Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Validation of connection to back and foot problems - in my opinion

Posted by YvonneC on 9/26/00 at 12:50 (029182)

My PF is acting up pretty bad these last 3 weeks and the reason being, I had surgery on August 10th for a medical condition not related to my back or feet, but I was unable to walk, stretch or use my PFT. As a result from more or less sitting all the time, my back has been giving me trouble, I had herniated a disk (which was affecting my sciatic nerve) last year and had a lumbar distectomy done in Dec 1999 and was feeling great for about 9 months since (I even did the Revlon Run/Walk in May with no problems).

But I am in agony now, I've started using my PFT again and trying to walk as much as possible, I do stretching exercises for my back (which haven't helped much yet) I can not take any medication at the moment as I have to have more surgery on Friday. I bought my winter shoes over the weekend and one pair in particular really affected my back (they need to be returned) and they were orthodic (sp?) ones....

Re: Validation of connection to back and foot problems - in my opinion

Bea K on 9/27/00 at 18:25 (029273)

Just my opinion, however why did you enter a run/walk when you know you have a foot and a back problem. If you check back into all the messages you will see many such examples and people who were doing better and then ran, walked, climbed up a mountain or some such thing and had a set back. I'm sorry to tell you but you have a weakness and should treat it as such and not subject yourself to heavy straining, I think you are asking for trouble.

YvonneC on 9/27/00 at 19:13 (029277)

Bea, I understand what you are saying and as a PF sufferer for 5+ yrs,I am well aware of the reacurrance of this problem. But I was pain free for nearly nine months and I didn't run I walked and never felt better afterwards. That was in May so I don't think the walk had anything to do with it. As I mentioned I had surgery in August and as a result was not able to walk, stretch or do much of anything really. I really feel that the lack of exercise and wearing the wrong (NEW) shoes have resulted in a flare up of my back and foot problems.

But your right no matter how long we are pain free, as a sufferer I need to be more aware that it can flare up again.

Bea K on 9/28/00 at 14:29 (029344)

I think I sounded too harsh and am sorry that you are having troubles again. I mentioned it only to warn everyone to be very careful of their feet and treat them tenderly when they are doing well so as not to reinjure.

YvonneC on 9/28/00 at 14:34 (029345)

Bea, I didn't take it as been harsh. That's the problem with writing peoples sentiments are very conveyed properly. I am happy to report that I am doing much better today since I started back on my stretching and icing program. Take care.

Bea K on 9/27/00 at 18:25 (029273)

Just my opinion, however why did you enter a run/walk when you know you have a foot and a back problem. If you check back into all the messages you will see many such examples and people who were doing better and then ran, walked, climbed up a mountain or some such thing and had a set back. I'm sorry to tell you but you have a weakness and should treat it as such and not subject yourself to heavy straining, I think you are asking for trouble.

YvonneC on 9/27/00 at 19:13 (029277)

Bea, I understand what you are saying and as a PF sufferer for 5+ yrs,I am well aware of the reacurrance of this problem. But I was pain free for nearly nine months and I didn't run I walked and never felt better afterwards. That was in May so I don't think the walk had anything to do with it. As I mentioned I had surgery in August and as a result was not able to walk, stretch or do much of anything really. I really feel that the lack of exercise and wearing the wrong (NEW) shoes have resulted in a flare up of my back and foot problems.

But your right no matter how long we are pain free, as a sufferer I need to be more aware that it can flare up again.

Bea K on 9/28/00 at 14:29 (029344)

I think I sounded too harsh and am sorry that you are having troubles again. I mentioned it only to warn everyone to be very careful of their feet and treat them tenderly when they are doing well so as not to reinjure.

YvonneC on 9/28/00 at 14:34 (029345)

Bea, I didn't take it as been harsh. That's the problem with writing peoples sentiments are very conveyed properly. I am happy to report that I am doing much better today since I started back on my stretching and icing program. Take care.