who said to put them under the insole, and another who said you should never do that. What's your experience?

Thanks!

Nancy S. on 9/26/00 at 08:09 (029161)

Good morning again, Nancy:
I'm not sure if there are different varieties of Spenco. Like Beverly, I have the green ones and they are full length. (I'll never do partial again.) I think they might run a little big. At least for me, a smaller pair work better than the size I would have automatically chosen. (I wear 8 1/2 or 9 shoe, but size 7-8 Spencos fit perfectly.)
I never heard of putting an insert under your shoe's insole, and it sounds like the effect might be kind of cuckoo (warpo). Just my unexpert opinion.
Nancy

john h on 9/26/00 at 15:11 (029196)

i am revisitingthe full length viscoped by bauerfeind as an insert. for two days it has been as good as the birks, no excess pressure on the sore spot. provides a little support but not a lot and is soft. using them in new balance 852. any insert/orthotic which places pressure on my fascia at the inside of my foot just does not work for me. as most of you know these are 100% soft synthetic. sportts medicine dr sold them to me several years ago and i never really gave them a shot. they are off the shelf.