Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

atrophy

Posted by Paula on 9/29/00 at 22:51 (029494)

what type of dr should i see for atrophy issues? certainly the many dpm s and orthos that i saw didn't have a clue or care in the least.

Re: atrophy

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/30/00 at 07:03 (029503)

I would see a physiatrist. This is a medical doctor that specializes in the total rehab and physical therapy of the entire human body. Most hospitals have a section in the hospital. Should be able to look up in the yellow pages also. This is a real speciality.

alan k on 9/30/00 at 08:29 (029504)

It is a shame your doctors did not worry about this. However, you should realize that there is a difference between atrophy and out-of-shape, and a short time in a wheelchair may not be a big deal. In any case, muscle weakness is higly amenable to reversal and shouldn't be a long term problem if one engages in a sensible exercise plan. In severe cases, exercise needs to be cautiously applied as a truly atrophied muscle needs to be babied at first. Medical supervision, I should think, would be necessary in severe cases of atrophy.

alan k

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/30/00 at 07:03 (029503)

I would see a physiatrist. This is a medical doctor that specializes in the total rehab and physical therapy of the entire human body. Most hospitals have a section in the hospital. Should be able to look up in the yellow pages also. This is a real speciality.

alan k on 9/30/00 at 08:29 (029504)

It is a shame your doctors did not worry about this. However, you should realize that there is a difference between atrophy and out-of-shape, and a short time in a wheelchair may not be a big deal. In any case, muscle weakness is higly amenable to reversal and shouldn't be a long term problem if one engages in a sensible exercise plan. In severe cases, exercise needs to be cautiously applied as a truly atrophied muscle needs to be babied at first. Medical supervision, I should think, would be necessary in severe cases of atrophy.

alan k