Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Drug question

Posted by Barbara TX on 9/27/00 at 23:39 (029300)

Drs. B or Z: I have only about 30 days of insurance left on my current plan, which covers Celebrex (as you know, it is rather expensive). How much Celebrex can a doctor perscribe at one time? Is the amount controlled in any way, or can I get several months of it at one time? Is there a generic equivalent? Thank you, B.

Re: Drug question

Dr. Biehler on 9/28/00 at 08:07 (029303)

It is usually the insurance plan that limits the amount of drugs that can be prescribed at one time. At this time I don't think there is a generic for celebrex.

john h on 9/28/00 at 18:24 (029360)

i can assure you there is no generic for celebrex or vioxx. certain controlled drugs are limited by law to a 6 months supply and the doctor will normally only dispense a 30 day supply at a time with reffills. such drugs are valium , etc.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/28/00 at 22:28 (029377)

You can ask your doctor to do a 90 day supply. If not I am sure he can get alot of samples. The drug companies are loading offices with alot of vioxx and or celebrex. In my office I keep alot of these medications. I believe that both these drugs are something like $8 per pills or some very high amount. So ask the good doctor to help you out. It you wait for Bush or Gore to do something you will wait for at least ten years . I have been told that the healing period of ten years is the longest time pf will last.

Nancy S. on 9/28/00 at 23:14 (029387)

That's right, Dr. Z. -- I just got free samples of Vioxx from my doctor (50 mg each) to last at least 3 weeks. The office was full of them. And I'm grateful for the chance to try them. I've taken them for about a week, however, and I don't believe they're affecting me much, good or bad. What IS helping and building my strength and lifting my spirits more than anything else in many, many long months is using the Acu-Flex (several weeks now). Cheaper than Vioxx, folks, in the long run, and likely to last longer too! I hope you forgive my frequent mentions -- I guess it's right up there with Birks for me -- the two major products that have gotten me someplace.
A Happy Acu-Flex User,
Nancy

john h on 9/29/00 at 10:37 (029417)

at drugstore.com 30 celebrex (200mg) is approximately $68. it is probably half that in canada or mexico.

Bruce on 10/04/00 at 02:58 (029736)

>> I have been told that the healing period of ten years is the longest time pf will last <<

Is this true? I thought that PF could last indefinitely (the rest of a lifetime)?

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/00 at 06:30 (029745)

I have read that on these pages. I wonder what changes at the end of ten years that all of a sudden the body heals itself. If that were true, as long as we kept our patients for ten years we would have a 100% cure ratio. Dr.B.

Dr. Biehler on 9/28/00 at 08:07 (029303)

It is usually the insurance plan that limits the amount of drugs that can be prescribed at one time. At this time I don't think there is a generic for celebrex.

john h on 9/28/00 at 18:24 (029360)

i can assure you there is no generic for celebrex or vioxx. certain controlled drugs are limited by law to a 6 months supply and the doctor will normally only dispense a 30 day supply at a time with reffills. such drugs are valium , etc.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/28/00 at 22:28 (029377)

You can ask your doctor to do a 90 day supply. If not I am sure he can get alot of samples. The drug companies are loading offices with alot of vioxx and or celebrex. In my office I keep alot of these medications. I believe that both these drugs are something like $8 per pills or some very high amount. So ask the good doctor to help you out. It you wait for Bush or Gore to do something you will wait for at least ten years . I have been told that the healing period of ten years is the longest time pf will last.

Nancy S. on 9/28/00 at 23:14 (029387)

That's right, Dr. Z. -- I just got free samples of Vioxx from my doctor (50 mg each) to last at least 3 weeks. The office was full of them. And I'm grateful for the chance to try them. I've taken them for about a week, however, and I don't believe they're affecting me much, good or bad. What IS helping and building my strength and lifting my spirits more than anything else in many, many long months is using the Acu-Flex (several weeks now). Cheaper than Vioxx, folks, in the long run, and likely to last longer too! I hope you forgive my frequent mentions -- I guess it's right up there with Birks for me -- the two major products that have gotten me someplace.
A Happy Acu-Flex User,
Nancy

john h on 9/29/00 at 10:37 (029417)

at drugstore.com 30 celebrex (200mg) is approximately $68. it is probably half that in canada or mexico.

Bruce on 10/04/00 at 02:58 (029736)

>> I have been told that the healing period of ten years is the longest time pf will last <<

Is this true? I thought that PF could last indefinitely (the rest of a lifetime)?

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/00 at 06:30 (029745)

I have read that on these pages. I wonder what changes at the end of ten years that all of a sudden the body heals itself. If that were true, as long as we kept our patients for ten years we would have a 100% cure ratio. Dr.B.