Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

benefit of cast use???

Posted by iris on 9/30/00 at 08:57 (029506)

dear pf family,
would those of you who have tried wearing a cast for a period of time please provide me that your opinions about its usefulness. did it help at all? did it affect your other foot? (i have pf in both feet, but the left one is worse therefore i can concerned that wearing a cast on the left foot will cause the right one to become worse) did it affect your back or your walking pattern?

after removal, did you need physical therapy to recover?
thank you for taking the time to reply.
iris

Re: benefit of cast use???

Fred on 9/30/00 at 10:59 (029509)

I have worn a fiberglass walking cast with a Goretex waterproof lining which permits me to shower and swim without using a cast cover. Most people don't like casts. I don't blame them because casts are bulky, inconvenient and can cause skin problems. (This is not true of Goretex liners, because you can wash them out anytime and this prevents skin problems, at least in my experience. The Goretex liners are also much more comfortable than the stockings and cotton padding that are used most of the time.)

For me at least, the cast brought almost immediate relief of my pain and after a month the pf, ot at least its symptoms, were gone. In order to avoid back pain, which a lot of people complain about, I made sure the leg without the cast was the same length as the casted one. This isn't hard to achieve. You can wear a clog or shoe inserts such as heel cups until you even out the length of your legs.

All in all the cast was a positive experience, at least as far as helping me get over the pf. Its the only thing that has worked for me over time. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Laurie R on 9/30/00 at 11:56 (029514)

Hello,
I think I am queen of the hard casts. Everyone knows I have been in and out of them. Yes in my opinion ,I think they work.Your foot will get the rest it needs.The key is not the cast but when it comes off. I just seem to always reinjure my foot everytime. The last time was heels and stairs.

I have now been in this cast for 4 weeks .I will be comming off in 1 more week. I also have crutches . The things is like Fred said ,is you have to have the casted foot and the un casted foot the same lenght. It does put more stress on the un casted leg.

Casts have been the only thing that has helped me so far. Yes when my casts come off I do go to PT.

My only advise to you is to try ,then you can see if it helps you. If you have tried everything else I don't think it will hurt. I know alot of people feel different on this .

My best to you .Laurie R

Re: Fred I have a question.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/30/00 at 14:21 (029516)

Can the cast be removed to wash the lining. and foot-leg.? If you do remove the cast does it have to be cut away with a cast saw.?? Can you tell me where to get the goretex waterproof lining . Thanks. Dr. Z

Fred on 9/30/00 at 17:24 (029526)

Dear Dr. Zuckerman,

The Goretex cast material is available directly from Goretex or its distributors around the US.There is a good evaluation of it, including photos at: http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1997/09sep/seles.htm . I first learned about it from an ER doctor. You don't remove the cast to wash the lining. You simply run water down inside it in the shower or you could use a hose. I swam and showered in it almost every day and when the cast was removed after 5 weeks, my skin was the same as before I was casted. Since the Goretex repels water, the inside of the cast and your leg dry very quickly after you swim or shower, in my case in about 20 minutes.

I also found the Goretex liner to be more comfortable than the traditional stockinette and cotton padding. When I had a cast once before, my skin became infected because of moisture and sharp edges of the outer fiberglass which penetrated the cotton and caused an skin abrasion from constant rubbing.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

PS I am not an employee of Goretex!

Nancy S. on 9/30/00 at 20:19 (029535)

Yes Laurie, you are Cast Queen, and you should have a crown like Kim's. If she won't send you hers, shall I make you one?
Nancy

Nancy S. on 9/30/00 at 20:31 (029536)

Dear Iris,
I recently wore an Aircast for 7 weeks. It can be inflated or deflated according to your foot's condition on a given day, and it's removable for showering, exercising, PT.
Like everyone says, it's important to build up the height of your other footwear to keep yourself aligned. Otherwise, you are likely to experience back pain.
I have PF in one foot (much improved when I started wearing the cast), and tendonitis in both feet (desperately needed improvement when I started wearing the cast).
I used the cast mostly on my worse foot -- the one with PF and most swollen etc. from tendonitis. Although it was not exactly a picnic to wear (heavy; harder to walk), it did rest my tendons and PF. I have to say it was harder on my noncasted foot, which carried more of the burden -- but that was happening anyway, before the cast. It didn't significantly worsen that foot.
I personally was glad to have a removable cast because it allowed me to exercise and stretch my feet daily and to continue with physical therapy three times a week. So nothing atrophied more. If you get put in a cast that isn't removable, I would definitely recommend that you get scheduled for physical therapy beginning as soon as you get out of it. You'll need it -- but in any case, I think the cast rest was worth it and would recommend it.
Best of luck to you --
Nancy

Laurie R on 9/30/00 at 21:37 (029540)

Hi Nancy,
You funny lady !!!!! Yes I would like you to make me a crown . I would like it to be purple and white with little flowers on it .Purple is my favorite color. I guess you could put a little gold too. Thanks Laurie R

Fred on 9/30/00 at 10:59 (029509)

I have worn a fiberglass walking cast with a Goretex waterproof lining which permits me to shower and swim without using a cast cover. Most people don't like casts. I don't blame them because casts are bulky, inconvenient and can cause skin problems. (This is not true of Goretex liners, because you can wash them out anytime and this prevents skin problems, at least in my experience. The Goretex liners are also much more comfortable than the stockings and cotton padding that are used most of the time.)

For me at least, the cast brought almost immediate relief of my pain and after a month the pf, ot at least its symptoms, were gone. In order to avoid back pain, which a lot of people complain about, I made sure the leg without the cast was the same length as the casted one. This isn't hard to achieve. You can wear a clog or shoe inserts such as heel cups until you even out the length of your legs.

All in all the cast was a positive experience, at least as far as helping me get over the pf. Its the only thing that has worked for me over time. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Laurie R on 9/30/00 at 11:56 (029514)

Hello,
I think I am queen of the hard casts. Everyone knows I have been in and out of them. Yes in my opinion ,I think they work.Your foot will get the rest it needs.The key is not the cast but when it comes off. I just seem to always reinjure my foot everytime. The last time was heels and stairs.

I have now been in this cast for 4 weeks .I will be comming off in 1 more week. I also have crutches . The things is like Fred said ,is you have to have the casted foot and the un casted foot the same lenght. It does put more stress on the un casted leg.

Casts have been the only thing that has helped me so far. Yes when my casts come off I do go to PT.

My only advise to you is to try ,then you can see if it helps you. If you have tried everything else I don't think it will hurt. I know alot of people feel different on this .

My best to you .Laurie R

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/30/00 at 14:21 (029516)

Can the cast be removed to wash the lining. and foot-leg.? If you do remove the cast does it have to be cut away with a cast saw.?? Can you tell me where to get the goretex waterproof lining . Thanks. Dr. Z

Fred on 9/30/00 at 17:24 (029526)

Dear Dr. Zuckerman,

The Goretex cast material is available directly from Goretex or its distributors around the US.There is a good evaluation of it, including photos at: http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1997/09sep/seles.htm . I first learned about it from an ER doctor. You don't remove the cast to wash the lining. You simply run water down inside it in the shower or you could use a hose. I swam and showered in it almost every day and when the cast was removed after 5 weeks, my skin was the same as before I was casted. Since the Goretex repels water, the inside of the cast and your leg dry very quickly after you swim or shower, in my case in about 20 minutes.

I also found the Goretex liner to be more comfortable than the traditional stockinette and cotton padding. When I had a cast once before, my skin became infected because of moisture and sharp edges of the outer fiberglass which penetrated the cotton and caused an skin abrasion from constant rubbing.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

PS I am not an employee of Goretex!

Nancy S. on 9/30/00 at 20:19 (029535)

Yes Laurie, you are Cast Queen, and you should have a crown like Kim's. If she won't send you hers, shall I make you one?
Nancy

Nancy S. on 9/30/00 at 20:31 (029536)

Dear Iris,
I recently wore an Aircast for 7 weeks. It can be inflated or deflated according to your foot's condition on a given day, and it's removable for showering, exercising, PT.
Like everyone says, it's important to build up the height of your other footwear to keep yourself aligned. Otherwise, you are likely to experience back pain.
I have PF in one foot (much improved when I started wearing the cast), and tendonitis in both feet (desperately needed improvement when I started wearing the cast).
I used the cast mostly on my worse foot -- the one with PF and most swollen etc. from tendonitis. Although it was not exactly a picnic to wear (heavy; harder to walk), it did rest my tendons and PF. I have to say it was harder on my noncasted foot, which carried more of the burden -- but that was happening anyway, before the cast. It didn't significantly worsen that foot.
I personally was glad to have a removable cast because it allowed me to exercise and stretch my feet daily and to continue with physical therapy three times a week. So nothing atrophied more. If you get put in a cast that isn't removable, I would definitely recommend that you get scheduled for physical therapy beginning as soon as you get out of it. You'll need it -- but in any case, I think the cast rest was worth it and would recommend it.
Best of luck to you --
Nancy

Laurie R on 9/30/00 at 21:37 (029540)

Hi Nancy,
You funny lady !!!!! Yes I would like you to make me a crown . I would like it to be purple and white with little flowers on it .Purple is my favorite color. I guess you could put a little gold too. Thanks Laurie R