Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

physical therapy

Posted by Ken A on 9/26/00 at 19:03 (029211)

My podiatrist wants me to go to physical therapy, but I dunno. (6 yrs pf/heelspur sufferer.) I'm doing better now -no more crawling, and almost ready to lose the last crutch. I'm talking about around the house...I'm not ready for the real world yet. I don't want anyone to do anything to my feet that will cause me to regress. Does anyone regret going to pt? I know know it's supposed to be a good thing to do, but I don't want to be in pain like I was a week or two ago. Is there anything in pt that I should try to avoid?

I know I need to get into a good stretching routine, but I think I'm waiting until the memory of this recent pf pain begins to fade a bit. :-)

Re: physical therapy

Barb-NY on 9/26/00 at 19:45 (029215)

Hi,

Im a relative newbie compared to you (only have it for 7 months) but PT has been my lifesaver. I am FINALLY on the road to recovery. I'm just doing stretching and strengthening routines in PT, no massage or any direct contact with my feet. He's concentrating on my hips, hamstrings, knees, calves and achilles. I've only been there 4 times and already I can walk and stand longer than at any time since getting this wonderful condition. My arches are almost totally painfree and my achilles tendonitis is 80% better. The only real pain I have now is charley horse from all the exercises I 'm doing...but it's a great feeling pain.

I would advice anyone to try PT.

Beverly on 9/26/00 at 20:07 (029220)

I have been in PT for several months. I wish I had gotten into and stayed with PT early in my PF. I think if I had, I wouldn't be here now.

PT has been very helpful for me, and I have a hard to beat case of this in both feet. I did shop around for a PT clinic that took PF seriously.
At least where I live, there is a PT clinic on every corner, and they are not all the same. I asked my sports medicine doctor who he liked best.

I have gotten ultrasound, ionpheresis, massage, and stretching.
What has helped me the most has been having a professional supervise my stretching.

Best of luck,
Beverly

Ken A on 9/26/00 at 20:22 (029223)

Hi Barb,

I'm glad PT is working for you and you are on you way to recovery. If you were like me there was a time that you wondered if you were EVER going to get better, even a little! I reached that point after about two weeks or so. Fortunately about a week later I started seeing signs of progress. At this point I kind of like the 'no massage or any direct contact with my feet' thing, but then I likely have been psychologically scarred from this recent pf episode. :-)

When I was diagnosed with pf, my podiatrist tried taping, cortisone, and also hard orthotics, but never mentioned stretching or pt. I'm only now learning about stretching, from this board. I keep thinking of all the times over recent years that stretching may have helped, but I never even considered it as an option because my doc never mentioned it. I know I would benefit from stretching, and I don't just mean my feet and calves. I think I'll at least call the pt and see what see wants to do. Thanks!

Steve P on 9/26/00 at 20:24 (029224)

Ken -- I would go to PT for at least a month or two & see if it's helping you. A knowledgable therapist can help you with your home program too.
I assume you have discussed other aspects of treatment with your dr. or therapist (such as: NSAID medication, icing, self-massage, possible use of nightsplint/orthotics, etc.) PT is only one part of an overall treatment program.

good luck..........Steve

Ken A on 9/26/00 at 20:34 (029226)

Hello Beverly,

That sounds like good advice. I should suck it up and just go. Hey, I can always leave, right? :-) I hope I get a good pt right away. What's ionpheresis?

Ken A on 9/26/00 at 21:03 (029227)

Steve,

I'm going to try therapy. You guys talked me into it. I think the doc said 3 times a week for 3 weeks. Thanks for the help.

Beverly on 9/26/00 at 23:30 (029235)

Ken,

I have a long way to go before I can say I'm on the road to recovery, but I will say that PT has given me more hope for it than anything else I've tried (besides rest). I have weeks when I seem to be getting better and then weeks with setbacks. I'm in one now. My setbacks usually are related to trying to resume a 'normal' life too soon.

Ionphresis is a topical cortizone that is applied with something that looks similiar to an electric stimulator. It does not have the punch that a cortizone shot will have but it also does not carry the rupture risk (since it only goes on topically). It is contraversial. Some insurance will pay for it. Some won't. I did it for about six weeks. I think it helped a little. I started having a reaction to it (became increasingly painful) and we had to discontinue.

My pod did not encourage stretching either. In fact, he forbade me from stretching. I wish I had not listened to him and had found my orthopedic surgeon sooner. Both orthopedic guys I saw said stretching was essential to recovery. I was very sensitive to stretching and had to ease into it slowly. I don't think I would have had to confidence to keep doing it without my PT's supervision. She kept adjusting my program until we found something that helped but did not hurt.

Best of luck,
Beverly

Ken A on 9/27/00 at 17:16 (029270)

Hi Beverly,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a setback and I sure hope you find a way to get it under control soon. Hang in there! I wish I could suggest something that would help, but I'm only learning about treatment now, from this site. And I'm sure you have tried things that I haven't gotten around to yet.

Having to deal with pf and wearing these darn hard orthotics for years has been a pain for me. I guess I adopted somewhat of a 'why me?' attitude. Little did I know how good I really had it. Yes there were a couple of times that I had to crawl around on my hands and knees, but given that there were only a couple in a 6 year period, I would have to say I've had it easy. Most 'normal' days I just had some pain at the insertion point. Sometimes arch pain. Some days I had no pain. And what pain I did have, now seems like a mere inconvenience. I now have fond memories of days I used to curse. :-) My recent killer bout, your ongoing battle, and other's experiences on this board have made me realize how bad this thing can be. Just last week I was seriously wondering if I was ever going to walk more than a few steps again. It's a scary thing to think about. In the past I always recovered quickly, as in days. But then, as now, I was always able to stay off my feet when needed. Actually, I did have one job that I had to quit because of pain. I guess only time will tell whether or not I am going to have a 'full' recovery. I feel like I'm making good progress. I truly hope that you are able to get back to 'normal' soon.

Last night while sitting at the computer, my left foot started to hurt, especially in the arch. It still hurts today. I was sitting in a office type chair, but using an ottoman to rest my feet. I haven't been able to rest my feet on the floor for the last several weeks because it caused an increase in pain and tingling. Apparently the position I was sitting in last night (using the ottoman) aggravated my condition. I don't know why unless I was somehow unknowingly continually stressing/stretching things in my legs and feet. I'm wondering if you could be in a similar situation. I only have one chair in the house in which I can comfortably rest my feet (and is kind to my back). I guess I need to try to find another one to use while at the keyboard. So for now I have to spend less time at the computer and more time in my favorite chair in the living room. Maybe I'll catch Olympic fever! The way my foot feels now, I'm back to not wanting to go to a therapist, but I guess I need to give it a try.

Good luck,
Ken

Beverly on 9/27/00 at 19:39 (029280)

Ken,

When my feet are bothering me alot, sitting at the computer bothers me too. On better days, the computer does not bother me.

I sit with a foot rest under my feet. I have an erodynamic kind that slides back and forth. I have just recently started stretching my feet a bit before I get up the computer. I've heard other people mention rolling a tennis ball under their feet before getting up from the computer. I keep a tennis ball in the living room by my recliner and use it while I watch TV. I should probably put another one by the computer.

If you have gotten better before, there is every reason to believe you will get better again. I take comfort in remember that I have ups and downs with this. I plan to use better sense next time I have an 'up' day. It doesn't take much for me to have a setback.

If you are like me and do most of your work sitting down, that gives you a head start towards getting better. I think the teachers and others who have to be on their feet all day have a much harder time getting into recovery.

In the six months on this board, I have met some wonderful people. When I get really blue, I remember that most of the people here who have had this for over a year and have been treating it for at least that long, report being better than they were in the beginning. Some like Bob are in pain-free recovery most of the time.

Best of luck,
Beverly

Barb-NY on 9/26/00 at 19:45 (029215)

Hi,

Im a relative newbie compared to you (only have it for 7 months) but PT has been my lifesaver. I am FINALLY on the road to recovery. I'm just doing stretching and strengthening routines in PT, no massage or any direct contact with my feet. He's concentrating on my hips, hamstrings, knees, calves and achilles. I've only been there 4 times and already I can walk and stand longer than at any time since getting this wonderful condition. My arches are almost totally painfree and my achilles tendonitis is 80% better. The only real pain I have now is charley horse from all the exercises I 'm doing...but it's a great feeling pain.

I would advice anyone to try PT.

Beverly on 9/26/00 at 20:07 (029220)

I have been in PT for several months. I wish I had gotten into and stayed with PT early in my PF. I think if I had, I wouldn't be here now.

PT has been very helpful for me, and I have a hard to beat case of this in both feet. I did shop around for a PT clinic that took PF seriously.
At least where I live, there is a PT clinic on every corner, and they are not all the same. I asked my sports medicine doctor who he liked best.

I have gotten ultrasound, ionpheresis, massage, and stretching.
What has helped me the most has been having a professional supervise my stretching.

Best of luck,
Beverly

Ken A on 9/26/00 at 20:22 (029223)

Hi Barb,

I'm glad PT is working for you and you are on you way to recovery. If you were like me there was a time that you wondered if you were EVER going to get better, even a little! I reached that point after about two weeks or so. Fortunately about a week later I started seeing signs of progress. At this point I kind of like the 'no massage or any direct contact with my feet' thing, but then I likely have been psychologically scarred from this recent pf episode. :-)

When I was diagnosed with pf, my podiatrist tried taping, cortisone, and also hard orthotics, but never mentioned stretching or pt. I'm only now learning about stretching, from this board. I keep thinking of all the times over recent years that stretching may have helped, but I never even considered it as an option because my doc never mentioned it. I know I would benefit from stretching, and I don't just mean my feet and calves. I think I'll at least call the pt and see what see wants to do. Thanks!

Steve P on 9/26/00 at 20:24 (029224)

Ken -- I would go to PT for at least a month or two & see if it's helping you. A knowledgable therapist can help you with your home program too.
I assume you have discussed other aspects of treatment with your dr. or therapist (such as: NSAID medication, icing, self-massage, possible use of nightsplint/orthotics, etc.) PT is only one part of an overall treatment program.

good luck..........Steve

Ken A on 9/26/00 at 20:34 (029226)

Hello Beverly,

That sounds like good advice. I should suck it up and just go. Hey, I can always leave, right? :-) I hope I get a good pt right away. What's ionpheresis?

Ken A on 9/26/00 at 21:03 (029227)

Steve,

I'm going to try therapy. You guys talked me into it. I think the doc said 3 times a week for 3 weeks. Thanks for the help.

Beverly on 9/26/00 at 23:30 (029235)

Ken,

I have a long way to go before I can say I'm on the road to recovery, but I will say that PT has given me more hope for it than anything else I've tried (besides rest). I have weeks when I seem to be getting better and then weeks with setbacks. I'm in one now. My setbacks usually are related to trying to resume a 'normal' life too soon.

Ionphresis is a topical cortizone that is applied with something that looks similiar to an electric stimulator. It does not have the punch that a cortizone shot will have but it also does not carry the rupture risk (since it only goes on topically). It is contraversial. Some insurance will pay for it. Some won't. I did it for about six weeks. I think it helped a little. I started having a reaction to it (became increasingly painful) and we had to discontinue.

My pod did not encourage stretching either. In fact, he forbade me from stretching. I wish I had not listened to him and had found my orthopedic surgeon sooner. Both orthopedic guys I saw said stretching was essential to recovery. I was very sensitive to stretching and had to ease into it slowly. I don't think I would have had to confidence to keep doing it without my PT's supervision. She kept adjusting my program until we found something that helped but did not hurt.

Best of luck,
Beverly

Ken A on 9/27/00 at 17:16 (029270)

Hi Beverly,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a setback and I sure hope you find a way to get it under control soon. Hang in there! I wish I could suggest something that would help, but I'm only learning about treatment now, from this site. And I'm sure you have tried things that I haven't gotten around to yet.

Having to deal with pf and wearing these darn hard orthotics for years has been a pain for me. I guess I adopted somewhat of a 'why me?' attitude. Little did I know how good I really had it. Yes there were a couple of times that I had to crawl around on my hands and knees, but given that there were only a couple in a 6 year period, I would have to say I've had it easy. Most 'normal' days I just had some pain at the insertion point. Sometimes arch pain. Some days I had no pain. And what pain I did have, now seems like a mere inconvenience. I now have fond memories of days I used to curse. :-) My recent killer bout, your ongoing battle, and other's experiences on this board have made me realize how bad this thing can be. Just last week I was seriously wondering if I was ever going to walk more than a few steps again. It's a scary thing to think about. In the past I always recovered quickly, as in days. But then, as now, I was always able to stay off my feet when needed. Actually, I did have one job that I had to quit because of pain. I guess only time will tell whether or not I am going to have a 'full' recovery. I feel like I'm making good progress. I truly hope that you are able to get back to 'normal' soon.

Last night while sitting at the computer, my left foot started to hurt, especially in the arch. It still hurts today. I was sitting in a office type chair, but using an ottoman to rest my feet. I haven't been able to rest my feet on the floor for the last several weeks because it caused an increase in pain and tingling. Apparently the position I was sitting in last night (using the ottoman) aggravated my condition. I don't know why unless I was somehow unknowingly continually stressing/stretching things in my legs and feet. I'm wondering if you could be in a similar situation. I only have one chair in the house in which I can comfortably rest my feet (and is kind to my back). I guess I need to try to find another one to use while at the keyboard. So for now I have to spend less time at the computer and more time in my favorite chair in the living room. Maybe I'll catch Olympic fever! The way my foot feels now, I'm back to not wanting to go to a therapist, but I guess I need to give it a try.

Good luck,
Ken

Beverly on 9/27/00 at 19:39 (029280)

Ken,

When my feet are bothering me alot, sitting at the computer bothers me too. On better days, the computer does not bother me.

I sit with a foot rest under my feet. I have an erodynamic kind that slides back and forth. I have just recently started stretching my feet a bit before I get up the computer. I've heard other people mention rolling a tennis ball under their feet before getting up from the computer. I keep a tennis ball in the living room by my recliner and use it while I watch TV. I should probably put another one by the computer.

If you have gotten better before, there is every reason to believe you will get better again. I take comfort in remember that I have ups and downs with this. I plan to use better sense next time I have an 'up' day. It doesn't take much for me to have a setback.

If you are like me and do most of your work sitting down, that gives you a head start towards getting better. I think the teachers and others who have to be on their feet all day have a much harder time getting into recovery.

In the six months on this board, I have met some wonderful people. When I get really blue, I remember that most of the people here who have had this for over a year and have been treating it for at least that long, report being better than they were in the beginning. Some like Bob are in pain-free recovery most of the time.

Best of luck,
Beverly