Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Do we all have PF?

Posted by PaulS on 9/28/00 at 04:18 (029301)

I've been a visiting this site for only a couple of months, so forgive me, oldtimers, if this is a topic that has been discussed before. But I'm confused as to exactly what condition I'm suffering from. My wife had a 'classic' case of PF a year or so ago. She had severe pain in the bottom of the heel when rising in the morning, but this eased by lunchtime and she was skippping for the rest of the day. In my case, the only time I have no pain in my foot is on awakening. The pain, which is in the midfoot arch not in the heel area, then gets worse as the day goes on depending on how much standing or walking I do. Is this also PF?

Of course, I don't really care about the medical term for my problem, I just want to get better; but I wonder if the treatment should be different for the classic PF sufferers and the mid-arch people like myself.

Re: Do we all have PF?

Dr. Biehler on 9/28/00 at 09:16 (029305)

It does not sound like classic PF. A range of motion study and an x-ray could help alot in finding out what is causing your pain.

john h on 9/28/00 at 10:56 (029317)

paul: your question is one that i often ask. there are many professionals who state we really do not know what PF is or its cause. we know it's symptoms but they can be mimicked by various other problems. if we we all had PF then you would think that the same treatment would help or cure us all but it does not. surgery helps some but not others, eswt helps some but not others, cortisone shots help some but not others, and on and on. the conventional thinking is pf pain is caused by microtears in the fascia however dr baxter the eminent surgeon from houston thinks pf pain comes from the baxter nerve. my orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon stated to me that pf surgery was the most unrewarding surgery he does. the one thing we all have in common is pain that can hang on for years.

Kim B. on 9/28/00 at 14:28 (029343)

Paul, My symptoms are simular to yours. I've worked with both an orthopedis, both of which 'right it off' as 'Plantar Faciitis' (PF).

Whatever it is, it is hell to deal with. Whatever it is, it is taken very lightly by the medical establishment. Whatever it is, I have a stubborn case of it it, as it has been 18 months or so and I still battle the monster. I do have small heel spurs, so maybe that is camoflaging the real culprit. I dunno.

So, keep plugging at it. Try for second and third opinions till you get a good majority of opinion. I do believe that there may be a few different kinds of PF pain patterns. I just don't know what to make of it all. I wish you well.

Kim B.

salina on 9/28/00 at 15:00 (029348)

Hi Paul,
I have the same exact symptoms as you do.
I often wonder just what I have too.
I know it is just as painful to have the classic PF symptoms.
But at least if I had them, I would know for sure what it is I have.
It would at least validate my pain.
But I keep telling my doctors my symptoms, and they keep saying PF.

JudyS on 9/28/00 at 15:08 (029350)

Or does PF have a bit of a 'life-cyce'? Mine started with sore heels while running. It graduated to the classic symptoms of morning pain, etc. Now it's soreness in the arch and heels after prolonged activity - no more morning pain. Docs, does PF have a life-cycle?

Barbara TX on 9/28/00 at 16:08 (029353)

VERY VERY INTERESTING!!! I think that mine definately does have a life cycle... first, in the lesser stages, it was just morning pain that I could ignore. Then, pain when pressed in the center of the heel. Then, no morning pain, but pain as the day progressed, and when I was (am?) most acute, pain involving my entire arch and ball of foot. It spreads! It is so weird... B.

Beverly on 9/28/00 at 16:56 (029356)

My worst pain has always been in the arches followed by lesser pain in the heels. My heel pain has gotten better (most of the time), but the arch pain stays on (especially in the left foot).
Everyone I've been to says I have PF.
I have some morning pain (some days worse than others) but my pain builds throughout the day based upon how much I'm on my feet.
I cycle through periods of terrible pain, mild pain, and on really good days just a nagging ache if I'm on my feet alot. But it has never completely gone away.
Beverly

john h on 9/28/00 at 18:16 (029359)

believe it or not in the fda studies on the ossatron they stated that pf will usually clear up on its on in 10 years. yes, 10 years.

Dr. Biehler on 9/28/00 at 09:16 (029305)

It does not sound like classic PF. A range of motion study and an x-ray could help alot in finding out what is causing your pain.

john h on 9/28/00 at 10:56 (029317)

paul: your question is one that i often ask. there are many professionals who state we really do not know what PF is or its cause. we know it's symptoms but they can be mimicked by various other problems. if we we all had PF then you would think that the same treatment would help or cure us all but it does not. surgery helps some but not others, eswt helps some but not others, cortisone shots help some but not others, and on and on. the conventional thinking is pf pain is caused by microtears in the fascia however dr baxter the eminent surgeon from houston thinks pf pain comes from the baxter nerve. my orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon stated to me that pf surgery was the most unrewarding surgery he does. the one thing we all have in common is pain that can hang on for years.

Kim B. on 9/28/00 at 14:28 (029343)

Paul, My symptoms are simular to yours. I've worked with both an orthopedis, both of which 'right it off' as 'Plantar Faciitis' (PF).

Whatever it is, it is hell to deal with. Whatever it is, it is taken very lightly by the medical establishment. Whatever it is, I have a stubborn case of it it, as it has been 18 months or so and I still battle the monster. I do have small heel spurs, so maybe that is camoflaging the real culprit. I dunno.

So, keep plugging at it. Try for second and third opinions till you get a good majority of opinion. I do believe that there may be a few different kinds of PF pain patterns. I just don't know what to make of it all. I wish you well.

Kim B.

salina on 9/28/00 at 15:00 (029348)

Hi Paul,
I have the same exact symptoms as you do.
I often wonder just what I have too.
I know it is just as painful to have the classic PF symptoms.
But at least if I had them, I would know for sure what it is I have.
It would at least validate my pain.
But I keep telling my doctors my symptoms, and they keep saying PF.

JudyS on 9/28/00 at 15:08 (029350)

Or does PF have a bit of a 'life-cyce'? Mine started with sore heels while running. It graduated to the classic symptoms of morning pain, etc. Now it's soreness in the arch and heels after prolonged activity - no more morning pain. Docs, does PF have a life-cycle?

Barbara TX on 9/28/00 at 16:08 (029353)

VERY VERY INTERESTING!!! I think that mine definately does have a life cycle... first, in the lesser stages, it was just morning pain that I could ignore. Then, pain when pressed in the center of the heel. Then, no morning pain, but pain as the day progressed, and when I was (am?) most acute, pain involving my entire arch and ball of foot. It spreads! It is so weird... B.

Beverly on 9/28/00 at 16:56 (029356)

My worst pain has always been in the arches followed by lesser pain in the heels. My heel pain has gotten better (most of the time), but the arch pain stays on (especially in the left foot).
Everyone I've been to says I have PF.
I have some morning pain (some days worse than others) but my pain builds throughout the day based upon how much I'm on my feet.
I cycle through periods of terrible pain, mild pain, and on really good days just a nagging ache if I'm on my feet alot. But it has never completely gone away.
Beverly

john h on 9/28/00 at 18:16 (029359)

believe it or not in the fda studies on the ossatron they stated that pf will usually clear up on its on in 10 years. yes, 10 years.