Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

AEROBIC EXERCISE

Posted by JUDY B on 9/25/00 at 09:03 (029098)

Does anynone know of a good aerobic exercise program that can be done at home without being on your feet? Getting out of shape fast and gaining weight like crazy!!

Re: AEROBIC EXERCISE

Julie F on 9/25/00 at 13:05 (029110)

Hi Judy

I was going to try to describe some yoga exercises for you that are aerobic, but it's not easy to do that without - at the very least - illustrations. Can I suggest that you go to http://www.amazon.com and order a copy of a book called 'Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha' by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. The chapter on Shakti Bandha exercises will give you a whole range of aerobic practices, most of which are done sitting on the floor. If you cannot sit comfortably on the floor, you can adapt them to a chair (but be careful to place your feet forward of your knees with the exercises that involve forward bending, so that you don't overbalance).

I've checked the Amazon site and they have it for $25. It's an excellent book, which I've known for years and use all the time - it has a great deal more than you want, but I think you would find it worth while for what you do want. It's awful not being able to do aerobic exercise if you are used to it.

Also I've seen various postings on this site recommending exercise bikes - would that be suitable for you?

Good luck, Julie

Julie on 9/25/00 at 13:20 (029111)

PS Judy, if you decide to get the book, the first four exercises in the chapter I mentioned will be the best to start with - pulling the rope, dynamic twist, churning the mill and rowing the boat.

Nancy S. on 9/25/00 at 21:26 (029151)

Judy B., before I go back to swimming, I've been doing this thing that someone posted about a few weeks ago. I think he described it as clawing toward the ceiling or something like that. Anyway, I lie on the floor on my back and bicycle in the air with my legs while clawing toward the ceiling with my arms. It's very aerobic if you can keep it up.
Just don't let the animal control officer see you.
Nancy

judy b on 9/26/00 at 08:14 (029163)

Thanks Nancy! Sounds good.....I think I'll do it when nobody can see me, not just the animal control officer!!!!

Nancy S. on 9/26/00 at 09:30 (029170)

You're welcome, Judy B., and good luck. My cats think I'm nuts, but the feeling is mutual, so I don't worry about their opinion!
Nancy

jan on 9/27/00 at 11:25 (029250)

But be careful....it can easily strain your lower back. I did this for a couple days in a row for about 20 minutes each day and noticed my back was killing me. The back pain took about 2 weeks to settle down but only after stopping the excercise. ....back to the pool. They sell float belts to help you 'run' in a pool.
It helps for cardio but they say if you're in water your not burning fat. Don't know if that's true or not.

Bob Ray on 10/01/00 at 16:00 (029558)

I am the one that suggested it. It wasn't 'clawing', but crawling. But either one will do. I do it in the nude to allow more freedom of movement. Scars the hell out of the cats.

Nancy S. on 10/01/00 at 16:30 (029562)

Well darn it, Bob Ray, I was enjoying the 'clawing' part. I've done enough 'crawling' in my life. But since you say either will do, I'll try to put the crawling out of my mind.
Nancy

Bob Ray on 10/02/00 at 15:31 (029610)

I have 3 different excercises to get my heart rate up without putting weight on my feet. The crawling stretches the tarsal tunnel area, which I think is long term good, but it hurts short term.
The jack knife is the most aeorbic and best for the abdominals. The pedaling is the least aerobic , but best for the thighs. If you can think of some other excercises on the back, let me know. These three sure are boring.

Julie F on 9/25/00 at 13:05 (029110)

Hi Judy

I was going to try to describe some yoga exercises for you that are aerobic, but it's not easy to do that without - at the very least - illustrations. Can I suggest that you go to http://www.amazon.com and order a copy of a book called 'Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha' by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. The chapter on Shakti Bandha exercises will give you a whole range of aerobic practices, most of which are done sitting on the floor. If you cannot sit comfortably on the floor, you can adapt them to a chair (but be careful to place your feet forward of your knees with the exercises that involve forward bending, so that you don't overbalance).

I've checked the Amazon site and they have it for $25. It's an excellent book, which I've known for years and use all the time - it has a great deal more than you want, but I think you would find it worth while for what you do want. It's awful not being able to do aerobic exercise if you are used to it.

Also I've seen various postings on this site recommending exercise bikes - would that be suitable for you?

Good luck, Julie

Julie on 9/25/00 at 13:20 (029111)

PS Judy, if you decide to get the book, the first four exercises in the chapter I mentioned will be the best to start with - pulling the rope, dynamic twist, churning the mill and rowing the boat.

Nancy S. on 9/25/00 at 21:26 (029151)

Judy B., before I go back to swimming, I've been doing this thing that someone posted about a few weeks ago. I think he described it as clawing toward the ceiling or something like that. Anyway, I lie on the floor on my back and bicycle in the air with my legs while clawing toward the ceiling with my arms. It's very aerobic if you can keep it up.
Just don't let the animal control officer see you.
Nancy

judy b on 9/26/00 at 08:14 (029163)

Thanks Nancy! Sounds good.....I think I'll do it when nobody can see me, not just the animal control officer!!!!

Nancy S. on 9/26/00 at 09:30 (029170)

You're welcome, Judy B., and good luck. My cats think I'm nuts, but the feeling is mutual, so I don't worry about their opinion!
Nancy

jan on 9/27/00 at 11:25 (029250)

But be careful....it can easily strain your lower back. I did this for a couple days in a row for about 20 minutes each day and noticed my back was killing me. The back pain took about 2 weeks to settle down but only after stopping the excercise. ....back to the pool. They sell float belts to help you 'run' in a pool.
It helps for cardio but they say if you're in water your not burning fat. Don't know if that's true or not.

Bob Ray on 10/01/00 at 16:00 (029558)

I am the one that suggested it. It wasn't 'clawing', but crawling. But either one will do. I do it in the nude to allow more freedom of movement. Scars the hell out of the cats.

Nancy S. on 10/01/00 at 16:30 (029562)

Well darn it, Bob Ray, I was enjoying the 'clawing' part. I've done enough 'crawling' in my life. But since you say either will do, I'll try to put the crawling out of my mind.
Nancy

Bob Ray on 10/02/00 at 15:31 (029610)

I have 3 different excercises to get my heart rate up without putting weight on my feet. The crawling stretches the tarsal tunnel area, which I think is long term good, but it hurts short term.
The jack knife is the most aeorbic and best for the abdominals. The pedaling is the least aerobic , but best for the thighs. If you can think of some other excercises on the back, let me know. These three sure are boring.