Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Answers from those who have had Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy

Posted by Marie on 9/25/00 at 16:08 (029122)

I have had this procedure performed on both of my feet. My first one on 8/29 and my second on 9/15. It is 9/26 and I am still unable to walk or stand. I go to the Doctor's tomorrow and will be crawling into the office with kneepads on since this is my only method of getting around.

My worse foot which was the first surgery is now numb most of the time and when I try to stand on it, my leg gives out because it's like my foot is not even there. I have been on 3 different types of pain medicine which usually lets me sleep for 1 hr only to wake up to the pain all over again.

For those of you who have had EPF surgery, what type of recovery info did your doctor give you as to how long with no weight, etc.. and were you put into a walking cast?? If so, did it help?

I know now that my Orthopedic jumped the gun on performing these surgeries so close together. I am hoping that he will do something for me so that I can be a normal person again. Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Answers from those who have had Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/25/00 at 19:19 (029145)

I would get you either into Physical Therapy and or Chiropractic care

Nancy M on 9/25/00 at 21:48 (029152)

Marie, after trying all the usual stuff to get my PF under control (shots, anit-inflammatories, PT, orthotics, taping, etc.) in September 1998 I decided to have EPF 1/3 release surgery on my left foot. After surgery I was in a hard cast up to my knee on crutches with no weight for one week. Stitches out in one week and then wearing tennis shoes.

March 1999 EPF 1/3 release on my right foot. I was in a cam/walking boot after surgery and able to walk the same day. Stitches out in one week and in the cam/walking boot for about another 6 weeks and then tennis shoes. I asked my doctor why the difference - he changed his procedure.

Same Podiatrist did both surgeries and I've have had no porblems since the surgeries. Don't know if this has helped, but thought I would put in my two cents.

Best of luck.

Nancy M in AZ

T. Hurst on 9/26/00 at 19:49 (029216)

I had epf on both feet at same time on 26 July 2000. I was forced to walk immediately (can still remember gimping down hall with IV attached to bathroom right after surgery!). It was tender, but not overly painful. I was in boots up to my knees for 10 days until the stitches came out and then into tennis shoes with my orthodics. It took me about a week to walk comfortably in the boots. I'm sorry for the problems you are having. It might be worth a shot to see another doctor that specializes in epf to see what's going on. Second opinions really do help & will ultimately get you better care.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/26/00 at 22:08 (029228)

High top boot is a very good start to support the feet and ankle. You can have great results with EPF surgery but you need to jump right on this problem and wait. Pain and walking in pain will cause more problems in the lower extremity. So get to work on this.

bjc on 9/27/00 at 15:43 (029265)

Sorry for your pain. I had epf in Jan 2000. Walked in a surgical boot for 1st 10 days (only allowed up 5 min at a time), then into a tennis shoe with orthotics, progressing with time on my feet. Did not need any pain killers after surgery. My recovery continues to progress even now, but I have resumed all activities. I am very glad to have had the surgery, and have an excellent relationship with my pod.

Rose on 10/10/00 at 12:41 (030175)

Hi Nancy,
Your message was encouraging. I am scheduled to have PF and heel spur surgery next week. Could you tell me if your doctor removed the nerve in your heel as well? That is what a second opinion is suggesting. Your recovery also seems very positive than most messages posted which I am glad to hear. This doctor does not give crutches either. He believes in getting patients walking the same day. After reading some of these messages, I am wondering..... Would appreciate anything you can tell me. Thanks. Rose

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/25/00 at 19:19 (029145)

I would get you either into Physical Therapy and or Chiropractic care

Nancy M on 9/25/00 at 21:48 (029152)

Marie, after trying all the usual stuff to get my PF under control (shots, anit-inflammatories, PT, orthotics, taping, etc.) in September 1998 I decided to have EPF 1/3 release surgery on my left foot. After surgery I was in a hard cast up to my knee on crutches with no weight for one week. Stitches out in one week and then wearing tennis shoes.

March 1999 EPF 1/3 release on my right foot. I was in a cam/walking boot after surgery and able to walk the same day. Stitches out in one week and in the cam/walking boot for about another 6 weeks and then tennis shoes. I asked my doctor why the difference - he changed his procedure.

Same Podiatrist did both surgeries and I've have had no porblems since the surgeries. Don't know if this has helped, but thought I would put in my two cents.

Best of luck.

Nancy M in AZ

T. Hurst on 9/26/00 at 19:49 (029216)

I had epf on both feet at same time on 26 July 2000. I was forced to walk immediately (can still remember gimping down hall with IV attached to bathroom right after surgery!). It was tender, but not overly painful. I was in boots up to my knees for 10 days until the stitches came out and then into tennis shoes with my orthodics. It took me about a week to walk comfortably in the boots. I'm sorry for the problems you are having. It might be worth a shot to see another doctor that specializes in epf to see what's going on. Second opinions really do help & will ultimately get you better care.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/26/00 at 22:08 (029228)

High top boot is a very good start to support the feet and ankle. You can have great results with EPF surgery but you need to jump right on this problem and wait. Pain and walking in pain will cause more problems in the lower extremity. So get to work on this.

bjc on 9/27/00 at 15:43 (029265)

Sorry for your pain. I had epf in Jan 2000. Walked in a surgical boot for 1st 10 days (only allowed up 5 min at a time), then into a tennis shoe with orthotics, progressing with time on my feet. Did not need any pain killers after surgery. My recovery continues to progress even now, but I have resumed all activities. I am very glad to have had the surgery, and have an excellent relationship with my pod.

Rose on 10/10/00 at 12:41 (030175)

Hi Nancy,
Your message was encouraging. I am scheduled to have PF and heel spur surgery next week. Could you tell me if your doctor removed the nerve in your heel as well? That is what a second opinion is suggesting. Your recovery also seems very positive than most messages posted which I am glad to hear. This doctor does not give crutches either. He believes in getting patients walking the same day. After reading some of these messages, I am wondering..... Would appreciate anything you can tell me. Thanks. Rose