Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A beautiful evening OUT

Posted by Nancy S. on 9/28/00 at 23:43 (029390)

Just to offer an example of pleasure like I haven't had in a long time, with PF for 1.5 years and three tendonitises for 5 months:
First, musical background: I love all sorts of music -- rock, jazz, cajun, Greg Brown. My first love was classical piano, and I begged my parents for lessons starting at age 4 but didn't get them until age 8.
With the cast off my foot last week, and my trepidations in firm grip, I agreed to go to an Emanuel Ax piano concert at the big concert hall in Portland tonight. Not that we've gone nowhere in the last 1.5 years -- but I've played it safe and gone only where I knew I could get in and get out fairly easily. Also gone only where I could go as a semi-slob and get away with it, since PF isolation does not lend itself to wanting to bowl people over.
But did I prepare tonight! I spent a whole half hour -- really brushed my hair; put on a little eye makeup from ten years ago that made my eyes look twice the size of the pic in Scott's photo gallery of hellspurs.com addicts; wore a fantastic black dress in great condition from the 1930s (ahem, before I was born), silk stockings, AND: glimmering gold socks topped off with Hiking Boots.
My husband dropped me off at the front door of the concert hall and, with my ticket in hand, I made it across the lobby to the elevator, rode to the second balcony, and took my place seated next to a 90-year-old guy on a window sill waiting for the doors to open. Husband joined me there. Doors opened, and I walked sideways down the steps to our seats in order to avoid aggravating the achilles tendons.
No problem. We saw and heard a gorgeous concert, and my feet took it all fine. I was able to join in the standing ovation at the end, and I had another pleasant wait with yet another 90-year-old gentleman on a bench by the lobby front door while my chauffeur I mean husband went to get the truck. I came home full of joy, and my feet are not in pain.
Next week we go to see Hal Holbrook doing Mark Twain at the same hall.
Never at any other time in the last 1.5 years have I thought I could do this without suffering.
Second-best to the concert itself was wearing glittering gold socks on my feet. I highly recommend it. Dress up those babies.
Now I must speak to my ex-husband Huey Lewi, so goodnight for now; and everyone hang on to your hope, because I thought for a long time that such an evening might never be in the cards for me again.
Nancy

Re: A beautiful evening OUT

wendyn on 9/29/00 at 08:40 (029400)

Nancy, I'm so happy for you...you should have taken a picture of your gold socks and hiking boots. I bet you looked awesome. It's amazing how these little things (that we used to take for granted) can make such a difference in the way we feel now.

I giggled at your comments on sharing the bench with 90 year old men. I used to pass by all those benches in the malls and wonder why they put them EVERYWHERE. Now I often find myself looking around and wondering where the heck all the benches are. Funny how things like pain sure change your perspective.

I have to go to another wedding tomorrow.

I have nothing to wear. (My husband is getting tired of hearing this - so I will tell you instead)

I guess it's a long skirt and Birkenstocks AGAIN.

What am I going to wear if I go out to parties at Christmas?

I guess I could get some gold socks and hiking boots...maybe we could start a new fashion trend.

john h on 9/29/00 at 10:15 (029410)

long skirts and birks, gold shoes, boots! add to that a vokswagen bus and you are in high fashion in the 60's.

Nancy S. on 9/29/00 at 10:20 (029412)

Wendy, yes, it is funny how something like this changes things-taken-for-granted, like 'Where are all the benches' now. I almost wished I'd worn the cast so people wouldn't think I was just a lazy bum taking up bench space meant for older people! Actually, I think I subconsciously faked a limp in the elevator.
By all means, go for the gold (sox) and hikers for Christmas parties. I probably wore them to Christmas parties before I even got PF! And so far I haven't been crossed off any lists. Perhaps I speak too soon, though. I wasn't exactly uncranky a lot of this year . . .
Nancy

Nancy S. on 9/29/00 at 10:31 (029415)

Oh I think you got one thing wrong there, John. Glitter was out in the sixties. And let me tell you, my sox last night glittered and sparkled like an academy award ceremony.
Nancy

Steve P on 9/29/00 at 11:11 (029424)

Nancy --- Good for you, young lady! It's SO important to do enjoyable, normal things & to keep life as normal as possible during the recovery period.

I've see the Hal Holbrook routine on TV & it's fantastic. Should be a real treat to see it in person.

I hope you're still speaking to me after the cockroach comment! Then again, Barb called me a 'Splint Creep' the other day & I forgave her, so maybe you will too.

Anyway, thanks for your post & keep up the good work......Steve

Nancy S. on 9/29/00 at 11:40 (029431)

Steve, I think part of the reason I went out on the town last night was your post of a week or so ago, partly about continuing to do normal things and keep your life on track. So there you have it, you did a good deed with that post. Actually I believed in that before but I wasn't often enough practicing what I preached. So I hopped on board, and boy, I'm not sorry! Today is a good good day.
Of Course I forgive your cockroach comment. I remembered the 'Splint Creep' subject line, and you know I was tempted to title mine 'Cockroach Steve,' just like that, but then I was afraid you might take me seriously! All in jest, my friend.
Nancy

Re: A beautiful evening OUT -- "recovery period"

Nancy S. on 9/29/00 at 12:01 (029432)

Say, did everyone catch that? I read Steve's post again and he refers to the 'recovery period.' Something just clicked in my head. You get PF, and then, no matter how difficult it is sometimes, you launch into the 'recovery period.' Sure, it stinks sometimes, like recovery from many things, but the key word is 'recovery.' I like that.
Nancy

Laurie R on 9/29/00 at 14:03 (029442)

Hi Nancy,
I can not even begin to tell you how happy I am for you!!!!!! Your night out sounded so wonderful.We all need to do that once in a while. Music is the best.I like you love music ,all kinds. When ever I am down (and that has been alot lately) I always listen to music to bring me out of it.Good for you .I hope you continue to feel good. And thanks for telling us about your night .....As always my best to you. Laurie R

Barbara TX on 9/29/00 at 14:09 (029443)

I am so delighted for you, Nancy! I went out myself a couple of weeks ago, and even though I was in a wheelchair, I had a wonderful time. Just the getting out lifted my spirits. I love live music too - my husband took me to see the Soprano Kiri TeKanawa at the Meyerson. It was just her and a pianist - a lovely, intimate evening, even in such a big place. You inspire me to get out there and do it again - and to get some fancy-shmancy socks! B.

Beverly on 9/29/00 at 14:17 (029445)

Nancy,

How wonderful to have an evening out. You deserve it after all the suffering you've had this summer! I'd love to see a picture of that outfit. I have a few vintage skirts and one thing I've noticed is that a size twelve from yesteryear is about like a size 10 or maybe even size eight today. Needless to say, since I am currently a size 14, my vintage skirts won't even zip!

Beverly

JudyS on 9/29/00 at 16:48 (029460)

Bless your heart, Nancy! What a beautiful description of your evening! And thank you for setting a new standard exclusively for PFer's......in the last month or two we've gone to jazz under the stars, Beach Boys under the stars, and this weekend we're RV'ing north to the Pechanga Indian Res. to see Kenny Rogers (Have I Told You Lately.....well, nevermind!) under the stars. Although you are in posession of that favorite black dress, I will make do and am on my way out immediately to buy glittery socks (that poopy Ex of ours refuses to relinquish my favorite lace sockettes...) to wear with my hikers....perfection! I KNOW I have 10-year-old makeup and I may even have a hairbrush around here somewhere......
However, if I can't find glittery ones, will my baseball sox do?
Will this, then, be our 'uniform' for the Dec. 23 bash at Davy Z's?

Nancy S. on 9/29/00 at 16:58 (029464)

Judy, yes, your baseball sox will do IF they are Red Sox sox!
Ya, try to keep an eye on the hairbrush. Once when I got a new pair of glasses, I pranced up to my boyfriend in them and said coyly, 'What do you think of my new glasses?' He replied, 'I don't know, but your hair looks like you brushed it with an eggbeater this morning.' (True story.)
Have a great weekend!
Nancy

JudyS on 9/29/00 at 17:12 (029468)

SO glad you aced that old BF - as well as the old Dr. L whosit..

wendyn on 9/29/00 at 08:40 (029400)

Nancy, I'm so happy for you...you should have taken a picture of your gold socks and hiking boots. I bet you looked awesome. It's amazing how these little things (that we used to take for granted) can make such a difference in the way we feel now.

I giggled at your comments on sharing the bench with 90 year old men. I used to pass by all those benches in the malls and wonder why they put them EVERYWHERE. Now I often find myself looking around and wondering where the heck all the benches are. Funny how things like pain sure change your perspective.

I have to go to another wedding tomorrow.

I have nothing to wear. (My husband is getting tired of hearing this - so I will tell you instead)

I guess it's a long skirt and Birkenstocks AGAIN.

What am I going to wear if I go out to parties at Christmas?

I guess I could get some gold socks and hiking boots...maybe we could start a new fashion trend.

john h on 9/29/00 at 10:15 (029410)

long skirts and birks, gold shoes, boots! add to that a vokswagen bus and you are in high fashion in the 60's.

Nancy S. on 9/29/00 at 10:20 (029412)

Wendy, yes, it is funny how something like this changes things-taken-for-granted, like 'Where are all the benches' now. I almost wished I'd worn the cast so people wouldn't think I was just a lazy bum taking up bench space meant for older people! Actually, I think I subconsciously faked a limp in the elevator.
By all means, go for the gold (sox) and hikers for Christmas parties. I probably wore them to Christmas parties before I even got PF! And so far I haven't been crossed off any lists. Perhaps I speak too soon, though. I wasn't exactly uncranky a lot of this year . . .
Nancy

Nancy S. on 9/29/00 at 10:31 (029415)

Oh I think you got one thing wrong there, John. Glitter was out in the sixties. And let me tell you, my sox last night glittered and sparkled like an academy award ceremony.
Nancy

Steve P on 9/29/00 at 11:11 (029424)

Nancy --- Good for you, young lady! It's SO important to do enjoyable, normal things & to keep life as normal as possible during the recovery period.

I've see the Hal Holbrook routine on TV & it's fantastic. Should be a real treat to see it in person.

I hope you're still speaking to me after the cockroach comment! Then again, Barb called me a 'Splint Creep' the other day & I forgave her, so maybe you will too.

Anyway, thanks for your post & keep up the good work......Steve

Nancy S. on 9/29/00 at 11:40 (029431)

Steve, I think part of the reason I went out on the town last night was your post of a week or so ago, partly about continuing to do normal things and keep your life on track. So there you have it, you did a good deed with that post. Actually I believed in that before but I wasn't often enough practicing what I preached. So I hopped on board, and boy, I'm not sorry! Today is a good good day.
Of Course I forgive your cockroach comment. I remembered the 'Splint Creep' subject line, and you know I was tempted to title mine 'Cockroach Steve,' just like that, but then I was afraid you might take me seriously! All in jest, my friend.
Nancy

Re: A beautiful evening OUT -- "recovery period"

Nancy S. on 9/29/00 at 12:01 (029432)

Say, did everyone catch that? I read Steve's post again and he refers to the 'recovery period.' Something just clicked in my head. You get PF, and then, no matter how difficult it is sometimes, you launch into the 'recovery period.' Sure, it stinks sometimes, like recovery from many things, but the key word is 'recovery.' I like that.
Nancy

Laurie R on 9/29/00 at 14:03 (029442)

Hi Nancy,
I can not even begin to tell you how happy I am for you!!!!!! Your night out sounded so wonderful.We all need to do that once in a while. Music is the best.I like you love music ,all kinds. When ever I am down (and that has been alot lately) I always listen to music to bring me out of it.Good for you .I hope you continue to feel good. And thanks for telling us about your night .....As always my best to you. Laurie R

Barbara TX on 9/29/00 at 14:09 (029443)

I am so delighted for you, Nancy! I went out myself a couple of weeks ago, and even though I was in a wheelchair, I had a wonderful time. Just the getting out lifted my spirits. I love live music too - my husband took me to see the Soprano Kiri TeKanawa at the Meyerson. It was just her and a pianist - a lovely, intimate evening, even in such a big place. You inspire me to get out there and do it again - and to get some fancy-shmancy socks! B.

Beverly on 9/29/00 at 14:17 (029445)

Nancy,

How wonderful to have an evening out. You deserve it after all the suffering you've had this summer! I'd love to see a picture of that outfit. I have a few vintage skirts and one thing I've noticed is that a size twelve from yesteryear is about like a size 10 or maybe even size eight today. Needless to say, since I am currently a size 14, my vintage skirts won't even zip!

Beverly

JudyS on 9/29/00 at 16:48 (029460)

Bless your heart, Nancy! What a beautiful description of your evening! And thank you for setting a new standard exclusively for PFer's......in the last month or two we've gone to jazz under the stars, Beach Boys under the stars, and this weekend we're RV'ing north to the Pechanga Indian Res. to see Kenny Rogers (Have I Told You Lately.....well, nevermind!) under the stars. Although you are in posession of that favorite black dress, I will make do and am on my way out immediately to buy glittery socks (that poopy Ex of ours refuses to relinquish my favorite lace sockettes...) to wear with my hikers....perfection! I KNOW I have 10-year-old makeup and I may even have a hairbrush around here somewhere......
However, if I can't find glittery ones, will my baseball sox do?
Will this, then, be our 'uniform' for the Dec. 23 bash at Davy Z's?

Nancy S. on 9/29/00 at 16:58 (029464)

Judy, yes, your baseball sox will do IF they are Red Sox sox!
Ya, try to keep an eye on the hairbrush. Once when I got a new pair of glasses, I pranced up to my boyfriend in them and said coyly, 'What do you think of my new glasses?' He replied, 'I don't know, but your hair looks like you brushed it with an eggbeater this morning.' (True story.)
Have a great weekend!
Nancy

JudyS on 9/29/00 at 17:12 (029468)

SO glad you aced that old BF - as well as the old Dr. L whosit..