Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Results: Yesterday's Muscle Release Therapy Session

Posted by Denise E on 9/24/00 at 14:00 (029044)

Had my 1st visit to a neuromuscular therapist yesterday. He worked on me for an hour (both feet and legs). Cost is $60/hr - not covered by my insurance unfortunately (aetna ppo). If felt great and wanted to post yesterday but thought it wise to wait since we all know the nature of this PF monster. Sometimes it doesn't bite until the next day. Well it's the next day and my feet still feel great.

Beverly - The first thing I did when I walked into the therapy room was to show him your posting about your painful experience with a foot reflexologist. He immediately told me he didn't believe in inflicting pain. He put me at ease by saying we would use a scale where 1 would cause me the least amount of discomfort and 10 would cause me the most amount of discomfort. He wanted our session to stay within the 5 to 7 on this scale.

Basically he put pressure on my different muscles, ligaments, tendons and fascia with 1 hand and manipulated the leg or foot with the other. What I did find out much to my surprise is that I had intense discomfort when he pressed the ligament of my inner ankle. This summer I recalled hitting a 2-handed backhand which caused me to roll over on my inner ankle. I actually thought I had sprained it then but was able to finish the set. I never had any swelling so I obviously didn't sprain it but I wonder if I pulled it. Could this be the cause of my PF? Who knows.

I live in the Bethesda, MD area so if anyone want the number of my therapist, let me know. I can't say enough how wonderful he was.

Julie F - He also practices Yoga and has a special interest in Bikram yoga. I never heard of it before but you probably have.

I feel like I am well on my way to recovery. I'm glad I followed the other Denise and Dr. Biehler's advice to wait until you are relatively pain free to undergo this kind of treatment. I'm on my 4th week of complete rest i.e. no IMPACT activity (only swimming or Yoga). Though I must say this afternoon I indulged myself and went on a short bike ride (NO hills). I think ceasing impact activity was key in helping me heel so quickly.

T. Hurst - You said it best - YOU CAN'T HURT IT AND FIX IT AT THE SAME TIME.

Sorry for being so long winded. Just want to share my progress.

Re: Results: Yesterday's Muscle Release Therapy Session

Beverly on 9/24/00 at 15:21 (029055)

Denise,

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Do you know the difference between
muscle release therapy by a nuromuscular therapist vs. deep tissue by a generalist PT? I'd be very interested in understanding the difference.

Keep us posted on how you do. How many treatments are you scheduled to have?
Beverly

Pauline on 9/24/00 at 21:20 (029077)

Sounds similar to the treatment I had with Michael Young. I think
this can really work. Like Denise, my feet and legs felt better.

Julie F on 9/25/00 at 01:52 (029089)

Hi Denise

I'm very glad for you that the neuromuscular treatment was so helpful. Yes, I've heard of Bikram, and I believe he is very popular in the States.

I can't tell from what you say whether you are already into yoga (if you are you can ignore what follows) but if you are just thinking of starting, you really have to choose your class and teacher carefully. There are many different styles, and some of them (e.g. Iyengar Yoga) focus largely on strong standing postures, or on dynamic, aerobic sequences of postures done quickly (e.g. Ashtanga Vinyasa aka 'Power' Yoga), which are exactly what we don't need. A gentler class is what you should look for, and a teacher who is receptive to your problems and is happy for you to be the judge of what you should and shouldn't do (and for you to wear shoes while standing!) Theoretically, all teachers should be like this, but unfortunately not all are.

Although I'm American, I've lived in England for 40 years, and I've no knowledge about yoga teaching on your side of the pond, so I can't make any practical suggestions about where to look.

For anyone going through any sort of illness/crisis/difficult time, yoga is genuinely empowering, because it's something that you do for yourself. Its great benefit isn't so much in the physical stretching (though that is enjoyable, and extremely helpful) but in the sense of increased control over one's life, and in learning to relax and let go. And perhaps even to come to greater acceptance of one's situation: it may not change, but one grows better able to deal with it, through the inner strength and stability that practice builds on all levels.

I also believe (this is well documented) that it is helpful in tolerating pain. The cancer patients whom I teach say it does, and for some it has been a help in tolerating chemotherapy.

So if you haven't already found what you're looking for, I hope you'll find this helpful, and if you have I would be interested to hear of your experience.

All the best, Julie

Julie

Julie on 9/25/00 at 02:07 (029090)

Denise, I'm embarrassed! I posted my message without realizing you are the Denise I had a 'yoga conversation' with the other day. Do forgive (and ignore) me. All the best, Julie

Denise E on 9/25/00 at 05:43 (029092)

Beverly, I plan to try to go every week. At $60/visit it's a dent in the budget.

Beverly on 9/24/00 at 15:21 (029055)

Denise,

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Do you know the difference between
muscle release therapy by a nuromuscular therapist vs. deep tissue by a generalist PT? I'd be very interested in understanding the difference.

Keep us posted on how you do. How many treatments are you scheduled to have?
Beverly

Pauline on 9/24/00 at 21:20 (029077)

Sounds similar to the treatment I had with Michael Young. I think
this can really work. Like Denise, my feet and legs felt better.

Julie F on 9/25/00 at 01:52 (029089)

Hi Denise

I'm very glad for you that the neuromuscular treatment was so helpful. Yes, I've heard of Bikram, and I believe he is very popular in the States.

I can't tell from what you say whether you are already into yoga (if you are you can ignore what follows) but if you are just thinking of starting, you really have to choose your class and teacher carefully. There are many different styles, and some of them (e.g. Iyengar Yoga) focus largely on strong standing postures, or on dynamic, aerobic sequences of postures done quickly (e.g. Ashtanga Vinyasa aka 'Power' Yoga), which are exactly what we don't need. A gentler class is what you should look for, and a teacher who is receptive to your problems and is happy for you to be the judge of what you should and shouldn't do (and for you to wear shoes while standing!) Theoretically, all teachers should be like this, but unfortunately not all are.

Although I'm American, I've lived in England for 40 years, and I've no knowledge about yoga teaching on your side of the pond, so I can't make any practical suggestions about where to look.

For anyone going through any sort of illness/crisis/difficult time, yoga is genuinely empowering, because it's something that you do for yourself. Its great benefit isn't so much in the physical stretching (though that is enjoyable, and extremely helpful) but in the sense of increased control over one's life, and in learning to relax and let go. And perhaps even to come to greater acceptance of one's situation: it may not change, but one grows better able to deal with it, through the inner strength and stability that practice builds on all levels.

I also believe (this is well documented) that it is helpful in tolerating pain. The cancer patients whom I teach say it does, and for some it has been a help in tolerating chemotherapy.

So if you haven't already found what you're looking for, I hope you'll find this helpful, and if you have I would be interested to hear of your experience.

All the best, Julie

Julie

Julie on 9/25/00 at 02:07 (029090)

Denise, I'm embarrassed! I posted my message without realizing you are the Denise I had a 'yoga conversation' with the other day. Do forgive (and ignore) me. All the best, Julie

Denise E on 9/25/00 at 05:43 (029092)

Beverly, I plan to try to go every week. At $60/visit it's a dent in the budget.