Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Should I buy this stuff @ the drugstore or get the expensive stuff online?

Posted by Alison H. on 9/27/00 at 18:26 (029274)

Hi! I think this website is GREAT! I thought I was the only one with this problem! I love the way ya'll support each other. I have had this heel pain for over a year now, & finally went to CVS Pharm. and bought a gel heel cup & gelcomb insert on the advice of one of the clerks. They cost me $13. The heel cup definitely helps the pain, haven't tried the insert yet(got the wrong size). I was wondering, should I order the 'Ultimate Heel & Arch Orthotic' like one of the other sufferers talked about for $50, or is there something in the store that is just as good? I would appreciate any of your input. Like many of you, I have spent a fortune on shoes, & hate to waste any more money. Thanks!

Re: Should I buy this stuff @ the drugstore or get the expensive stuff online?

Nancy N on 9/27/00 at 21:47 (029287)

Alison--

It's a good question. I would be inclined to try the less expensive things first because you never know--they may work for you, and you'll have saved yourself a lot of money if they do. I would take it in stages, with the most expensive things being the last things you try. You can also look around on this site and see what people think of different products to get an idea of whether or not you might want to try them.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes (and feel free to ask lots of questions--that's why we're all here).

Re: Neither!

Steve P on 9/28/00 at 10:09 (029311)

Alison -- Greetings! I can't tell from your post whether or not you've been to a doctor for a diagnosis. I hope you have; but if you've had heel pain for a year & haven't had an evaluation, I think it's high time. Get to a Podiatrist or Sports Medicine clinic so you know for sure what your problem is. Self-treatment is not the way to go.

best wishes.......Steve

Nancy N on 9/28/00 at 11:11 (029320)

That's a good point, Steve--I must have missed it. Definitely go to the doctor and have it checked so you can make sure you know what you're dealing with.

Alison H. on 9/29/00 at 00:01 (029393)

Steve & Nancy - Thanks so much for your input. I will get myself to my Dr. :)

Re: Should I buy this stuff @ the drugstore or get the expensive stuff online?

Nancy N on 9/27/00 at 21:47 (029287)

Alison--

It's a good question. I would be inclined to try the less expensive things first because you never know--they may work for you, and you'll have saved yourself a lot of money if they do. I would take it in stages, with the most expensive things being the last things you try. You can also look around on this site and see what people think of different products to get an idea of whether or not you might want to try them.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes (and feel free to ask lots of questions--that's why we're all here).

Steve P on 9/28/00 at 10:09 (029311)

Alison -- Greetings! I can't tell from your post whether or not you've been to a doctor for a diagnosis. I hope you have; but if you've had heel pain for a year & haven't had an evaluation, I think it's high time. Get to a Podiatrist or Sports Medicine clinic so you know for sure what your problem is. Self-treatment is not the way to go.

best wishes.......Steve

Nancy N on 9/28/00 at 11:11 (029320)

That's a good point, Steve--I must have missed it. Definitely go to the doctor and have it checked so you can make sure you know what you're dealing with.

Alison H. on 9/29/00 at 00:01 (029393)

Steve & Nancy - Thanks so much for your input. I will get myself to my Dr. :)