Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain!

Posted by Roger B on 9/27/00 at 20:34 (029286)

Looking back it was 3 years ago that I believe I injured my heel while running...fast walk from a wildfire.No safe place to stop!Stone bruises I thought.Streaks ran from the bottom of my foot up my left ankle. The medic soaked my feet in ?? alum, super hot water, then cool water. No more pain after a day of elevating my foot. Feet became very tough. A month later the hide came off all around my foot just above the sole 1/4 inch in. All healed?? Pain started 1 yr. ago. My foot stays drawn. Exray showed a small white spur no point though. White streaks, hair like run frm heel to bottom of foot.Dr. gave me the C. shot. All started to ease some for 2 days, now it hurts constantly and worse than ever. Hurting ain't fun. How long and how many shots before relief? Any other ideas?

Re: Pain!

Dr. Biehler on 9/27/00 at 22:41 (029294)

If the white streaks are under the shin they could be vasospastions contractions. These can have different causes from smoking to e-plyloric bacteria.Some patients have white streaks from mascerated skin. What do you mean when you say the foot stays drawn? Both feet? Fat pad atrophy? You might have brused the bone which is very painful.

Roger B on 9/28/00 at 20:53 (029370)

Only the left foot. My foot stays tight. So much so, that the ankle and lower leg muscles/tendons feel pulled. It relieves slightly if the foot is turned to the inside. Should I go to a foot Dr. or stick it out with my regular Dr. I can't walk without pain. The foot throbs and I grit my teeth. Last week for two days after a shot the pain eased up. I jumped a puddle in the rain and it has not stopped hurting since.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/28/00 at 22:51 (029383)

See a doctor asap. Could be a stress fracture or a reaction from the steriod injections. Walking a very painful foot isn't good advice. Need to be in a cast boot . If nothing comes from the examination then stretcing lightly is a good start. The fact the tendons etc are tight tells more there is some kind of injury or the pain is causing the muscles and tendons to shorten. Must rule out tear and or stress fracture at this point. So rest and get back to the doc.

Dr. Biehler on 9/27/00 at 22:41 (029294)

If the white streaks are under the shin they could be vasospastions contractions. These can have different causes from smoking to e-plyloric bacteria.Some patients have white streaks from mascerated skin. What do you mean when you say the foot stays drawn? Both feet? Fat pad atrophy? You might have brused the bone which is very painful.

Roger B on 9/28/00 at 20:53 (029370)

Only the left foot. My foot stays tight. So much so, that the ankle and lower leg muscles/tendons feel pulled. It relieves slightly if the foot is turned to the inside. Should I go to a foot Dr. or stick it out with my regular Dr. I can't walk without pain. The foot throbs and I grit my teeth. Last week for two days after a shot the pain eased up. I jumped a puddle in the rain and it has not stopped hurting since.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/28/00 at 22:51 (029383)

See a doctor asap. Could be a stress fracture or a reaction from the steriod injections. Walking a very painful foot isn't good advice. Need to be in a cast boot . If nothing comes from the examination then stretcing lightly is a good start. The fact the tendons etc are tight tells more there is some kind of injury or the pain is causing the muscles and tendons to shorten. Must rule out tear and or stress fracture at this point. So rest and get back to the doc.