Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SEVERE heel pain......HELP!!!!!!

Posted by Marsha C. on 9/27/00 at 21:57 (029288)

I have had severe heel pain in both feet and with x-ray found to have bilateral heel spurs. The pain is so severe at times I can't even walk...especially upon rising or sitting for a time.
The podiatrist diagnosed me with plantar fasciitis, has given me 3 cortisone injections in my left heel..(which was worse than the right)..used ultrasound, whirlpool, heel pads and taping over 2-3 months all to no avail. The pain is much worse now, and from limping around my right knee is now swollen and very painful. The pain in
my heels is now so severe that walking is almost impossible.
My podiatrist has recommended endoscopic plantar fasciotomy. I am very worried about the prognosis of this surgery...but can't go on like this. The podiatrist reassured me that he has a good success rate... but I wanted to know if this is the right thing to do or if it will only make things worse. I would appreciate any information that you can give me.

Re: SEVERE heel pain......HELP!!!!!!

Dr. Biehler on 9/27/00 at 22:33 (029292)

I know it sounds counter intuative, but some times with an orthotic made out of ridgid material that supports the arch and redistributes your weight , it is possible to stand an feel no pain in your heel. Next to this I would highly recommend that you read everything you can on ESWT treatments. This should be your first choise before surgery.

Re: SEVERE heel pain......HELP!!!!!!

Dr. Biehler on 9/27/00 at 22:33 (029292)

I know it sounds counter intuative, but some times with an orthotic made out of ridgid material that supports the arch and redistributes your weight , it is possible to stand an feel no pain in your heel. Next to this I would highly recommend that you read everything you can on ESWT treatments. This should be your first choise before surgery.