Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Seen by P.A. instead of doctor today. What kind of training does P.A. have?

Posted by Beverly on 9/26/00 at 13:05 (029184)

Today I thought I was going to see my orthopedic surgeon and instead I saw his P.A. This is the second time this has happened. I did not know he was not one of the doctors until I asked.

When all I need is a renewel on my physical therapy script I don't mind so much but today I went in with a slight ankle swelling and ankle pain. The P.A. said it was a very minor case of tendonitis (post tibial... in the inner ankle). He said it is not bad enough to need an aircast. I just need to stay off it as much as possible and ice it regularly. He also suggested I increase my Vioxx from 12.5 mg. to 25 mg.

So, what kind of training does a P.A. have that a nurse doesn't? Next time, I am going to specifically ask for the doctor. I did not know that P.A.'s are allowed to make a diagnosis?

By the way, the tendonistis came on because about two weeks ago, I was feeling much better and I just did too much. I gave my left foot a bad setback and now I have the ankle pain/swelling. I do agree that the swelling is minimal.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Seen by P.A. instead of doctor today. What kind of training does P.A. have?

Dr. Biehler on 9/26/00 at 13:20 (029187)

I would also recomend an ace bandage. Most PA spend two years in the PA program after two years of collage and then get their degree. There are other programs that offer a PA masters degree. After they are PAs they can go on and recieve futher training depending on there interests. On paper the job discription can sometimes look a lot like a certified nurse. I have worked with PA and have found them to be extremely well trained and knowledgeable and have no reservations about working with or recomending them.

Re: Seen by P.A. instead of doctor today. What kind of training does P.A. have?

Dr. Biehler on 9/26/00 at 13:20 (029187)

I would also recomend an ace bandage. Most PA spend two years in the PA program after two years of collage and then get their degree. There are other programs that offer a PA masters degree. After they are PAs they can go on and recieve futher training depending on there interests. On paper the job discription can sometimes look a lot like a certified nurse. I have worked with PA and have found them to be extremely well trained and knowledgeable and have no reservations about working with or recomending them.