Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Effects of doing too much too soon post-op?

Posted by T. Hurst on 9/26/00 at 19:59 (029218)

Docs - what damage can be done (please be specific if you have time) to the foot by doing too much exercise too soon after epf surgery? My doc told me to use pain as a guide, which I'm not very good at. The feeling I got from him was that I couldn't do any damage if I did too much too soon (it would just be painful), but I don't trust that notion. I would love it if this were true, as I would be braver in my exercising. But after all I've been through, I don't want to mess this up! I'm 2 months post-op epf both feet - my current exercise consists of 30 minutes recumbent biking plus 5 minutes elliptical precor. Last week I hiked (I have one of those fun jobs where I get paid for this) for about 1 mile and felt mildly/noticably/barably sore the next day. Advice? (I just moved and don't have a foot doc here yet!).

Re: Effects of doing too much too soon post-op?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/26/00 at 20:19 (029222)

From my experience too much activity too soon will cause pain in other areas of the lower extremity. Some which could last for months up to one year if the patient doesn't pay attention to his body. You can damage other joint that down the road will be permanently damaged. You have to understand that you had the medial band of the pf cut . This is a major support system in the human foot for walking and movement. So it you do too much you will be in pain for a very very long time and in some cases damage the other joints that are now working overtime and at the wrong time while the pf heals. The lateral column pain is just one example of what can happen after pf surgery.

lenore r on 9/27/00 at 14:36 (029262)

can you describe this lateral column pain?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/27/00 at 18:09 (029272)

This is pain from the calcaneal -cuboid joint. This joint is important in the toe off portion of the gait cycle. You can also get pain across the top of the foot and at the base of the 5th metataral bone. These are all to over straining and use of these joint and tendons due to the lack of stabilizing power that has been cut with the plantar fasica release.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/26/00 at 20:19 (029222)

From my experience too much activity too soon will cause pain in other areas of the lower extremity. Some which could last for months up to one year if the patient doesn't pay attention to his body. You can damage other joint that down the road will be permanently damaged. You have to understand that you had the medial band of the pf cut . This is a major support system in the human foot for walking and movement. So it you do too much you will be in pain for a very very long time and in some cases damage the other joints that are now working overtime and at the wrong time while the pf heals. The lateral column pain is just one example of what can happen after pf surgery.

lenore r on 9/27/00 at 14:36 (029262)

can you describe this lateral column pain?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/27/00 at 18:09 (029272)

This is pain from the calcaneal -cuboid joint. This joint is important in the toe off portion of the gait cycle. You can also get pain across the top of the foot and at the base of the 5th metataral bone. These are all to over straining and use of these joint and tendons due to the lack of stabilizing power that has been cut with the plantar fasica release.