Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doppler results

Posted by Joopie on 9/27/00 at 18:58 (029276)

Well, I have a blood clot behind my left knee. So they sent me straight to the emergency room. I spent much of the day there. They taught me how to give myself shots in the stomach for the next 4 days - I gave myself two shots today while they coached me. Ouch.
And now I am taking Warfarin (Coumidin), so I have to be really careful not to hurt myself because the drug thins the blood out and makes it hard to clot. I go in every day, for a while, to have blood drawn so they can measure the levels and direct me how much Warfarin to take that day. Doc took me off work until Monday, so the drugs have time to do their job. Don't have to stay in bed but just can't do anything strenuous or brisk. Does this mean I get out of doing the dishes??? I also have a few food restrictions so I don't get too much vitamin K to counteract the drugs.

This whole thing is a pain. I am supposed to go to 2-3 baseball games (go A's!) and I think I may still do that - just get dropped off and stay in my seat the whole time. Shouldn't that be okay, Dr. B? It is after all near the end of the season and the A's are so close to the playoffs... puhlease?????

Thanks for asking about me - that felt good.

Re: Doppler results

Laurie R on 9/27/00 at 20:18 (029282)

Hello Joopie,
First of all,I am so glad you are doing better,and that you did go to see your doctor. It sounds like this will go away fast.How did you get this blood clot? Also you mentioned the Oakland As .That caught my eyes.I live very close to Oakland ,about 5 minutes away. I hope you can go and enjoy the games. My very best to you.Laurie R

wendyn on 9/27/00 at 23:07 (029296)

Joopie, I'm glad they caught this quickly for you. Sorry you're having such an awful time. Did they have any idea what's going on or why this is happening to you?

Lori E. on 9/28/00 at 13:09 (029332)

Yes, this means you get out of doing the dishes! I would make sure that going to the games that you don't have to walk too many stairs. Good luck, I hope this clears up for you soon.

JudyS on 9/28/00 at 13:38 (029336)

Wow Joopie - I'm so glad you went ahead and went to the clinic! A blood clot is nothing to mess around with. A baseball-playing friend of mine got hit with a baseball on the side of his upper leg...after 2 days it was swollen very badly so he went to the Doc and was told he had a blood clot which could have been life-threatening. Boy am I glad you didn't wait any longer!
Now, are you sure you want to sit in those hard stadium chairs that much? Won't it irritate the back of your knee? How about having an A's TV get-together at home instead where you can keep your feet up while your hubby does ALL the work? Please be very careful with yourself!

Laurie R on 9/27/00 at 20:18 (029282)

Hello Joopie,
First of all,I am so glad you are doing better,and that you did go to see your doctor. It sounds like this will go away fast.How did you get this blood clot? Also you mentioned the Oakland As .That caught my eyes.I live very close to Oakland ,about 5 minutes away. I hope you can go and enjoy the games. My very best to you.Laurie R

wendyn on 9/27/00 at 23:07 (029296)

Joopie, I'm glad they caught this quickly for you. Sorry you're having such an awful time. Did they have any idea what's going on or why this is happening to you?

Lori E. on 9/28/00 at 13:09 (029332)

Yes, this means you get out of doing the dishes! I would make sure that going to the games that you don't have to walk too many stairs. Good luck, I hope this clears up for you soon.

JudyS on 9/28/00 at 13:38 (029336)

Wow Joopie - I'm so glad you went ahead and went to the clinic! A blood clot is nothing to mess around with. A baseball-playing friend of mine got hit with a baseball on the side of his upper leg...after 2 days it was swollen very badly so he went to the Doc and was told he had a blood clot which could have been life-threatening. Boy am I glad you didn't wait any longer!
Now, are you sure you want to sit in those hard stadium chairs that much? Won't it irritate the back of your knee? How about having an A's TV get-together at home instead where you can keep your feet up while your hubby does ALL the work? Please be very careful with yourself!