Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

oh great

Posted by Paula on 9/29/00 at 17:50 (029469)

well, if you recall, i was the gal in a wheel chair for last month or two. with bad pf and two slightly sprained ankles and tendonosis. i started standing and walking carefully with walker and last week my pf and tendonosis started improving. then i fell and sprained one ankle really really bad . havnt been able to put wait on it is 5 day.s . my legs are already toothpicks from lack of use if this keeps me in wheel chair another month or more i wonder if i'll ever get leg musckles back.. anyone know? also i wonder if all that previous inacivity helped the healing of the pf and the tondonosis?

Re: oh great

alan k on 9/29/00 at 18:55 (029475)

you should consult someone about atrophy issues, as that is something difficult but not impossible to reverse.

alan k

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/29/00 at 19:57 (029478)

AT least start with the accuflex at home. You must address this problem. I agree with Alan not easy but not impossible.

VickiJ on 9/29/00 at 20:54 (029484)

I'm so sorry that you are having to go thru all this!!!
I do believe it is possible to work with weights (tho I'm not sure how) in a wheelchair...are you able to get a referral from your dr to a pt or see a special trainer at a local college or university regarding weight lifting while confined to a chair?

I know that those ankle weights can be used in sitting and lying positions.

Try to find a good professional who can help you with weight training in seated, or lying down positions...wish I could help somehow.
My most sincere wishes for a positive turn around!

JudyS on 9/29/00 at 22:55 (029496)

Paula - you're already being treated for your PF and sprains, right?
It sounds like, if I recall correctly, those sprains are happening a little too easily and you sure could stand some strengthening. Does your doc say anything about physical therapy? They'd do the best job with getting you on your way to strengthening. And actually, both of the strengthening tools on Scott's site can be used from a wheelchair. Is the wheelchair because of your PF?

alan k on 9/29/00 at 18:55 (029475)

you should consult someone about atrophy issues, as that is something difficult but not impossible to reverse.

alan k

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/29/00 at 19:57 (029478)

AT least start with the accuflex at home. You must address this problem. I agree with Alan not easy but not impossible.

VickiJ on 9/29/00 at 20:54 (029484)

I'm so sorry that you are having to go thru all this!!!
I do believe it is possible to work with weights (tho I'm not sure how) in a wheelchair...are you able to get a referral from your dr to a pt or see a special trainer at a local college or university regarding weight lifting while confined to a chair?

I know that those ankle weights can be used in sitting and lying positions.

Try to find a good professional who can help you with weight training in seated, or lying down positions...wish I could help somehow.
My most sincere wishes for a positive turn around!

JudyS on 9/29/00 at 22:55 (029496)

Paula - you're already being treated for your PF and sprains, right?
It sounds like, if I recall correctly, those sprains are happening a little too easily and you sure could stand some strengthening. Does your doc say anything about physical therapy? They'd do the best job with getting you on your way to strengthening. And actually, both of the strengthening tools on Scott's site can be used from a wheelchair. Is the wheelchair because of your PF?