Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

poor posture and pf???

Posted by suzi on 9/30/00 at 20:16 (029534)

Do any of you have horrid posture like I do that could be crushing the rest of the body and aggravating heel pain??? Just a thought!

Re: Two Posture Tips

alan k on 10/02/00 at 08:20 (029584)

Everyone I have ever seen about foot problems believes posture is important, especially while walking.

Of course we can't analyze your gait online and compare it with ours, but here are two tips about posture. There are tens of details one could attend to, but often by emphasizing these two things, alot of the other details will come into alignment.

1. keep your lower abdomen muscles engaged. This means not letting the tailbone stick out too much. The muscles that you can practice tightening are between about two inches below the navel to the pubis, and the muscles that contract between the anus and the genitals. Concentrate on squeezing and lifting up these muscles, to become aware of where they are. While standing, engage these muscles firmly but not tightly, and feel how your pelvis comes forward, your hips line up under the shoulders, and your upper body is lifted up out of the hip area. Try to engage these muscles slightly and get that lifting feeling as you walk.

2. When walking, also try to have most of the weight in your gait fall exactly on the point where your arch ends and the bulge of the ball of the foot begins. The exact spot is the valley just short of and between the bulge in front of the big toe, and the bulge of the little toes.
Your heel should strike first, of course. Your ball and toes should push off, of course. But as you are doing the proper pattern keep attention on having the center of gravity be located in that one spot, called the 'bubbling springs' in Chinese.

Chances are that your whole body will come into proper alignment if you stick to these two principles.

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Nancy S. on 10/02/00 at 21:40 (029651)

I tried these today, and they felt right. It kind of brought home to me just how whacked out my walking and body alignment are now. It took a lot of concentration to apply these tips. I will continue to concentrate.
Nancy

alan k on 10/02/00 at 08:20 (029584)

Everyone I have ever seen about foot problems believes posture is important, especially while walking.

Of course we can't analyze your gait online and compare it with ours, but here are two tips about posture. There are tens of details one could attend to, but often by emphasizing these two things, alot of the other details will come into alignment.

1. keep your lower abdomen muscles engaged. This means not letting the tailbone stick out too much. The muscles that you can practice tightening are between about two inches below the navel to the pubis, and the muscles that contract between the anus and the genitals. Concentrate on squeezing and lifting up these muscles, to become aware of where they are. While standing, engage these muscles firmly but not tightly, and feel how your pelvis comes forward, your hips line up under the shoulders, and your upper body is lifted up out of the hip area. Try to engage these muscles slightly and get that lifting feeling as you walk.

2. When walking, also try to have most of the weight in your gait fall exactly on the point where your arch ends and the bulge of the ball of the foot begins. The exact spot is the valley just short of and between the bulge in front of the big toe, and the bulge of the little toes.
Your heel should strike first, of course. Your ball and toes should push off, of course. But as you are doing the proper pattern keep attention on having the center of gravity be located in that one spot, called the 'bubbling springs' in Chinese.

Chances are that your whole body will come into proper alignment if you stick to these two principles.

alan k

http://www.acutai.com

Nancy S. on 10/02/00 at 21:40 (029651)

I tried these today, and they felt right. It kind of brought home to me just how whacked out my walking and body alignment are now. It took a lot of concentration to apply these tips. I will continue to concentrate.
Nancy