Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thanks Scott R

Posted by Kathy A on 9/24/00 at 13:43 (029043)

I read your postings on your experiences with Vit C and decided that I had nothing to lose. I tried the Vitamin C in large doses (about 12- 500mg tablets of Ester C daily) for the last 6 to 7 weeks and I am able to walk without pain for the first time in about 2 years. I have had pf for over 10 years, off and on, but totally on for the last 2 years. Nothing was working--orthotics, shots, stretching, orthotics. I tried the Vit C and I have my life back. I also have fibromyalgia and that is better too. The Vit C is obviously something my system needed and wasn't getting. I had noticeable relief, using the Vit C, after 2 days and have been mostly pain free since about 2 weeks. The pain comes back when I am on my feet more but I am building up slowly to walking more every day. I watch for the symptoms of burning and pain, and then go rest and ice my feet. I only have to do that about once a week now. And I have noticed that I don't get as stressed out as I used to, and that is great. Again, Thanks Scott.

Re: Thanks Scott R

Helene M on 9/24/00 at 17:15 (029058)

Kathy, I hope you don't mind answering a few questions. What brand of Ester C are you taking? Did you increase the dosage gradually? Did you take it with food? Did it cause any gastrointestinal upset? Thanks!

Nancy N on 9/24/00 at 17:59 (029062)

What's the difference between Ester C and the regular kind?

Scott R on 9/24/00 at 18:45 (029065)

Thanks for letting me know. For those wondering Ester C is available at http://www.vitaminshoppe.com I'm not convinced Ester C is any better than the other forms, but if it does release more slowly but is still absorbed well, then it is better because blood levels do reduce in a few hours. Do not use the chewable kind because the acid rots your teeth.

Re: Ester C and Re: Thanks Scott R

Kathy A on 9/25/00 at 12:09 (029105)

Hi Nancy,
I was told by my vet to use Ester C instead of regular C for my dogs because it doesn't cause the stomach upset. And it is supposed to be about twice the strength of regular C, meaning one 500 mg tablet of Ester C is equivalent to 1000 mg of regular C. I just take it when I can, empty stomach or not. I haven't had any stomach prolems and I didn't start it out slowly. I have to take a complex B supplement with it or my feet cramp up, I don't know why. But I live in a very remote area, 50 miles toa store, and I buy my vitamins through the mail from Puritans Pride, http://www.puritanspride.com . I don't know if they are better or worse but they seem to work for me and it is convenient. I think any good source for C or ester C would be okay. But I am certainly no expert.
I can't take prescription medicines, I seem to have reactions to them, because of my fibromyalgia. So, I have mostly turned to herbs and vitamins and I have more relief for my health problems than I ever did with prescription meds. That might just be me, everybody is different. But my guess is that I was having some of the problems because of deficiencies in my system, I don't know for sure. But I wanted to share my experience with vitamin C in case it can help someone else, like Scott R's sharing helped me. This may not help everyone but it did help me. The research has differing opinions on whether it can be healthy to take it long term. But it is definitely not healthy for me to suffer and be depressed because I can't even walk outside to enjoy life. It is a trade off and a risk that I am willing to accept in order to enjoy life. Just do your own research and make the decision because it feels right for you.
I don't know for sure how this will affect me long term, maybe I will be able to decrease the C in the future, but if I have to take it for the rest of my life, it will be worth it for getting my life back. Pain sure makes you appreciate the little things in life.

Helene M on 9/24/00 at 17:15 (029058)

Kathy, I hope you don't mind answering a few questions. What brand of Ester C are you taking? Did you increase the dosage gradually? Did you take it with food? Did it cause any gastrointestinal upset? Thanks!

Nancy N on 9/24/00 at 17:59 (029062)

What's the difference between Ester C and the regular kind?

Scott R on 9/24/00 at 18:45 (029065)

Thanks for letting me know. For those wondering Ester C is available at http://www.vitaminshoppe.com I'm not convinced Ester C is any better than the other forms, but if it does release more slowly but is still absorbed well, then it is better because blood levels do reduce in a few hours. Do not use the chewable kind because the acid rots your teeth.

Re: Ester C and Re: Thanks Scott R

Kathy A on 9/25/00 at 12:09 (029105)

Hi Nancy,
I was told by my vet to use Ester C instead of regular C for my dogs because it doesn't cause the stomach upset. And it is supposed to be about twice the strength of regular C, meaning one 500 mg tablet of Ester C is equivalent to 1000 mg of regular C. I just take it when I can, empty stomach or not. I haven't had any stomach prolems and I didn't start it out slowly. I have to take a complex B supplement with it or my feet cramp up, I don't know why. But I live in a very remote area, 50 miles toa store, and I buy my vitamins through the mail from Puritans Pride, http://www.puritanspride.com . I don't know if they are better or worse but they seem to work for me and it is convenient. I think any good source for C or ester C would be okay. But I am certainly no expert.
I can't take prescription medicines, I seem to have reactions to them, because of my fibromyalgia. So, I have mostly turned to herbs and vitamins and I have more relief for my health problems than I ever did with prescription meds. That might just be me, everybody is different. But my guess is that I was having some of the problems because of deficiencies in my system, I don't know for sure. But I wanted to share my experience with vitamin C in case it can help someone else, like Scott R's sharing helped me. This may not help everyone but it did help me. The research has differing opinions on whether it can be healthy to take it long term. But it is definitely not healthy for me to suffer and be depressed because I can't even walk outside to enjoy life. It is a trade off and a risk that I am willing to accept in order to enjoy life. Just do your own research and make the decision because it feels right for you.
I don't know for sure how this will affect me long term, maybe I will be able to decrease the C in the future, but if I have to take it for the rest of my life, it will be worth it for getting my life back. Pain sure makes you appreciate the little things in life.