Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

casting vs surgury

Posted by Jane B on 9/27/00 at 11:42 (029251)

I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis over three years ago. I have had second options, and based on everything I read, I believe that it is an accurate diagnosis. I have been through the gamut of treatment, getting to a point that is tolerable, the jumping back up to extreme pain. I wear orthodics in my shoes EVERY DAY. I miss one day, and back to square one. I have done the PT, and continue to do the exercises that they have given me. I wear a night brace(alternating feet, since I can't sleep if I have both on at the same time) Yes, I have it in both feet. As you can imagine I am at wits end. My doctor now wants to put me in casts(4-8 weeks per foot is his 'guess') which means it could be as long as 4 months! I am pushing for surgery. If I'm going to have to go through the recovery time anyway, I would rather get it done with. I have read many mixed reviews about both, and am trying to get different options. Please share your thoughts.

Re: casting vs surgury

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/27/00 at 12:18 (029253)

That's a very long time to be in a cast. Surgery is an option for the right patient. Two things you need to consider with surgery.

1. It can take up to six months or more for the pain to leave.

2. There is a very small chance that with any foot surgery especially heel spur surgery that the foot can be left with greater pain then before the surgery.

I would look into ESWT. This is a shockwave treatment that can be very effective without any of the complicatons that can and do happen with heel spur surgery. I have perform over one thousand heel spur procedures in the last twenty two years. The procedure itself and not the doctor can cause severe pain left in the foot. This has nothing to do with the doctor it is the procedure itself. It weakens the medical column of the foot and places the body weight on the outside of the foot. If you want you can call my office and ask to speak with Katie she will send you any information that you need about ESWT.
This web site http://www.heelspurs.com is an excellent source for ESWT information . I hope this is helpful

Re: casting vs surgury

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/27/00 at 12:18 (029253)

That's a very long time to be in a cast. Surgery is an option for the right patient. Two things you need to consider with surgery.

1. It can take up to six months or more for the pain to leave.

2. There is a very small chance that with any foot surgery especially heel spur surgery that the foot can be left with greater pain then before the surgery.

I would look into ESWT. This is a shockwave treatment that can be very effective without any of the complicatons that can and do happen with heel spur surgery. I have perform over one thousand heel spur procedures in the last twenty two years. The procedure itself and not the doctor can cause severe pain left in the foot. This has nothing to do with the doctor it is the procedure itself. It weakens the medical column of the foot and places the body weight on the outside of the foot. If you want you can call my office and ask to speak with Katie she will send you any information that you need about ESWT.
This web site http://www.heelspurs.com is an excellent source for ESWT information . I hope this is helpful