Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Oh goodie. Now I have a slight case of tendonitis!

Posted by Beverly on 9/26/00 at 13:14 (029185)

I truly wish I had learned by Nancy's example. Remember a week or two ago, I said I was feeling better? Then I was on my feet too much and I had a PF setback? The last few days, I have also noticed just the slightest touch of ankle swelling.

I went in to see my sports medicine doctor today. I didn't get to see him and instead was given to his P.A. (Second time that's happened.)
The P.A. said it is just a slight case or beginning of tendonitis (post tibial/inner ankle area). It's not bad enough to need an aircast. (Thank God). I was told to ice it more often, stay off it as much as possible and try increasing my Vioxx from 12.5 to 25 mg.

I just hope he's right. I agree the swelling is minimal looking but it does hurt. (But not as much as my foot.) Next time I am going to specifically ask for the doctor. Over on the ask the doctor board, I've asked our docs to tell me what a P.A. is. How is their training more extensive than say a nurse. He seemed very knowledgable. Had a wonderful personality. It was not until I asked that I discovered he was not one of the doctors. I just would have felt better being seen by the doctor.

There I sat in the waiting room with people in wheelchairs, casts, on crutches, post surgery. I guess compared to all that, my PF is relegated to a less important catagory.

Got to go. In an effort to stay off my foot, I'm going to have to decrease my computer time this week.
Beverly

Re: Oh goodie. Now I have a slight case of tendonitis!

john h on 9/26/00 at 15:22 (029197)

beverly: for the ankle swelling i highly recommend support stockings! they work and are cheap! i would also suggest to anyone to try support stockings for a week. if you have interior vericose veins which might be pressing on a nerve they will hold down the swelling of the vein and you might accidently figure out where some pain might be coming from. $5-$6 what have you got to lose. my wife calls me a 'sissy' when she sees me put them on (calf high) so i put my regular socks on over them.

Nancy S. on 9/26/00 at 16:57 (029204)

Oh goodie is right. Sorry to hear this, Beverly! The diagnosis sounds right to me -- pain and swelling around the inner ankle is the posterior tibial area.
It sounds like you were told basically what I was told -- rest it, ice it a lot, take your anti-inflams. Also, be sure that treatment for this problem is added to your PT script.
You might want to ask your dr. or your PT when to start exercising and stretching it. Rest is essential, but so is not letting the tendonitis go on without any movement. I started out very conservatively with the Acu-Flex, and as you know I'm making a lot of progress with it. So be sure to ask your dr./PT exactly what kind of exercise or stretching to treat this tendon with and when to start.
Good luck -- I'd say Welcome to the Club, but I'm sure you're not pleased to be here . . . but sounds like you're catching it early, so I assume you won't end up where I did: 'The worst case I've seen in a long, long time' (Dr. Bouchard).
Take care,
Nancy

john h on 9/26/00 at 15:22 (029197)

beverly: for the ankle swelling i highly recommend support stockings! they work and are cheap! i would also suggest to anyone to try support stockings for a week. if you have interior vericose veins which might be pressing on a nerve they will hold down the swelling of the vein and you might accidently figure out where some pain might be coming from. $5-$6 what have you got to lose. my wife calls me a 'sissy' when she sees me put them on (calf high) so i put my regular socks on over them.

Nancy S. on 9/26/00 at 16:57 (029204)

Oh goodie is right. Sorry to hear this, Beverly! The diagnosis sounds right to me -- pain and swelling around the inner ankle is the posterior tibial area.
It sounds like you were told basically what I was told -- rest it, ice it a lot, take your anti-inflams. Also, be sure that treatment for this problem is added to your PT script.
You might want to ask your dr. or your PT when to start exercising and stretching it. Rest is essential, but so is not letting the tendonitis go on without any movement. I started out very conservatively with the Acu-Flex, and as you know I'm making a lot of progress with it. So be sure to ask your dr./PT exactly what kind of exercise or stretching to treat this tendon with and when to start.
Good luck -- I'd say Welcome to the Club, but I'm sure you're not pleased to be here . . . but sounds like you're catching it early, so I assume you won't end up where I did: 'The worst case I've seen in a long, long time' (Dr. Bouchard).
Take care,
Nancy