Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Pain

Posted by RE on 9/29/00 at 08:23 (029397)

I have been treated for heel pain since 3/99. This included 2 rounds of cortisone, physical therapy 3x week for 6 weeks. I have the same level of pain since March. It is now September and I am getting very tired of constant pain. I wear a boot while at work and at home. I have to take it off to drive, because it is my right foot. I had a consultation about getting ESWT treatment and was told since I have liver disease, that this treatment could trigger something in my body that can affect the function of my liver and make my condition worse. I am currently on a list for a liver transplant.

What are your feelings about a patient with liver disease and this type of treatment for heel spurs. My transplant physician said if surgery is necessary, I cannot be put under general anesthesia, and would have to have a local. This whole situation upsets me, because I do not have a high tolerance for pain. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have that may remedy my condition.

Re: Heel Pain

Dr. Biehler on 9/29/00 at 10:50 (029420)

What did the doctor think the ESWT was going to trigger? When you mention local anesthetic are you referring to heel surgery ? The ESWT has to be safer than surgery. If you do surgery the type you would look at is the minimal insissional fascia release done under a local. Have you had a biomechanical evaluation to rule out the possible causes of your heel pain? Have you tried orthotics yet. Sometimes they can do wonders.

RE on 9/29/00 at 12:36 (029435)

I do use orthotics. They help very little. The Dr. said something about the ESWT would break up calcification and that the liver produces this, thus, putting stress on it. I'm not quite sure of the terminology he used, because he tried to explain it in layman's terms, so some of the meaning may have been lost in the translation.

I have not had a biomechanical evaluation. I was evaluated by a physical therapist before starting therapy.

Bottom line - do you think ESWT treatment would be a safe viable option for someone with my condition??

Dr. Biehler on 9/29/00 at 13:54 (029440)

Do your x-ray show bony spurs on your heel?

Dr. Biehler on 9/30/00 at 05:23 (029502)

Is your doctor familar with ESWT for heel spur treatment or is he thinking about it in line with the kidney stone break-up type of procedure?

RE on 10/02/00 at 08:44 (029585)

He did not say if the x-rays show bony spurs. I went to an orthopedic doctor that is doing a clinical trial for ESWT. I would hope he was familiar with the procedure. He said I would not be a candidate because it woud break up calcification that would have to be processed by my liver, which could worsen my condition.

Any thoughts??

Dr. C. Huey Lewi on 10/02/00 at 10:00 (029589)

Dear Sufferer:

You are correct. The Kings-Men did indeed write that tune for me in barter for my services. I have recently procured the words from the Lewi archives at the Venerable Institute of Bunions and Callouses where they have been engraved on bronze tablets.

Refrain:

To Lewi, Lewi
Oh baby
We gotta go now (repeat)

Stanzas:

When spurs have taken a-hold of my feet
When I cannot stand and I search for a seat

When bunions bulge and we've had it with ice
He'll use his uranium plantar splice

When we're sick of walking in these weird Danish clogs
He'll release our fascias with salad tongs

When I limp, I gimp, and I sit here and whine
Lewi cracks my hallux with a spoon and I'm fine

How Lewi does his magic is a mystery
He's the greatest chriropodist in history

To Lewi, Lewi
Oh baby
We gotta go now (repeat)

I thank you, sir, for your interest.

I remain sincerely,

Dr. C. Huey Lewi, DPM

Dr. C. Huey Lewi on 10/02/00 at 10:47 (029591)

Sirs:

Drat. I have posted to the wrong inter-net board. Please take into consideration that I am 130 years old.

I remain most sincerely,

Dr. C. Huey Lewi, DPM

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/00 at 06:27 (029744)

I think the ESWT is a much safer procedure than the cortisone or the surgery. I would not expect there to be a calcium break-up that would effect the liver. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 9/29/00 at 10:50 (029420)

What did the doctor think the ESWT was going to trigger? When you mention local anesthetic are you referring to heel surgery ? The ESWT has to be safer than surgery. If you do surgery the type you would look at is the minimal insissional fascia release done under a local. Have you had a biomechanical evaluation to rule out the possible causes of your heel pain? Have you tried orthotics yet. Sometimes they can do wonders.

RE on 9/29/00 at 12:36 (029435)

I do use orthotics. They help very little. The Dr. said something about the ESWT would break up calcification and that the liver produces this, thus, putting stress on it. I'm not quite sure of the terminology he used, because he tried to explain it in layman's terms, so some of the meaning may have been lost in the translation.

I have not had a biomechanical evaluation. I was evaluated by a physical therapist before starting therapy.

Bottom line - do you think ESWT treatment would be a safe viable option for someone with my condition??

Dr. Biehler on 9/29/00 at 13:54 (029440)

Do your x-ray show bony spurs on your heel?

Dr. Biehler on 9/30/00 at 05:23 (029502)

Is your doctor familar with ESWT for heel spur treatment or is he thinking about it in line with the kidney stone break-up type of procedure?

RE on 10/02/00 at 08:44 (029585)

He did not say if the x-rays show bony spurs. I went to an orthopedic doctor that is doing a clinical trial for ESWT. I would hope he was familiar with the procedure. He said I would not be a candidate because it woud break up calcification that would have to be processed by my liver, which could worsen my condition.

Any thoughts??

Dr. C. Huey Lewi on 10/02/00 at 10:00 (029589)

Dear Sufferer:

You are correct. The Kings-Men did indeed write that tune for me in barter for my services. I have recently procured the words from the Lewi archives at the Venerable Institute of Bunions and Callouses where they have been engraved on bronze tablets.

Refrain:

To Lewi, Lewi
Oh baby
We gotta go now (repeat)

Stanzas:

When spurs have taken a-hold of my feet
When I cannot stand and I search for a seat

When bunions bulge and we've had it with ice
He'll use his uranium plantar splice

When we're sick of walking in these weird Danish clogs
He'll release our fascias with salad tongs

When I limp, I gimp, and I sit here and whine
Lewi cracks my hallux with a spoon and I'm fine

How Lewi does his magic is a mystery
He's the greatest chriropodist in history

To Lewi, Lewi
Oh baby
We gotta go now (repeat)

I thank you, sir, for your interest.

I remain sincerely,

Dr. C. Huey Lewi, DPM

Dr. C. Huey Lewi on 10/02/00 at 10:47 (029591)

Sirs:

Drat. I have posted to the wrong inter-net board. Please take into consideration that I am 130 years old.

I remain most sincerely,

Dr. C. Huey Lewi, DPM

Dr. Biehler on 10/04/00 at 06:27 (029744)

I think the ESWT is a much safer procedure than the cortisone or the surgery. I would not expect there to be a calcium break-up that would effect the liver. Dr. B.