Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

thinking surgery

Posted by Chris B on 9/27/00 at 17:35 (029271)

I have put up with this pain for 2 years and 4 months. My podiatrist again said yesterday that with a little bit of trouble, my heel pain would be gone. He has talked to me about it before, but I have been very resistent. I teach school, try to exercise, wear Birks most of the time, take Vioxx when needed, and wear a boot at night. I think that I am ready.
My questions are: How long would I need to be out of school; how long before I could drive; how bad is recovery pain? He would be doing the release and smoothing the spur on my right only. He also mentioned 3 weeks on crutches, but some get off quicker. We didn't really go into specifics because I wasn't interested yet. Today I am worse than usual and am taking the Vioxx. I'm sick of this. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: thinking surgery

Pat M. on 9/27/00 at 20:23 (029283)

Chris B,
I teach school, also. I had surgery on left foot on August 2, 2000. School began on August 7. I didn't miss any time. I used a wheelchair while at school and crutches at home. Admittedly, I didn't do anything else. I got up each morning, went to school and then came home and hit the bed. It was very tiring. The thing is, I did it and I am pretty much a wimp. I was completely nonweight bearing for three weeks on my left foot. The only time missed was the day after I began to walk again. My calf was so sore the next morning that I couldn't stand up. That went away within a few hours, though.
At this time, I am able to do much more than I could before surgery. For me, surgery seems to have been a help. I understand that I still won't really know for another few months. I do have pain, but not the same kind.
For the first week, pain was pretty intense. I was lucky to have that week before school started. So maybe a week off from school..??? That's what it would have been for me.
I hope some of this helps. Everyone is different, but for me this seems to have been the right decision.
Pat M. 2nd Grade Teacher in Texas

john h on 9/28/00 at 18:27 (029361)

chris: is he doing open,minimal invasive, or endoscopic surgery?

Re: Have you tried orthodics?

T. Hurst on 9/28/00 at 20:36 (029368)

Maybe the docs can back me up on this (maybe not)...but I think you should give custom orthodics a try before you get surgery. Until the cause of the pf is addressed, it will never be resolved. A well-fitted pair of orthodics may alleviate much of the pf. In my case, I got fitted properly very late in my treatment & although they helped significantly, I could not avoid surgery as too much damage had been done. But orthodics are a very important/mandatory post-op measure - so if they don't save you from surgery, you will need them after surgery! Something to think about.

Chris B on 9/30/00 at 11:06 (029510)

He is doing open on the right foot and also shaving down a spur. There will be 2 incisions.

Chris B on 9/30/00 at 11:13 (029511)

Thanks, that is what I was thinking- about a week. He said crutches for 3 weeks and no driving. I have lots of support at the school, but I know it is going to be a long haul. I have been through so much with this problem that I think I will be able to handle the time for recoup. It's just so hard to finally give in- which is what I feel like I'm doing when I opt for surgery.

Chris B on 9/30/00 at 11:18 (029512)

I have orthodics that didn't help at all. I also have about 8 different types of cushioning pads for foot and heel that I switch around daily. The Birks still are the best bet for any time that I will be walking any distance. I also just got a pair of Naturalsports that I can tolerate for about 3-4 hours. I wore the orthodics religiously at the beginning for about 11 months and finally decided to experiment with some others. He checked them for fit and thought they were fine.

JudyS on 9/30/00 at 11:46 (029513)

Oh Chris - I hope you can rethink that 'giving in' feeling. When I read your post, I didn't think you were giving in at all, my immediate thought was that you were taking charge in a very progressive manner. Good for you - be sure to keep us 'posted'!

Pat M. on 9/30/00 at 21:08 (029539)

I felt the same way, Chris. (giving in) However, I needed to get something done. I went through last year of school in total pain. When your feet hurt, nothing seems to go right. My memories of last year are pretty much a blur of pain. I really only went through a few months of treatment before my Doc offered surgery. Like I said, for me it seemed to be the way out. A lot of people here have been through a lot more than I have. I certainly applaud their efforts and for many it is working. I simply didn't have what it took to go through everything that they have. So, once again surgery was the best way for me to go. I do not regret it for one second. (well, maybe a few seconds during that first week.) You have to do what you think is right for you. I listened to everything that was said here on this board and by many others and chose what was right for me. I no longer consider it giving in. It seems that I have done well for myself. Some people don't seem to have such good results. I guess it is individualized.
I am wearing 'normal' shoes for the first time in well over a year. This I consider success.
Good luck, Pat

caryne on 10/01/00 at 07:18 (029546)

I too teach and had surgury done last march 30th. I was able to enjoy my summer and can take long walks again. I was in a hard cast for two weeks (along with crutches) then just crutches for a week or two. So glad i had the surgury.

Kelly D on 10/03/00 at 12:18 (029680)

Chris - be sure you get a second opinion before you do an open release. Mine was endoscopic and the recovery seems to be much quicker. Also - find a doctor who has done LOTS of whichever procedure you choose - not just a few here and there.

dianej on 10/19/00 at 05:19 (030820)

chris , i had spur removed by orthopedic surgeon, i would not think of a podatrist touching it.well in australia anyway, i dont know how qualified youre podatrists are in usa,
i had a half caste plaster for some weeks, needed crutches had much pain, could not drive a car for weeks, walked in water to strengthen foot daily when able,could not go to work for weeks, i was told i would be back at work in six weeks, i wasnt able to achieve that. i needed the op done again a year later, had good result for about 3 -4 years, now foot collapsed and need triple fusion of some bones in same foot, am in dreadful pain, im on my feet daily as im a nurse.
im left with no choice , i cannot tap dance anymore, i have amazingly strong tendons ,, apparently. i dont want to put you off, what im trying to say, is if in pain get heaps of opinions, have a M R I done. check all out first, with positive tests, not heresay, good luck

chrisj on 10/19/00 at 14:56 (030848)

I had surgery on 10/06 and will get my stiches out on Friday. I only had bandages. I was walking without crutches and only a protective shoe. I am having very little pain and can move it pretty good.

Pat M. on 9/27/00 at 20:23 (029283)

Chris B,
I teach school, also. I had surgery on left foot on August 2, 2000. School began on August 7. I didn't miss any time. I used a wheelchair while at school and crutches at home. Admittedly, I didn't do anything else. I got up each morning, went to school and then came home and hit the bed. It was very tiring. The thing is, I did it and I am pretty much a wimp. I was completely nonweight bearing for three weeks on my left foot. The only time missed was the day after I began to walk again. My calf was so sore the next morning that I couldn't stand up. That went away within a few hours, though.
At this time, I am able to do much more than I could before surgery. For me, surgery seems to have been a help. I understand that I still won't really know for another few months. I do have pain, but not the same kind.
For the first week, pain was pretty intense. I was lucky to have that week before school started. So maybe a week off from school..??? That's what it would have been for me.
I hope some of this helps. Everyone is different, but for me this seems to have been the right decision.
Pat M. 2nd Grade Teacher in Texas

john h on 9/28/00 at 18:27 (029361)

chris: is he doing open,minimal invasive, or endoscopic surgery?

T. Hurst on 9/28/00 at 20:36 (029368)

Maybe the docs can back me up on this (maybe not)...but I think you should give custom orthodics a try before you get surgery. Until the cause of the pf is addressed, it will never be resolved. A well-fitted pair of orthodics may alleviate much of the pf. In my case, I got fitted properly very late in my treatment & although they helped significantly, I could not avoid surgery as too much damage had been done. But orthodics are a very important/mandatory post-op measure - so if they don't save you from surgery, you will need them after surgery! Something to think about.

Chris B on 9/30/00 at 11:06 (029510)

He is doing open on the right foot and also shaving down a spur. There will be 2 incisions.

Chris B on 9/30/00 at 11:13 (029511)

Thanks, that is what I was thinking- about a week. He said crutches for 3 weeks and no driving. I have lots of support at the school, but I know it is going to be a long haul. I have been through so much with this problem that I think I will be able to handle the time for recoup. It's just so hard to finally give in- which is what I feel like I'm doing when I opt for surgery.

Chris B on 9/30/00 at 11:18 (029512)

I have orthodics that didn't help at all. I also have about 8 different types of cushioning pads for foot and heel that I switch around daily. The Birks still are the best bet for any time that I will be walking any distance. I also just got a pair of Naturalsports that I can tolerate for about 3-4 hours. I wore the orthodics religiously at the beginning for about 11 months and finally decided to experiment with some others. He checked them for fit and thought they were fine.

JudyS on 9/30/00 at 11:46 (029513)

Oh Chris - I hope you can rethink that 'giving in' feeling. When I read your post, I didn't think you were giving in at all, my immediate thought was that you were taking charge in a very progressive manner. Good for you - be sure to keep us 'posted'!

Pat M. on 9/30/00 at 21:08 (029539)

I felt the same way, Chris. (giving in) However, I needed to get something done. I went through last year of school in total pain. When your feet hurt, nothing seems to go right. My memories of last year are pretty much a blur of pain. I really only went through a few months of treatment before my Doc offered surgery. Like I said, for me it seemed to be the way out. A lot of people here have been through a lot more than I have. I certainly applaud their efforts and for many it is working. I simply didn't have what it took to go through everything that they have. So, once again surgery was the best way for me to go. I do not regret it for one second. (well, maybe a few seconds during that first week.) You have to do what you think is right for you. I listened to everything that was said here on this board and by many others and chose what was right for me. I no longer consider it giving in. It seems that I have done well for myself. Some people don't seem to have such good results. I guess it is individualized.
I am wearing 'normal' shoes for the first time in well over a year. This I consider success.
Good luck, Pat

caryne on 10/01/00 at 07:18 (029546)

I too teach and had surgury done last march 30th. I was able to enjoy my summer and can take long walks again. I was in a hard cast for two weeks (along with crutches) then just crutches for a week or two. So glad i had the surgury.

Kelly D on 10/03/00 at 12:18 (029680)

Chris - be sure you get a second opinion before you do an open release. Mine was endoscopic and the recovery seems to be much quicker. Also - find a doctor who has done LOTS of whichever procedure you choose - not just a few here and there.

dianej on 10/19/00 at 05:19 (030820)

chris , i had spur removed by orthopedic surgeon, i would not think of a podatrist touching it.well in australia anyway, i dont know how qualified youre podatrists are in usa,
i had a half caste plaster for some weeks, needed crutches had much pain, could not drive a car for weeks, walked in water to strengthen foot daily when able,could not go to work for weeks, i was told i would be back at work in six weeks, i wasnt able to achieve that. i needed the op done again a year later, had good result for about 3 -4 years, now foot collapsed and need triple fusion of some bones in same foot, am in dreadful pain, im on my feet daily as im a nurse.
im left with no choice , i cannot tap dance anymore, i have amazingly strong tendons ,, apparently. i dont want to put you off, what im trying to say, is if in pain get heaps of opinions, have a M R I done. check all out first, with positive tests, not heresay, good luck

chrisj on 10/19/00 at 14:56 (030848)

I had surgery on 10/06 and will get my stiches out on Friday. I only had bandages. I was walking without crutches and only a protective shoe. I am having very little pain and can move it pretty good.