Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

victimization

Posted by JudyS on 9/28/00 at 14:03 (029340)

We've all pretty much been there, right? That part of this PF nonsense that keeps us WAY DOWN emotionally and we feel like victims of it while we gain weight in our easy chairs? We feel like IT controls US instead of vice-versa? It controls every waking moment, feeling and thought? Is is reasonable to say, then, that part of our own recovery is coming to that realization and taking steps to reverse the feeling even while the PF lingers?
The reason I ask the question is this; I had a conversation with a friend of a friend who, I learned, also has PF. Her name is Jan. She's in THAT moment. She's thinking that she'll never ever be what she wanted to be. She thinks she'll never climb a mountain, ride a bike for long or even have a child! Right now, for her, PF is the absolute controller. She's afraid to move, much less swim or complete a task. Roadblocks abound in her mental process. She feels she's come to the end of a productive, normal life and essentially has no future - and she's barely 30! Unfortunately for her, her doc told her that she might as well accept that she'll have this for YEARS to come - and this while she's sitting in a wheelchair! He essentially took all her sense of power or control away from her and I think that's a crime.
I think she'll read here, and I hope you all will give her some ideas for regaining a sense of control and eliminating that horrible sense of being PF's victim. To me she seems to be a very bright, energetic and productive woman and it's painful to see her think that she has to 'accept' this role of victimization.

Re: victimization

wendyn on 9/28/00 at 14:10 (029342)

Judy - I have definately been there. I am also 31, and 6 months ago we all thought that it was very likely I'd wind up in a wheelchair. I am a lot better than I was before.

It's very important to take one day at a time. No one can say (for any of us or for anyone else) what will happen tomorrow. Looking at the big picture is too overwhelming and uncertain. Deal only with right now.

Re: Wait a minute!

Steve P on 9/28/00 at 16:45 (029355)

Judy --- Needless to say, I hope your friend Jan will read the 'PF Book' on this website & take a few deep breaths. Time out!

She should realize that 90%+ of all PF patients recover with conservative, non-surgical treatments. Most do it in less than a year (not 'years to come') & return to a normal, active life. At 30, she has youth on her side & should have every reason to be optimistic.
Who is her doctor anyway, Dr. Grim Reaper, DPM? Give me a break! She should find a new doctor --- I always prefer Sports Medicine for PF--- & get into physical therapy & get on with her life. Yeah, she may be facing a tough 6 months to a year, but the odds are overwhelming that she is NOT 'at the end of a productive life'. Jan, if you're reading this please get moving on a 2nd opinion.

BTW, Judy, I've been thinking about old Dr. Lewi's 2 wives. They say that men are consistently attracted to the same type of woman.
?????????

Steve

Beverly on 9/28/00 at 17:01 (029357)

That is horrible! Judy, do you know why her doctor told your friend she will have this for years to come? Even if he believed this, I think it is cruel to tell the patient. Besides, no one can predict when PF will go away. But every doctor I've seen says that it usually goes away or is greatly reduced in a year. The longest timeline I've been given is 'up to a year-and-ahalf.'
I hope your friend gets a second opinion.
Beverly

elise on 9/28/00 at 19:14 (029363)

dear judy
i have had pf and it didnt last that long at all, i took pills that my dr gave me and it went away i just wish that this heel spur would go away any sugestions anyone i am not getting a shot in my heel im scared to death of needles is there any way to get rid of one without surgery or needles. bye elise

suzi on 9/28/00 at 22:09 (029372)

Doctors can often be so insensitive. I was seeing a physiatrist for my heel pain and she had the nerve to say to me 'the past tends to reflect the future.' I wasn't sure what she was talking about and being optimistic I thought to myself 'great, I lived without heel pain for 23 years and maybe my future will reflect a pain free life from nagging heel pain.' When I asked her what she meant she told me 'If you have lived with pain in the past, chances are you will also in the future!' WHAT AN IDIOT SHE WAS TO SAY THAT TO ME! I still get the chills when I think about this doc and how insensitive and foolish this was to say to a patient desperately looking for help!

sandy h. on 9/28/00 at 22:37 (029380)

sounds like an accupuncturist that i went to.she said that my feet hurt because i was depressed, did not seem to agree with me that maybe i was depressed because my feet hurt. i hobbled away as fast as i could

Steve P on 9/29/00 at 10:57 (029422)

Elise -- I suggest you re-post your message on the 'Ask A Doctor' Message Board, which is also on this website. One of the Podiatrists will answer you.

good luck.....Steve P

Re: victimization

wendyn on 9/28/00 at 14:10 (029342)

Judy - I have definately been there. I am also 31, and 6 months ago we all thought that it was very likely I'd wind up in a wheelchair. I am a lot better than I was before.

It's very important to take one day at a time. No one can say (for any of us or for anyone else) what will happen tomorrow. Looking at the big picture is too overwhelming and uncertain. Deal only with right now.

Steve P on 9/28/00 at 16:45 (029355)

Judy --- Needless to say, I hope your friend Jan will read the 'PF Book' on this website & take a few deep breaths. Time out!

She should realize that 90%+ of all PF patients recover with conservative, non-surgical treatments. Most do it in less than a year (not 'years to come') & return to a normal, active life. At 30, she has youth on her side & should have every reason to be optimistic.
Who is her doctor anyway, Dr. Grim Reaper, DPM? Give me a break! She should find a new doctor --- I always prefer Sports Medicine for PF--- & get into physical therapy & get on with her life. Yeah, she may be facing a tough 6 months to a year, but the odds are overwhelming that she is NOT 'at the end of a productive life'. Jan, if you're reading this please get moving on a 2nd opinion.

BTW, Judy, I've been thinking about old Dr. Lewi's 2 wives. They say that men are consistently attracted to the same type of woman.
?????????

Steve

Beverly on 9/28/00 at 17:01 (029357)

That is horrible! Judy, do you know why her doctor told your friend she will have this for years to come? Even if he believed this, I think it is cruel to tell the patient. Besides, no one can predict when PF will go away. But every doctor I've seen says that it usually goes away or is greatly reduced in a year. The longest timeline I've been given is 'up to a year-and-ahalf.'
I hope your friend gets a second opinion.
Beverly

elise on 9/28/00 at 19:14 (029363)

dear judy
i have had pf and it didnt last that long at all, i took pills that my dr gave me and it went away i just wish that this heel spur would go away any sugestions anyone i am not getting a shot in my heel im scared to death of needles is there any way to get rid of one without surgery or needles. bye elise

suzi on 9/28/00 at 22:09 (029372)

Doctors can often be so insensitive. I was seeing a physiatrist for my heel pain and she had the nerve to say to me 'the past tends to reflect the future.' I wasn't sure what she was talking about and being optimistic I thought to myself 'great, I lived without heel pain for 23 years and maybe my future will reflect a pain free life from nagging heel pain.' When I asked her what she meant she told me 'If you have lived with pain in the past, chances are you will also in the future!' WHAT AN IDIOT SHE WAS TO SAY THAT TO ME! I still get the chills when I think about this doc and how insensitive and foolish this was to say to a patient desperately looking for help!

sandy h. on 9/28/00 at 22:37 (029380)

sounds like an accupuncturist that i went to.she said that my feet hurt because i was depressed, did not seem to agree with me that maybe i was depressed because my feet hurt. i hobbled away as fast as i could

Steve P on 9/29/00 at 10:57 (029422)

Elise -- I suggest you re-post your message on the 'Ask A Doctor' Message Board, which is also on this website. One of the Podiatrists will answer you.

good luck.....Steve P