Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

has anyone used Acu-Flex?

Posted by Alison H. on 9/29/00 at 00:00 (029392)

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has used the Acu-Flex for stretching. How did it work for you? Would you recommend it? How much are you supposed to use it? Thanks for any input!

Re: has anyone used Acu-Flex?

Nancy S. on 9/29/00 at 00:37 (029395)

Alison, yes, I've been using Acu-Flex for a few weeks now, and I recommend it highly. I was historically a non or reluctant stretcher, but Acu-Flex has been the first aid to come along that I've successfully incorporated into a routine and experienced real progress with. (I've had PF for 1.5 years and three kinds of tendonitis for 5 months.) Both its strengthening and stretching capabilities are paying off for me. It works foot muscles that I haven't been able to get at before, and the material allows me to ease in and out of stretches in a safe, gradual way -- my feet kind of get to choose where to lock it, and as flexibility in them increases, the Acu-Flex goes along with them and then allows me to set new gradual challenges.
Frankly, I'm not a bigtime 'product' user, but this is working for me. I started out at about 10 minutes 3 times a day -- now I work with them for about 15 minutes, at least 3 times a day and sometimes 4. The manual is full of exercises to try in the future, as my tendonitises recede, and also speaks a lot in a helpful way to your state of mind in trying to heal. I give it a big Yes. It's fairly new, so I don't know if you'll find other posters yet who have an opinion. But after 1.5 years of floundering around, I have to highly recommend it.
Best of luck to you, in whatever you decide! And welcome to the board.
Nancy

Nancy N on 9/29/00 at 10:49 (029419)

I wasn't planning to post anything for a while yet, but since you asked so nicely, I've been using the Acu-Flex for about a week. I think it's too early to draw real conclusions about progress (which is why I was waiting to post), but I can say that I do like it a lot. It's quite easy to use and I can definitely tell that I'm working the feet well. As Nancy S said, you can control just about everything with it--how much resistance you use, which toes you incorporate (with or without the whole foot included in the exercise), etc. I especially like the fact that it's not weight-bearing at all, so I can stretch my feet without reinjuring myself, which I suspect is what I've been doing via other traditional stretches for the last year.

Nancy S made remarkable progress with it, and while my case is not as bad as hers, I can say that I have felt better this week than I have in a while, without drugs (well, a little advil for another problem, but I don't think that has had any effect since it's never done the slightest thing for my PF). I've been on it quite a lot in the last few days, though, and that's part of why I want to post about my progress when a little more time has passed. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm keeping information from you--it's just that every time I start to feel better with any particular treatment, it lasts for about a week and then I end up back where I started. So now I wait longer before I draw any big conclusions (I have to confess that I'm starting to fear that I jinx myself by speaking too soon!). I'll post something more definite in another week or two--or whenever I feel I have something more definite to offer.

If you have any questions about it and how it works, please don't hesitate to ask!

Alison H. on 9/29/00 at 16:58 (029463)

Thanks so much ladies for your info - I ordered mine today!

Nancy S. on 9/29/00 at 00:37 (029395)

Alison, yes, I've been using Acu-Flex for a few weeks now, and I recommend it highly. I was historically a non or reluctant stretcher, but Acu-Flex has been the first aid to come along that I've successfully incorporated into a routine and experienced real progress with. (I've had PF for 1.5 years and three kinds of tendonitis for 5 months.) Both its strengthening and stretching capabilities are paying off for me. It works foot muscles that I haven't been able to get at before, and the material allows me to ease in and out of stretches in a safe, gradual way -- my feet kind of get to choose where to lock it, and as flexibility in them increases, the Acu-Flex goes along with them and then allows me to set new gradual challenges.
Frankly, I'm not a bigtime 'product' user, but this is working for me. I started out at about 10 minutes 3 times a day -- now I work with them for about 15 minutes, at least 3 times a day and sometimes 4. The manual is full of exercises to try in the future, as my tendonitises recede, and also speaks a lot in a helpful way to your state of mind in trying to heal. I give it a big Yes. It's fairly new, so I don't know if you'll find other posters yet who have an opinion. But after 1.5 years of floundering around, I have to highly recommend it.
Best of luck to you, in whatever you decide! And welcome to the board.
Nancy

Nancy N on 9/29/00 at 10:49 (029419)

I wasn't planning to post anything for a while yet, but since you asked so nicely, I've been using the Acu-Flex for about a week. I think it's too early to draw real conclusions about progress (which is why I was waiting to post), but I can say that I do like it a lot. It's quite easy to use and I can definitely tell that I'm working the feet well. As Nancy S said, you can control just about everything with it--how much resistance you use, which toes you incorporate (with or without the whole foot included in the exercise), etc. I especially like the fact that it's not weight-bearing at all, so I can stretch my feet without reinjuring myself, which I suspect is what I've been doing via other traditional stretches for the last year.

Nancy S made remarkable progress with it, and while my case is not as bad as hers, I can say that I have felt better this week than I have in a while, without drugs (well, a little advil for another problem, but I don't think that has had any effect since it's never done the slightest thing for my PF). I've been on it quite a lot in the last few days, though, and that's part of why I want to post about my progress when a little more time has passed. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm keeping information from you--it's just that every time I start to feel better with any particular treatment, it lasts for about a week and then I end up back where I started. So now I wait longer before I draw any big conclusions (I have to confess that I'm starting to fear that I jinx myself by speaking too soon!). I'll post something more definite in another week or two--or whenever I feel I have something more definite to offer.

If you have any questions about it and how it works, please don't hesitate to ask!

Alison H. on 9/29/00 at 16:58 (029463)

Thanks so much ladies for your info - I ordered mine today!