Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cortisone injections

Posted by Tina F. on 9/25/00 at 13:32 (029112)

I am so thankful that a concerned friend gave me this website~it truly is a blessing. I started with symptoms of PF in May. It started off mild then when I jumped off of a balance beam (on a physical fitness course with my boys) the pain came with a vengence. I finally went to the Pod. Last Monday and he gave me cortisone injections in each heel and thankfully, I do have significant relief. I am able to arise in the morning without shooting pain that sends me to my knees. He wants me back in 2 weeks for another possible series and then in another 2 weeks for a final session of injections, if needed. After reading your posts, I am beginning to worry and feel this may be too excessive. I cannot seem to find enough info. on cortisone. I love to walk/jog and exercise is a very important aspect of my life. Please let me know, in your valued opinions, if I may be making a mistake with all of the injections. Am I tempting fate by walking/jogging again because my symptoms are so minimal for the time being? Sorry this is so long and I thank you for any advice.

Re: cortisone injections

SandyS on 9/26/00 at 05:51 (029158)

Yesterday I had my second injection and I have been worried about getting them after reading stuff on this site. I was hoping to get only one injection (spur in my left foot only) and it would be over but the pain never really eased so yesterday I went for my second. My next appointment is in 2 weeks and if there is still no relief I will get a third and final injection. I have heard that the injections heal temporarily but this relief can sometimes be for years. My podiatrist told me to take it easy this week but I am planning on doing a little hiking this weekend, although on easier terrain. My best advice to you is ice! I try and ice at least twice a day and especially after any kind of walking. If you are free of pain why should you get more injections? If the pain is gone how long do you continue to ice and stretch? I have only added more questions but I am sort of in the same boat with these injections.

Tina on 9/26/00 at 08:09 (029162)

Thanks Sandy for your input. I think I will definately keep the appt., but if my pain remains minimal, I will hold off on the injections. Is there a specific device for icing the heel, or do you just use an icebag? My Pod. also did not suggest stretching; I read about it on this website. I think I will now always stretch my calve area each am and pm regardless of pain, for if fortunate enough for it to diminish, I never want to deal with this again! Good luck with the hiking; I hope the pain does not limit the quality of your hike.

alan k on 9/26/00 at 08:28 (029165)

I would take it easy if I were you. I lost my favorite activity for about a year because I didn't know anything about pf and stayed active through the initial onset period. I still have to avoid some things (I practice a vigorous yoga style which some of the american practitioners call, predictably, 'Power Yoga'-- yuk). If you really love your activities, bite the bullet and sacrifice a few weeks to getting better. Substitute the activities with pf-preventing/treating activities like stretching and self-massage, non-weightbearing exercise, icing wehn sore and hot foot baths before activity, etc. I realize they are not as much fun, but some of us get attached to them and start to like our self-care routines after a while.

don't take any chances,

alan k

wendyn on 9/26/00 at 10:09 (029172)

Sanday - be very careful. You are getting a lot of shots in a short period of time. There is an increased risk of rupturing the tendon in your foot. If you do that - you won't be hiking for a very long time, you won't be doing much of anything.

Dr. Biehler on 9/26/00 at 19:09 (029212)

I use cortizone shots and if a series of three are called for I use a water soluable steroid. I do not give the second shot if there is no relief from the first.

SandyS on 9/26/00 at 05:51 (029158)

Yesterday I had my second injection and I have been worried about getting them after reading stuff on this site. I was hoping to get only one injection (spur in my left foot only) and it would be over but the pain never really eased so yesterday I went for my second. My next appointment is in 2 weeks and if there is still no relief I will get a third and final injection. I have heard that the injections heal temporarily but this relief can sometimes be for years. My podiatrist told me to take it easy this week but I am planning on doing a little hiking this weekend, although on easier terrain. My best advice to you is ice! I try and ice at least twice a day and especially after any kind of walking. If you are free of pain why should you get more injections? If the pain is gone how long do you continue to ice and stretch? I have only added more questions but I am sort of in the same boat with these injections.

Tina on 9/26/00 at 08:09 (029162)

Thanks Sandy for your input. I think I will definately keep the appt., but if my pain remains minimal, I will hold off on the injections. Is there a specific device for icing the heel, or do you just use an icebag? My Pod. also did not suggest stretching; I read about it on this website. I think I will now always stretch my calve area each am and pm regardless of pain, for if fortunate enough for it to diminish, I never want to deal with this again! Good luck with the hiking; I hope the pain does not limit the quality of your hike.

alan k on 9/26/00 at 08:28 (029165)

I would take it easy if I were you. I lost my favorite activity for about a year because I didn't know anything about pf and stayed active through the initial onset period. I still have to avoid some things (I practice a vigorous yoga style which some of the american practitioners call, predictably, 'Power Yoga'-- yuk). If you really love your activities, bite the bullet and sacrifice a few weeks to getting better. Substitute the activities with pf-preventing/treating activities like stretching and self-massage, non-weightbearing exercise, icing wehn sore and hot foot baths before activity, etc. I realize they are not as much fun, but some of us get attached to them and start to like our self-care routines after a while.

don't take any chances,

alan k

wendyn on 9/26/00 at 10:09 (029172)

Sanday - be very careful. You are getting a lot of shots in a short period of time. There is an increased risk of rupturing the tendon in your foot. If you do that - you won't be hiking for a very long time, you won't be doing much of anything.

Dr. Biehler on 9/26/00 at 19:09 (029212)

I use cortizone shots and if a series of three are called for I use a water soluable steroid. I do not give the second shot if there is no relief from the first.