Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs and Running

Posted by Joe S. on 9/30/00 at 13:39 (029515)

About six years ago I had a problem with heel spurs in both heels in the back of the heel below the Achilles, I beleive caused by running. I had cortisone injections in both heels which seemed to work rather effectively for me. Now six years later I have a nasty one in my right heel only in the same place.. It seems to come and go...some days worse then others...but usually feels better after i run...but in the mornings I'm usually in pain. Do I need to stop running all together..or is there an effective treatment or device for my shoes I can use? Is surgery the considered the last alternative only if other treatment don't work? Advice? Thanks

Re: Heel Spurs and Running

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/30/00 at 14:28 (029518)

Stretching is very good. . Make sure that the running shoe heel counter isn't rubbing the back of the heel. There is a very product for this condition if the shoe is causing the pain. Silopos. achilles tendong heel gel . It is a stocking with gel in it . It really will cushion the back of the heel from the shoe. It this failure i have been using ESWT in place of surgery.

B. Atlas on 9/30/00 at 20:38 (029537)

Joe S.: Just some advice, based on my experience -- I would stop running! I know that sounds impossible.
For me, I ran with PF for a few months until it was so bad, that I have not been able to run for six months now!
Better take it easy, have a doctor check you out, before you think you can run through it.....Just a layman's advice..B. Atlas, NY

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/30/00 at 14:28 (029518)

Stretching is very good. . Make sure that the running shoe heel counter isn't rubbing the back of the heel. There is a very product for this condition if the shoe is causing the pain. Silopos. achilles tendong heel gel . It is a stocking with gel in it . It really will cushion the back of the heel from the shoe. It this failure i have been using ESWT in place of surgery.

B. Atlas on 9/30/00 at 20:38 (029537)

Joe S.: Just some advice, based on my experience -- I would stop running! I know that sounds impossible.
For me, I ran with PF for a few months until it was so bad, that I have not been able to run for six months now!
Better take it easy, have a doctor check you out, before you think you can run through it.....Just a layman's advice..B. Atlas, NY