Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

eight months after surgery...

Posted by dan l. on 9/24/00 at 18:54 (029066)

i am a male, 35, who decided, a couple of years ago, to undertake an exercise regimen of high-impact step aerobics to lose weight and develop muscle tone. i lost about 25 pounds (i got down to 225, and am 6 feet tall)and started feeling the heel pain, which at first, i ignored.

i then spent a year icing, stretching, wearing inserts and getting injections in both feet . nothing helped. i tried acupuncture, but it was expensive and only a temporary fix.

my pod recommended surgery as a last resort. had right foot done in january 2000, and left ffoot in march 2000.

i know that my weight (i'm now about 260, thanks to almost two years of inactivity) is a contributing factor to the pain i still feel in my feet (across the whole bottom of the foot, as opposed to just the heel area...) and that healing is a slow process. but by now, should things be looking up? it is painful enough to keep me from beginning another exercise regimen. i've tried 30 minute walks, but my feet kill me for a few days afterward. some days are better than others.....

i know some may recommend swimming as low impact exercise, but that is not an option due to where i live. i feel my weight has contributed to a mild depression, and i would love to lose about 50 pounds. i really miss the activity.

any ideas? is there a good workout that doesn't involove being on your feet? should my pain be gone 8 months post -surgery??? thanks in advance for any help.

Re: eight months after surgery...

Dr. Biehler on 9/24/00 at 19:52 (029067)

A lot has to do with what type of surgery you had done. The plantar fascia has a lot to do with stabilizing the foot. If this has been reduced you have to keep this in mind when you now think about exercises that put extra strain on the foot. You are going to have to look at the low impact exercises, ie. ski machine, elliptical treadmill that type. Weight loss is that great twentfirst century secrect. The lastest I have heard, it has to do simply with calorie intake verses calories used. Sounds simple but hard to do. If the pain does not go away you might want to start looking into the ESWT treatment. You can find lots of information on in on these boards.

Re: test

scott r on 9/24/00 at 20:29 (029072)

etst

Scott R on 9/24/00 at 20:31 (029073)

test

Re: eight months after surgery...

Dr. Biehler on 9/24/00 at 19:52 (029067)

A lot has to do with what type of surgery you had done. The plantar fascia has a lot to do with stabilizing the foot. If this has been reduced you have to keep this in mind when you now think about exercises that put extra strain on the foot. You are going to have to look at the low impact exercises, ie. ski machine, elliptical treadmill that type. Weight loss is that great twentfirst century secrect. The lastest I have heard, it has to do simply with calorie intake verses calories used. Sounds simple but hard to do. If the pain does not go away you might want to start looking into the ESWT treatment. You can find lots of information on in on these boards.

scott r on 9/24/00 at 20:29 (029072)

etst

Scott R on 9/24/00 at 20:31 (029073)

test